The Only Problem With Reviews

Bootman4U

That sounds like one brilliant flavour mix.Do you think I can request one in my suite??.[emoji38]

For a gin that is a little less expensive, but I think is still very good, try Hendricks Gin. It is best when chilled, so I keep a bottle in the refrigerator.

James

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Since we’re cherry pickin’, here are some other quotes from the same post.

“On a plus what I will say is that the size of the ship with only 1250 passengers was a nice plus.”

“Easy to embark and disembark in the various ports.”

“The furnishings were top notch and clean.”

“The bar staff were great.”

“The specialty restaurants were included in the price.”

“The balcony statement rooms are roomy and kept clean by the staff.”

“The beds are amazing and comfortable.”

The gall of that reviewer to say so many good things.

Actually I did try their Hollandaise sauce at the Terrace Grill next to where they grill food. It was ok but to get the taste out of my month I was forced to eat three lobster tails, two jumbo grill shrimp, a lamb chop and two crab legs. All I can say is keep serving that sauce :)

Yup, sounds like what I did and gained about 10 pounds. My BH was about to kill me. But it was a lot of fun. I just like to eat. And can do that well on Oceania. Can't wait for our next cruise. Not till Dec. Boo.... :):):)

Actually, the main problem with reviews is that they depend on opinions. And we all know what opinions are like.

You are so right. Also, things like food are subjective. A passenger could go into great detail as to why they didn't like their steak (for instance) but you could think that the steak was wonderful.

Although I have given positive reviews regarding our Riviera cruises, I was very specific about why I did not want to dine in the Terrace Café (and my experience was not subjective - no one wants to have pasta "cooked" in cold water or have someone pry a clam open before serving it). Obviously, there are many people who love the Terrace Café but for me, I don't think that I could ever face dining there again.

I don't want to leave this post on such a negative note so I must add that I could dine in Jacques every night and would be perfectly happy. My review of Jacques is very subjective and I know that there are people that do not care for that dining venue. However, I would be surprised if I were told that the food was as bad as what we had in the Terrace Café!

the quality or reality of a review can be gauged by the first few sentences which give insight not into the thing being reviewed but into the reviewer. There in lies the key.. entitled, aloof, picky, self important people set the tone Referencing their vast and superior taste and experience that lesser folks could well learn from. Key word that provide insight to the author is is they use the words " inedible or, "proper"in describing food or service...( Remember Eore in Winnie the Pooh) I chuckle when I read that.. It seems that some had a wonderful time, but that in the caustic world around them they are afraid to let others know that... for fear of having poor taste, lower class..etc

This verses the reviewer who is relating all the wonderful experiences they experienced and wants others to know and share their excitement and happiness.

You know in 30 years of cruising, . Looking back, I think got more than my moneys worth, never had a bad meal or a problem seriousness enough to detract from the overall experience....I can enjoy each experience for the pure beauty and joy it gives the moment. I can enjoy a chili dog sitting under a railroad bridge in a rain storm with a flat beer, just as much as a 3 hour 17 course Micheline 3*** like French Laundry, or PIC.... each has its a intrinsic pleasure in and of its' self

the quality or reality of a review can be gauged by the first few sentences which give insight not into the thing being reviewed but into the reviewer. There in lies the key.. entitled, aloof, picky, self important people set the tone Referencing their vast and superior taste and experience that lesser folks could well learn from. Key word that provide insight to the author is is they use the words " inedible or, "proper"in describing food or service...( Remember Eore in Winnie the Pooh) I chuckle when I read that.. It seems that some had a wonderful time, but that in the caustic world around them they are afraid to let others know that... for fear of having poor taste, lower class..etc

This verses the reviewer who is relating all the wonderful experiences they experienced and wants others to know and share their excitement and happiness.

You know in 30 years of cruising, . Looking back, I think got more than my moneys worth, never had a bad meal or a problem seriousness enough to detract from the overall experience....I can enjoy each experience for the pure beauty and joy it gives the moment. I can enjoy a chili dog sitting under a railroad bridge in a rain storm with a flat beer, just as much as a 3 hour 17 course Micheline 3*** like French Laundry, or PIC.... each has its a intrinsic pleasure in and of its' self

This is good.. But it sounds like it was written by my shrink. :):):)

This is good.. But it sounds like it was written by my shrink. :):):)

Ha... you make an interesting point.... of psychology. If you boil it down what we all see, feel, taste, hear really is a matter from where our head is.... Quite simply, it is you who choose what and how you feel about anything whether sadness , anger or elation.... all based on your decision t feel that way.....your choice of how you respond to anything you experience emotionally .

