Tipping on ship?

I have surmised that it’s $14.95 a day per person for gratuity. So my girlfriend and I are looking at about $200 for the week.

A few questions though. If you purchase things like alcohol on your own, Starbucks, etc do they add on more gratuity than the standard one above?

I’m not trying to be insensitive or an arse, but I don’t feel $200 tips for a week is commensurate with our travels. We only eat with service for dinner. We do not really drink. I personally feel the tips should be given to the few people who directly take care of us like in real world dining etc.

I read you can opt out of automatic gratuities. My question is can I lower the amount for automatic by a good amount. And then I would individually tip my server and cabin attendant? I don’t want to opt out of automatic all together but I feel more of my tips should go to the people who directly are serving me for the week. Is this do able? Thank you in advance!

Yes, they do charge additional gratuities on all on-board purchases and yes, you can opt out of automatic gratuities. I would just point out that the autograts go to more than your cabin attendant and dining room waiter. The choice is yours.

PS: Buckle-up! It's a sensitive topic.

Lots of threads on this subject and very controversial.

All drinks will have an additional 18% gratuity added. If you purchase a drink package then the 18% is added to the package price.

Easiest way is to leave the automatic gratuities in place. That covers your room steward and all the dining locations. Your waiters work in different locations throughout the day. They might be your main waiters for dinner but you may see them in the buffet too. They still serve you drinks, clean tables and so on. Also covers miscellaneous behind the scenes staff that make your cruise enjoyable. Considering the number of people it covers and service received it’s not expensive.

Easier than trying to carry cash around and tip people as you eat etc. and trying to tip your room steward.

While I agree that the staff members that go above and beyond to make our vacations better should be compensated more and recognized, I think you are discounting the fact that there are many more people behind the scenes that are working just as hard or harder to accomplish the same for you. While you may notice the smile or kind words of your server at dinner, you do not see the dozen or so others that are making that servers job possible. Also, a portion of that gratuity goes to your room steward. Having seen the messes some people make of their rooms while the door is propped open for cleaning, I would say they more than earn their share.

I have surmised that it’s $14.95 a day per person for gratuity. So my girlfriend and I are looking at about $200 for the week.

A few questions though. If you purchase things like alcohol on your own, Starbucks, etc do they add on more gratuity than the standard one above?

I’m not trying to be insensitive or an arse, but I don’t feel $200 tips for a week is commensurate with our travels. We only eat with service for dinner. We do not really drink. I personally feel the tips should be given to the few people who directly take care of us like in real world dining etc.

I read you can opt out of automatic gratuities. My question is can I lower the amount for automatic by a good amount. And then I would individually tip my server and cabin attendant? I don’t want to opt out of automatic all together but I feel more of my tips should go to the people who directly are serving me for the week. Is this do able? Thank you in advance!

Tipping is a culture item, that is different based on where you are. Cruise ships have their own culture. For example, with the exception of bar drinks, you pay a "recommended" tip to certain groups of people. In the old days, you would give those same people cash. The difference today is that people don't like carrying cash, and so the auto tips, come up. Now, here is what happens, which happened in the 1990's and before, and is still happening today. The people you tip, also tip backwards. It has always happened. But today, the auto tip, handles this for them. Makes their life easier and better for everyone.

You have absolutely no idea how tips work behind the scenes, as well as I have no idea how it works. However, if you do pay cash, it still must be distributed, and they cruise lines have systems for making this calculation. By paying cash, all you would accomplish, is making it more complicated. The better system, is just accept that the auto tip is part of the price, prepay it, leave it alone. You could be like the many people, who just tip that amount, or you could be like others that hand a few extra dollars at the end of your trip.

My very first cruise, happening many, many years ago, my travel agent told me the "expected" average tip, and prior my trip, since I now accepted that it is part of my trip, I separated the tips out, and placed them in an envelop so I would not spend. So I actually kind of "prepaid" by holding the money separate. I don't remember, if I tipped more, but I can assure you, the service was great, and I keep coming back decades later. Plus, I still prepay my tips, because I don't want the hassle, of searching the ship for every person that did something for me.

