Anyone Else Miss Postcards?

Jemery

I normally send between 50 and 75 postcards of the ship per cruise to friends and fellow travelers. On a recent Fascination cruise, I found out that Carnival has not offered them since about 2012! It used to be that you could get them from your cabin steward (free), the front desk (free), or from the gift shop (nominal charge). Now, they are nowhere to be found. Is that just the Fascination or is it fleet wide? Our last Carnival cruise before this was the Breeze in 2012, and they had postcards. Does anyone else miss them?

Thanks,

-John

I really don’t think people send post cards anymore, so it was a waste of money for them to continue to have. Now days, people take pics of their ships and make videos and post them for all to see. That’s what I do, and I’m a senior citizen and grandmother of 14, not the younger generation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

DD sends postcards. She uses an app, uploads her pix, adds her info and message. The company prints and mails her postcard.

Get those a lot quicker than her traditional snail mail ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

the next challenge is finding local stamps
I have some of those too, but don't remember where I found them, prolly souvenir shops. The local post office shouldn't be that hard to find either, since most Caribbean ports are smallish. Just a thought.

I remember several years ago being able to get postcards at Guest Services and buying stamps there too. I think it was our second (or maybe third) cruise that we decided to send a postcard to my sister and brother-in-law. There was even a mailbox in the ship's lobby for outgoing mail. Of course, at the time, it didn't occur to us that the outgoing mail wouldn't be going anywhere until we got back to our home port. I think we were back at home 5 or 6 days before they got our postcard. Of course, this was long before most of us had such things as home computers, email, Facebook, or cell phones.

There has been a ship postcard in the gift shop on the last seven cruises I have been on. I have a postcard from: Sensation 2/7/16, Inspiration 8/15/16, Fantasy 12/26/16, Triumph 2/9/17, Legend 5/8/17, and Dream 1/28/18. I didn't buy one, but it was still on the Triumph 1/20/18. I also have the shiny ship magnet postcard from the Sensation, Inspiration, Triumph, Legend, and Dream. The Fantasy was basically out. They only had two that were banged up.

The ship postcard is $0.50, and the ship magnet postcard is $6.95. The magnet postcard was $3.95 in February 2016 and $4.95 in August 2016. It has been $6.95 since at least February 2017.

I always hated postcards. They took so long to be received, it was easier to just hand them to the person. Of course, that defeats the purpose since you wanted the "exotic" postage stamp and cancellation stamp from the area you were visiting. Buying the postcards was easy enough, but getting the local postage and mailbox was difficult. They'd often get lost in the mail or when they did arrive, they'd be damaged.

Cell phones and Facebook work way better and faster than postcards ever were.