Reviews are , as we know, us expressing our chosen emotion for the subject.

I don't know, reviews mean very little. It really matters what you think. I've been on cruises that I enjoyed - but would hear others talking about how bad it was. Only you know whats right for you. And don't forget a few things always go wrong, it's how it's handled that really matters. Just a few weeks ago we we're fly to Hawaii from Palm Springs-a late flight, next thing we knew we're put in a taxi to LAX- not much fun-but why spoil your trip and get upset. I use to get upset over little things, life is to short-so sit back and enjoy it.

Rick

Thank you for the new word!!

I'm a crossword puzzle fanatic and I don't think I've ever heard/seen it.

I'm going to figure out a way to use it at work today. Shouldn't be too hard as I have a few meetings this morning...

I'm at a loss. What word is that?

I like reading reviews as well to find hints and tidbits about service on ships, etc. I write "live from" in a probably somewhat crazy style that is sure to drive some folks nuts. To me, the live from posts give me clues from not only the person going, but all of the experiences of those who are commenting as well. I get to learn, and I love that.

So this weekend, it is off to Royal Caribbean (for the first time) and the Liberty of the Seas. I'm looking forward to exploring a new ship, new line and new experiences with friends and family who are over-the-moon excited. I am going to attempt to post a "live from" there as well.

As Hawaiidan, PaulChili and others have thoughtfully posted, beauty is often in the eye of the beholder. I hope people keep posting no matter their style. We're bound to learn something!

You know in 30 years of cruising, . Looking back, I think got more than my moneys worth, never had a bad meal or a problem seriousness enough to detract from the overall experience....I can enjoy each experience for the pure beauty and joy it gives the moment

You mentioned last December that "We never liked Toscana... heavy oily, starch pasta cheese. Never figured out the fascination with Italian cooking." It doesn't sound like you enjoyed that experience much.

You mentioned last December that "We never liked Toscana... heavy oily, starch pasta cheese. Never figured out the fascination with Italian cooking." It doesn't sound like you enjoyed that experience much.

Your grasp of the English language is commendable as is your comprehension of it.... Your quite correct,you won't find me in Toscana or even a pizza joint.

I avoid Italian and Mexican cooking and its cuisine as much as possible and favor classic and new classic French as is produced by Keller, Pic and Troisgros In fact last weekend I flew to Lyon to dine at Pic.... ....delightful lite and exciting

• 9 months later...
Tiniest off topic, but reading a resturant review by a passenger eating out in Italy who complained that non of the waiters spoke English and there no Americans eating there, only locals. He hated it.

I could not get there fast enough.

Well put Nina. It seems to me that most Americans when traveling to Europe or other destinations, expect everything to be just like home.

James

Well put Nina. It seems to me that most Americans when traveling to Europe or other destinations, expect everything to be just like home.

James

(Highlighting mine)

This may have been true in the past; today I would like to think that many would be more accurate than most?

Maybe not.

Tiniest off topic, but reading a resturant review by a passenger eating out in Italy who complained that non of the waiters spoke English and there no Americans eating there, only locals. He hated it.

I could not get there fast enough.

But I would be following you.We always google family run non tourist restaurants.love them...especially in Italy.

Love all reviews and don't judge. Consider the source if you can to put things in perspective. Too vague or general is probably my only complaint. Alot of them are worth a good laugh, usually because they remind me of stuff that I once had happen. Thanks to the poster who added more detail from the original review, it shows that not only the review focused on detail but that those of us reading it may have too. Just read lots of reviews and take the average and you will probably set your expectations. Even then travel is always full of surprises.

Even after all the years of living abroad and traveling, I’m still amazed at the number of American tourists that head to Mc D, Burger King, or Subway in foreign ports and bypass all the wonderful local fresh cuisine. Next is the large group that nearly never eats off ship, but returns to the boat/ ship for every meal!

Panda Express is not authentic Chinese food, but try telling that to all the tourists that insist upon only eating aboard or at Americanized fast food joints! They believe Taco Bell is real Mexican !