It is $14.50 per person per day.

See? I just saved you ninety cents a day!

Please leave gratuities in place. They form the great majority of the staff's pay.

Thank you for the replies. I’m not intending to not tip anyone but my cabin attendant and main servers. I was just trying to see if I was able to make sure they get more piece of the pie I am contributing.

It is true tipping cultures vary. Through my extensive international travels I’ve learned America is a far bigger tipping culture. It frustrates me that big companies like cruise lines pay their workers so poor that cruisers are expected to pick up the tabs for these wonderful workers.

I used to work in the aviation industry. Everyday there are tons of people who work behind the scenes (and some in front) who get paid poor and get nothing in way of tips. Case and point a luggage handler who loads your plane. A check in agent who takes care of your reservation during irregular ops. It’s never expected nor norm to tip these ppl in these travel services. So I guess I don’t get why it is so common place for it to be drastically different for a cruise line.

I just don’t feel compared to normal hotels or restaurants in America it is like this. Tips are not at all spread around like that.

I’m sure those are words that offend some, but it’s true.

Thank you for the replies. I’m not intending to not tip anyone but my cabin attendant and main servers. I was just trying to see if I was able to make sure they get more piece of the pie I am contributing.

It is true tipping cultures vary. Through my extensive international travels I’ve learned America is a far bigger tipping culture. It frustrates me that big companies like cruise lines pay their workers so poor that cruisers are expected to pick up the tabs for these wonderful workers.

I used to work in the aviation industry. Everyday there are tons of people who work behind the scenes (and some in front) who get paid poor and get nothing in way of tips. Case and point a luggage handler who loads your plane. A check in agent who takes care of your reservation during irregular ops. It’s never expected nor norm to tip these ppl in these travel services. So I guess I don’t get why it is so common place for it to be drastically different for a cruise line.

I just don’t feel compared to normal hotels or restaurants in America it is like this. Tips are not at all spread around like that.

I’m sure those are words that offend some, but it’s true.

But you will be on a cruise ship. Tipping is part of the cost.

Many hotels have now included a "resort fee" that is like the auto tips that is found on the cruise line. My last conference was a four night affair, resort fee of $25 per day, and a resort fee tax of $1.63 and a resort fee occupancy tax of $1.50. I did not tip those who made up my bed or cleaned my room, nor did I tip the bellman who called for my cab (I would have if I hadn't been paying this resort fee). I paid $112.52 in total for four nights. I will not complain about the tips on the cruise line per day.

But you will be on a cruise ship. Tipping is part of the cost.

I understand that much. I would rather a better percentage go to those who specifically take care of me than it spread around to some who honestly had minute barring on my experience. There is a reason cruises cost a lot, you are paying for a whole experience, that SHOULD be included in the total cost.

Let’s be honest. The culture is how it is on cruise ships so that companies can underpay even more and expect travelers to pick up the slack. A lot of other countries don’t share this tipping culture like America does. Those who travel to countries like those in Europe, and Japan, would know this. Where tips are only nice but not really expected.

Many hotels have now included a "resort fee" that is like the auto tips that is found on the cruise line. My last conference was a four night affair, resort fee of $25 per day, and a resort fee tax of $1.63 and a resort fee occupancy tax of $1.50. I did not tip those who made up my bed or cleaned my room, nor did I tip the bellman who called for my cab (I would have if I hadn't been paying this resort fee). I paid $112.52 in total for four nights. I will not complain about the tips on the cruise line per day.

I'm not complaining at tipping during this cruise, I just do not feel people that had insanely little impact on my cruise deserve the same amount of my money as someone who has directly taken care of me. I do not feel the guy who is watching the kiddie pool deserves an equal shake of my contribution compared to the server who excellently serves me a three course meal 5 nights in a row.

