Tipping on ship?

In addition to what Merion Mom posted, you can request as soon as you board or at any time during the cruise that they remove the automatic gratuities and tip the service as you see fit in cash. Pre-pay the full amount, be billed daily once onboard, or remove the automatic tips altogether and tip as you wish.

But it is kind of interesting when people only inform you about the options that they would approve of you taking.

I don't think you'll find people disagreeing that it would simplify things to include it in the cruise fare. Unfortunately, it isn't. When a family of 4 book an inside cabin, they are booking a cruise with tipping guidelines for all passengers, not just U.S. passengers. While it may not be the custom in European countries to tip, it is the custom on most cruise lines, including the one they booked an inside cabin for 4. I listened to my American son in law complain about paying tips on his child for years and he would stiff the crew with tips...and I would add the money so that the entire crew, making the cruise special not only for him, but for his child would get their tips. When I book a trip to Disney at a Disney resort, I do the research to know what is included and what I'm expected to pay for at the resort. When I went to Europe, I did the research prior to the trip to know what was included. You can't say "they don't expect" because it's right there in the basic FAQ's for the cruise line. What they are saying is they don't like it and don't want to budget for it.

I am from the UK and I find some of the remarks from Americans on this forum judgemental as well as offensive when it comes to tipping etiquette.

Sorry, it works both ways. British by birth, and lived and traveled in the UK for many years. I am now a US citizen and have been for many, many years. Very much understand the tipping difference/cultural differences.

However, many UK residents blame tipping on the Americans. It's always "our fault." These comments are just as offensive.

When trying to explain wage differences (not just on cruise lines), in my own state restaurant workers make $3 per hour, the attitude is that's not my fault or I don't care - makes it cheaper for me. There are also many US residents on these boards, same ones all the time, who brag about never paying tips on a cruise or at home.

I can never understand why people can't accept that the tips are part of the cruise. Think of it as a service charge or whatever. If you don't like it, don't cruise, don't visit countries where tipping is the norm. When in Rome do as the Romans do etc.

you can change or cancel this onboard at reception if you want and pay cash to your cabin/waiters

staff do not know if you have cancelled/changed this (posted by someone else)

There is a list of those who pre-pay and are auto-paying. They DO KNOW!

you can change or cancel this onboard at reception if you want and pay cash to your cabin/waiters

staff do not know if you have cancelled/changed this (posted by someone else)

There is a list of those who pre-pay and are auto-paying. They DO KNOW!

You know this for sure, or is just something that you have read on a forum? I believe there was a thread last year that counters what you have written.

Not really. People have access to all of the posting not just what is selected to quote. Withheld information is a different matter.

Perhaps but your quote seems to imply that the poster you quoted was only giving information they would approve of you taking, when in fact they were adding additional information to that of Merion_Mom.

Perhaps but your quote seems to imply that the poster you quoted was only giving information they would approve of you taking, when in fact they were adding additional information to that of Merion_Mom.

Ahhh, but you misunderstood my post. My point was that ANOTHER person left out the piece of information that reds4life then kindly supplied.

Ahhh, but you misunderstood my post. My point was that ANOTHER person left out the piece of information that reds4life then kindly supplied.

I'm sorry I must have. So easy to misunderstand the written word as evidenced on these boards by the bucket full at times.

Actually if it was included it (price) could come down as all the people who cancelled could no longer.

The staff would be happy as they will still get additional tips and a guaranteed wage.

The Americans would be happy as they can still tip more.

I like this reasoning. :)

From the first page of this thread.

Here's the gratuity breakdown per person per day:

Standard stateroom $14.50 per person per day:

Stateroom Attendant: $3.55

Dining & Culinary staff: $6.25

Other Hotel Services: $4.70

Suite $17.50 per person per day:

Stateroom Attendant: $6.20

Other Hotel Services: $5.05

Before the increase to $14 50 the breakdown for Gratuities was as follows

Stateroom attendant $3 75

HOUSE Keeping $1 30

Dinning room

Waiter $3.50

Assistant waiter $2.85

Head Waiter $0.75

Dinning room services $1.35

total $13,50 per person a day

or £10 a day each

additional gratuities on drinks etc 18% added unless sailing out of the UK or Australia where the tip is included in the bar price

We brits are not used to this and of course causes problems for new cruisers

to ask a family with two young children in an inside cabin to pay nearly £300 a week service charges can cause problems

I asked the CEO why not include tips in the cruise price his reply was do you want to pay more?

why would I be paying more? the total would be the same

Actually if it was included it (price) could come down as all the people who cancelled could no longer.

the staff would be happy as they will still get additional tips and a guaranteed wage.

The Americans would be happy as they can still tip more.

Many hotels have now included a "resort fee" that is like the auto tips that is found on the cruise line. My last conference was a four night affair, resort fee of $25 per day, and a resort fee tax of $1.63 and a resort fee occupancy tax of $1.50. I did not tip those who made up my bed or cleaned my room, nor did I tip the bellman who called for my cab (I would have if I hadn't been paying this resort fee). I paid $112.52 in total for four nights. I will not complain about the tips on the cruise line per day.

