Wine Protection

I have not used either of your options. I wrap my bottles in bubble wrap and make sure they have other layers of cloth around them. Whatever you use, they need to be in your carry-on. We have a small rolling duffel and it works well. Very little likely hood of dropping and breaking.

Good luck.

I decided to go with this option.

Do we know what restrictions there are on corkscrews? Should I just go with one like this?

Just ask your cabin steward or a bar waiter or bartender for a corkscrew after you board - Royal will give you one that looks just like the one in your pic. (except it'll be white and it'll say Royal Caribbean on it in blue...I know this to be true as I have 4 or 5 of them in my kitchen drawer. :D)

Judy

I pack our wine bottles in a bubble sleeve that dishes go inside when you are packing. I seal the bubble sleeves with tape. Then I put the protected bottle in a large zip lock bag and place it inside my back pack to carry on board the ship. The zip lock baggie is to help prevent any seepage should the bottle break, but it really shouldn't break if you are carrying it on board in a carryon. I did have a bottle break one time, though, that I had checked at the airport. It was quite the smelly mess when the bag came down the conveyor belt for collection after the flight. My husband's socks were all a nice, rosy hue. Hence the zip lock bag now. The zip lock bag can be reused later as you wish.

I bought a few bags that were a protective sleeves and absorber in case the wine bottle broke. Carried 4 bottles and none of them broke. They are totally re usable.

I am looking on Amazon trying to find some wine bottle protection while traveling to get onto our cruise. Are any of you using with great success any of the products on Amazon. A couple of them that I am looking at are this one and this one.

Amazon also has a wine diaper bag which is similar but also includes an absorbent liner in case the bottle breaks. The first one you noted has plenty of reviews on amazon. You might want to check those out.

One thing to consider is using a hard sided luggage as additional protection.

Water wings from the local dollar store work, too...

https://www.dollartree.com/Splash-N-Swim-Inflatable-Arm-Bands/p336950/index.pro

I went this route when we went to Costa Rica on a mission trip but wound up buying some wine and needed to protect it. Found some at a KB like toy store in a mall. It did the trick but wanted something else.

Whatever you use, they need to be in your carry-on.

For the ship, NOT for the airplane. Only once have we taken a bottle with us (Opus One) for a NYE cruise. Otherwise, it's not worth the trouble. We just find a wine store close to the port and buy what we need.

We have a Wine Diaper and luckily have never had to put it to the test.

I think most any tightly sealed option will work. I bought these: https://www.amazon.com/WINEVINCI-Reusable-Wine-Bottle-Protector/dp/B076FXLW9L/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1527170582&sr=1-1&keywords=wine+vinci because I had gone the route of plastic garbage bag and tightly wrapped clothes, but still ended up with a broken beer bottle in my suitcase. These saved beer and wine on my last flight which was in a smallish soft side suitcase.

I've seen the ones with absorbent material inside in case the bottle does break, but I hesitated to get them because the ones I was looking at didn't have velcro seals so weren't usable multiple times.

I hope that helps!

These are the ones that I use. I have had no issues using them. I pack them in my suitcase for the flight, then transfer them to my carry on the next day for the port.

An empty toner cartridge box with the bubble wrap has been my go-to. Wine bottle fits perfectly inside the bubble wrap the toner comes in and then I put inside the box and pack in my luggage. Been perfect several times now (knock on wood).

that is a really good idea.

NCDisDad, been using a product like MonTien for around ten years. I take it on ALL my vacations (2 to 4 a year). First night I have a bottle of wine for us to enjoy with out going on the hunt for a store.

And if I want to bring something back that is liquid, no problem.

I decided to go with this option.

Do we know what restrictions there are on corkscrews? Should I just go with one like this?

The corkscrew they will provide to you onboard is just like that one. They are hard to use, as there's not much leverage.

I prefer a "waiter's corkscrew", but you need to get one without the knife foil cutter built in, which would get it confiscated.

These are the ones that I use. I have had no issues using them. I pack them in my suitcase for the flight, then transfer them to my carry on the next day for the port.

Glad to hear they work well! I plan on bringing home some good liquors from my cruise!

I travel with bottles a lot in checked bags (picking up interesting things all over the world, or good Scotch in duty free on the way out).

I just put them in the middle of the suitcase and wrap a couple of t-shirts around them.

I have lost 2 bottles in over 25 years of travel. One got packed in the corner of a soft side, and it got dropped on that corner. And the other, just broke, no idea why, I suspect defective bottle.

The corkscrew they will provide to you onboard is just like that one. They are hard to use, as there's not much leverage.

I prefer a "waiter's corkscrew", but you need to get one without the knife foil cutter built in, which would get it confiscated.

This is the type I use. It's TSA approved to carry thru security.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ARYJNG/ref=asc_df_B001ARYJNG5487216/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B001ARYJNG&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167160189497&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8195343346095699195&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010587&hvtargid=pla-305062035529

Amazon also has a wine diaper bag which is similar but also includes an absorbent liner in case the bottle breaks. The first one you noted has plenty of reviews on amazon. You might want to check those out.

One thing to consider is using a hard sided luggage as additional protection.

This is the one I have used numerous times. Never a break or leak :)