As for fees, yeah it has gotten out of hand. The two worst are online ticket sites, who charge you for a ticket, then a convenience fee per person, then a service fee per person, then a handling fee per person. Turns say $50 tickets for an event into $75 a ticket at the end.

Cannot disagree with a lot of the thoughts expressed in OP's post. However, no matter how you try to rationalize it, the set amount pp/pd is the current structure for tipping on cruise ships and has to be considered as part of the cost of cruising, period.

And yes, I remember when envelopes were passed and tips given as one saw fit.

I'm not complaining at tipping during this cruise, I just do not feel people that had insanely little impact on my cruise deserve the same amount of my money as someone who has directly taken care of me. I do not feel the guy who is watching the kiddie pool deserves an equal shake of my contribution compared to the server who excellently serves me a three course meal 5 nights in a row.

As for fees, yeah it has gotten out of hand. The two worst are online ticket sites, who charge you for a ticket, then a convenience fee per person, then a service fee per person, then a handling fee per person. Turns say $50 tickets for an event into $75 a ticket at the end.

Just remove the service charge and tip as you go. That’s what we do, and never had an issue.

Have a great cruise!

Here's the gratuity breakdown per person per day:

Standard stateroom $14.50 per person per day:

Stateroom Attendant: $3.55

Dining & Culinary staff: $6.25

Other Hotel Services: $4.70

Suite $17.50 per person per day:

Stateroom Attendant: $6.20

Dining & Culinary staff: $6.25

Other Hotel Services: $5.05

Is the hotel resort fee given to the employees? I thought it was another charge that was made by the hotel and was simply income for the hotel.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

As someone who has been a server at a restaurant in the US, you are VERY wrong about restaurants not spreading the tips around. The guest doesn’t see it, and many that haven’t worked in a restaurant don’t realize, but at the vast majority of places the server “tips out” to a number of other roles. The amount to each role and which get tipped out varies depending on the restaurant. In my experience, for the most part, the nicer the restaurant, the larger the tip outs. That 15-20% you tip your sever at a US restaurant gets split between them, bartenders, barbacks, bussers, foodrunners, hosts, etc. It’s usually based on a percentage of your sales, so when a table doesn’t tip, or tips a small amount, that table can actually end up COSTING the server money. Because they still have to give the down-the-line tips even when they received nothing themselves. At some places I’ve worked, tip outs have been about 10% of sales-so anything below that and the server is paying to serve you.

Just wanted to put that out there. You may not agree with American tipping culture, and that’s fine. But a lot goes on behind the scenes that you aren’t aware of. Stiffing some people out of spite towards the way things work may have unintended consequences. You’re more than welcome to reduce or remove tips, but realize that some people you never see will be working to ensure you have a fabulous vacation. And not getting paid for the assistance they give you.

I also have a problem with the statement that by having cruisers tip - it allows the cruise line to not pay employees. You as a consumer will ALWAYS be the one paying the employees. You will do it with tips, or you will do it with a larger cruise fare. It's not the cruise line altruistically paying salaries without first collecting from a paying customer.

As for the nickel and diming of companies, I used to get upset with that. But I've come around on it as I view it this way: If I don't want to use a service, I don't have to pay for it. Previously, we all paid for those services if we used them or not. Now you can customize your experience and your costs.

I' pretty sure the pool attendant isn' included lol

I also have a problem with the statement that by having cruisers tip - it allows the cruise line to not pay employees. You as a consumer will ALWAYS be the one paying the employees. You will do it with tips, or you will do it with a larger cruise fare. It's not the cruise line altruistically paying salaries without first collecting from a paying customer.

Exactly! We are going to pay either way.

Why make things more difficult then need be? Leave the auto gratuities on, and give extra to anyone who goes above and beyond for you. Yes, the tips add up - especially on a long cruise, but it is what it is. I get so tired of reading about people who claim to object to the tips on a philosophical level, but in reality they just want to spend less money. So when you are at home in your own culture, tip what is the normal rate. But when you are on a cruise - go with what the cruise line suggest and you will be sure to take care of everyone who made your cruise fantastic.