I know of no hotel anywhere that indicates the resort fee is paid directly or indirectly to the employees. Most properties specify the amenities it covers: pool access, fitness facilities, wifi, newspaper, phone calls, etc...

There are plenty of debates about resort fees out there. But never once have I heard anyone intimate that it is "like the auto tips". Furthermore, if the resort is in the U.S. then the workers are paid a higher wage (non-waitstaff isn't exempt), and many of them are unionized, meaning their wages are even better. Claiming a resort fee frees you from a gratuity you would otherwise provide is complete fallacy.

As someone that lives in a resort area most of the lodgings here that charge a resort fee are just bundling small minor municipality surcharges or nuisance "taxes". One hotel manager I know once showed me that they are required to pay a $5.00 per day for each day the pool or hot tubs are open as an excess sewerage fee, a $35 per month capital road improvement fee (because they have a local road access in addition to their highway entrance), and since they have central station smoke alarms and alarm system on the office with panic button a $2500 per year "false" alarm response assessment. Of course all this (and some other fees) translates into something like a $1.95 per night per room resort fee. And it needs to be recorded separately for the owners or the business is taxed on it as part of the income.

Let me guess - the amount you tip in cash in no way comes close to the suggested amount. Feel really bad for those who have to serve you and the rest of the despicable cheapskates, most of whom come from non-tipping societies.
That's what I was thinking too.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Forums mobile app

As someone that lives in a resort area most of the lodgings here that charge a resort fee are just bundling small minor municipality surcharges or nuisance "taxes". One hotel manager I know once showed me that they are required to pay a $5.00 per day for each day the pool or hot tubs are open as an excess sewerage fee, a $35 per month capital road improvement fee (because they have a local road access in addition to their highway entrance), and since they have central station smoke alarms and alarm system on the office with panic button a $2500 per year "false" alarm response assessment. Of course all this (and some other fees) translates into something like a $1.95 per night per room resort fee. And it needs to be recorded separately for the owners or the business is taxed on it as part of the income.

This is one of the more convoluted and nonsensical explanations of resort fees I've every heard. It's also completely false. Resort fees exist for one reason and one reason only: They can have a lower room price when people search. There is absolutely no requirement that certain charges "be recorded separately". The operator may choose to do that for their bookkeeping purposes. But pretty much everything in this post is garbage.

100 people will have 99 different opinions on this. I'll say.....do what makes you comfortable. You're on vacation and you're there to relax. Do what will ever make you relax. And don't feel obliged to do what anyone else does.

Now for my Mrs and me, we don't believe in tipping. We believe in over tipping. We pay the daily rate. We also slip the cabin attendant some extra cash the day we embark, and if service was exceptional we slip him a little more aT the end. Similarly, we'll provide extra tips for our MDR server, his/her assistant and the bar server. If service was exceptional, we hit the room manager with a tip too. We also usually get the deluxe drink package, but we'll bring a load of singles to tip our favorite bartenders every time we get a drink. That's us. I don't suggest you do the same unless that what you want to do.

BARTENDER.......7 BLUE HAWAIIANS PLEASE.

29433271_10216067154017648_2107795611859288064_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=393faa8f3773d9783ef05af2e5b0089e&oe=5B7EEFF0

Edited by zdad59

100 people will have 99 different opinions on this. I'll say.....do what makes you comfortable. You're on vacation and you're there to relax. Do what will ever make you relax. And don't feel obliged to do what anyone else does.

Now for my Mrs and me, we don't believe in tipping. We believe in over tipping. We pay the daily rate. We also slip the cabin attendant some extra cash the day we embark, and if service was exceptional we slip him a little more a the end. Similarly, we'll provide extra tips for our MDR server, his/her assistant and the bar server. If service was exceptional, we hit the room manager with a tip too. We also usually get the deluxe drink package, but we'll bring a load of singles to tip our favorite bartenders every time we get a drink. That's us. I don't suggest you do the same unless that what you want to do.

WAITER.......7 BLUE HAWAIIANS PLEASE.

29433271_10216067154017648_2107795611859288064_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=393faa8f3773d9783ef05af2e5b0089e&oe=5B7EEFF0

Just want to say I love you 😂😂😂

Case in point of cruise lines overcharging. If I only eat dinner in the MDR, then for my family of 4, that's a $25 tip for one meal. Yes, I know some people eat 3 meals in the MDR, order 10 drinks a day, have people bring them room service, towels, etc. But, that's not us. I'm not being a cheapskate with this, but that's out of line for a tip for my one meal. Thus, everyone is different. If you feel like the "suggested" amount is appropriate for the services you receive then by all mean keep the auto tips. I don't, but I do tip a reasonable amount based on the services I receive in cash at my discretion.