Tipping on ship?

In the old days "other" hotel services was not a part of the suggested tips.

Royal shows more profit as cruisers are now paying this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually in the old days other was included as one charge with the Room Attendant. Totals of the 3 is similar totals of only Waitstaff and Room Attendant in past. Total tips hasn't kept up with inflation over the years...

I put myself through college working as a busboy. Wait staff , bus staff, and bar staff were not paid mininum wage. The expectation by the Gov't was that tips would make up the difference.

Wait staff obviously would get the tips and then a certain porption was allocated to the bus staff and bar staff based on sales. For Bar only guests the Bar tender would tip out the bar backs based on bar only sales.

If the bus staff didn't clear a table and reset it then you would not have table to seat at, so we deserved a portion of the tips.

I really think everyone should spend some time in restaurant or retail.

Getting back to cruises...

We have been on close to 100 cruises, and when sitting in the buffett, we normally have someone clearing our dirty dishes and offering refills.

I have not gotten any dishes taken away until we leave. Never got a refill. Again, if the wait staff wants to split the tips with the bus boy, dish washer, etc. then they can do that. Keep wasting your money, but I prefer not to.

If they take my plates away and refill my drinks then I'll have no problem tipping them as I would at a similar buffet restaurant on land. I have no problem doing that. We'll see if it happens really soon. That's STILL not close to the ridiculous $406 they try to justify. Keep preaching from your internet soapboxes and I'll keep smiling and counting my money I'm saving :)

If the current system would not have a profit for the cruiseline - they would have changed it a long time ago! ;)

If the current gratuity system didn't retain their employees, the cruiseline would have changed it long ago.

Cheap people will always rationalize their actions. That doesn't make them less cheap. I feel blessed that my family can afford to cruise. There is no way that I would remove gratuities from hard working crew members. Anyone who feels it is ok, in fact their 'right' to stiff the crew is not someone I would want as a friend. You can pontificate all you want about how the cruise lines 'should' pay their staff a living wage, but in reality, the crew all work on a gratuity basis. They knew that when they signed their contract. But YOU also knew that when you booked YOUR cruise. Pretty low to know full well how things work, and then make excuses about why you are cheating the crew.

The cruise contract is the contract in place it clearly says these fees are optional and can be removed. If a person wants to remove that is within their rights.Members do not have no right to question what other members do or to call them cheap.

The cruise contract is the contract in place it clearly says these fees are optional and can be removed. If a person wants to remove that is within their rights.Members do not have no right to question what other members do or to call them cheap.

So they do have rights!

Example:

Current system:

7 night cruise. Cruise fare 1000. Gratuities $101.(50)

Your proposed system:

7 night cruise. Cruise fare 1101.(50)

You are going to pay one way or the other. Your thinking is skewed - definitely NOT clear.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. (or not)

I hope that you have the balls to inform the staff on your honeymoon cruise that you will not be tipping them. And your new spouse. I hope that the two of you have compatible financial outlooks.

+1 totally agree.

Meanness is a quality not liked by some of us and hopefully his wife to be doesn't let him stiff the crew who will be doing their best to make their honeymoon special.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Forums mobile app

+1 totally agree.

Meanness is a quality not liked by some of us and hopefully his wife to be doesn't let him stiff the crew who will be doing their best to make their honeymoon special.

You'r agreeing with a poster making assumptions. The poster Kingofthegame wrote they would opt out and thought the tips high, nowhere did they write they did not intend to tip (it may be implied ) .

Have you met people who did not pre-pay or removed their gratuities, if so was their level of service effected. Do you know if they tipped individuals? Was it more or less than recommended.

So many variables to allow your nickers be twisted. :D

Can't you tell Im bored watching TV:cool:

Example:

Current system:

7 night cruise. Cruise fare 1000. Gratuities $101.(50)

Your proposed system:

7 night cruise. Cruise fare 1101.(50)

You are going to pay one way or the other. Your thinking is skewed - definitely NOT clear.

Agreed definitely not clear, what is the meaning to (50)?

Any time money has to go through RCCL I am sure some will be removed for administration whether included in the fare or pre paid. In the days of the envelopes, all the money(no administration fee) went to those who deserved to be tipped.

You'r agreeing with a poster making assumptions. The poster Kingofthegame wrote they would opt out and thought the tips high, nowhere did they write they did not intend to tip (it may be implied ) .

Have you met people who did not pre-pay or removed their gratuities, if so was their level of service effected. Do you know if they tipped individuals? Was it more or less than recommended.

Yes I know family who are tightwads and what they do.

The same ones who accepted a 30 day luxury cruise and stay around Australia and NewZealand off me for their 60th birthday then didn't even get me as much as a birthday card for my 60th birthday a year later.

I have no time for meanness.

Cheap people will always rationalize their actions. That doesn't make them less cheap. I feel blessed that my family can afford to cruise. There is no way that I would remove gratuities from hard working crew members. Anyone who feels it is ok, in fact their 'right' to stiff the crew is not someone I would want as a friend. You can pontificate all you want about how the cruise lines 'should' pay their staff a living wage, but in reality, the crew all work on a gratuity basis. They knew that when they signed their contract. But YOU also knew that when you booked YOUR cruise. Pretty low to know full well how things work, and then make excuses about why you are cheating the crew.

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT ON.

Yeah, can’t even man up and cancel the grats on the first day....

I totally agree,some people are selfish,thick skinned and lack any morals whatsoever and I have no time for them.

We now remove the service charge and tip as we go. Didn’t notice any decline in the service provided. In may have even gotten better if we get the same waiter later in the cruise. Have a great trip!

No real need to retain staff or pay them anymore because for every worker now on the ships 25 plus more ready to take the jobs. When people shop for anything do you look for the highest price or the best deal? Same with cruise lines, hundreds of people ready to take every job.

That is pretty funny. You say the cruise lines have no need to retain staff as plenty of people are ready to jump into the position. Every time people around here threaten to change cruise lines or stop cruising they are told the lines don't care as plenty of people are ready to take your place.

A cruise line must be the easiest business to run. They have no issue with either labor or customer supply lines.:rolleyes:

That is pretty funny. You say the cruise lines have no need to retain staff as plenty of people are ready to jump into the position. Every time people around here threaten to change cruise lines or stop cruising they are told the lines don't care as plenty of people are ready to take your place.

A cruise line must be the easiest business to run. They have no issue with either labor or customer supply lines.:rolleyes:

I think on disembarkion day you realise your just a number and the next group of passengers are their priority

I think on disembarkion day you realise your just a number and the next group of passengers are their priority

I have always said that on the last morning your cruise is over. It is time to step aside and let the next group have their time. Unlike other vacation industries, the cruise lines have to turn over an entire ship in a matter of a very few hours. After being treated as well as we are all week it makes the change in attitude on the last morning all the more noticeable. But for those of us who love cruising we have learned to deal with the stresses that occur with this industry on turn over day.

I would argue that you should never do anything because it is "suggested." The amounts are way out of line with traditional US tipping norms.

Just what do you base that on? If my husband and I ate out 3X day on vacation, we would probably spend close to $25 -$30 per day on tips just at restaurants, (Breakfast $5 - Lunch $10 - Dinner $20.) More if the restaurants are on the pricey side.

Just what do you base that on? If my husband and I ate out 3X day on vacation, we would probably spend close to $25 -$30 per day on tips just at restaurants, (Breakfast $5 - Lunch $10 - Dinner $20.) More if the restaurants are on the pricey side.

Exactly. Gratuities for two for my upcoming cruise barely make up 10% of the cruise cost. I tip no less than 20% on land for decent service.