New Dress Code Designations?

bluemarble

Having spent my whole working like in Marketing I would be very surprised if Cunard would make changes without doing research.Perhaps they could supply some research justification that current passengers support a change in the dress code.It would then be possible for informed discussion to take place.

It doesn't matter what current passengers support. What matters to Cunard is how many future passengers they will be able to attract and it is clear that a more relaxed does code is what will help them accomplish higher sales. So all this bickering is a clear waste of time.

It doesn't matter what current passengers support. What matters to Cunard is how many future passengers they will be able to attract and it is clear that a more relaxed does code is what will help them accomplish higher sales. So all this bickering is a clear waste of time.

Your points have value.

However, one has a concern regarding those who wish to push the dress code further down, only to satisfy their disrespectful attitude of "I'll dress how I want.

In the past one has called the Host's attention to groups of miscreants in the Theatre, who has acted promptly.

One will now raise the stakes in the Theatre, buy calling members of the crew, and/or security to attend any miscreant/s, then accompanying Cunard people to publically attend them. If one, or a member of Cunard, crew receives any abuse, one will make an official complaint, push have the miscreants disembarked and placed on a No Sail List.

No doubt the disembarked will then turn to social media platforms, but all their bickering will be a clear waste of time.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
typo

I am sorry but you obviously know nothing about business.If your current customers do not support your philosophy they you will die waiting for your new customers to spend their money

Having spent my whole working like in Marketing I would be very surprised if Cunard would make changes without doing research.Perhaps they could supply some research justification that current passengers support a change in the dress code.It would then be possible for informed discussion to take place.

What I find interesting are posts on here quoting a statement from Cunard about their marketing research which, to my mind anyway, tends to support the conclusion that current customers are happy with the dress code as-is. In case you missed it, I believe it was ashley@cruisecritic who first mentioned this quote from Cunard in post #318 on this thread.

"We have completed extensive global research with over 13,000 guests who told us that they love the glamour of a Cunard voyage; the chance to dress up is something that is becoming increasingly rare yet increasingly desirable."

Well this all very interesting. We have cruised many times with a variety of cruise lines. We have just booked 26 nights on QM2 for 2019/2020. Because this is effectively two TA's with a Caribbean cruise sandwiched in the middle we shall have 16 formal nights. This is one of the reasons we booked this as we both love dressing up.

However if what this thread is saying is actually true, as opposed to a load of people who do not cruise expressing a wrong opinion (I believe this is what Trump refers to as "Fake News"!!) then we will have no choice but to cancel the cruise.

As we are on QV in October this year then we will check what is going on then. The QM2 cruise will be the first time we have been in Britannia restaurant as opposed to the grills so that on it's own will be an interesting experience but we felt it would be better to spend Christmas and the new year with lots of other people rather then a select few in the grills.

It will be nice to see how it all works out.

Peter and Jenny

What I find interesting are posts on here quoting a statement from Cunard about their marketing research which, to my mind anyway, tends to support the conclusion that current customers are happy with the dress code as-is. In case you missed it, I believe it was ashley@cruisecritic who first mentioned this quote from Cunard in post #318 on this thread.

"We have completed extensive global research with over 13,000 guests who told us that they love the glamour of a Cunard voyage; the chance to dress up is something that is becoming increasingly rare yet increasingly desirable."

My apologies, it was Blu-iTT who first mentioned this quote from Cunard about their research in post #173 on this thread. Just wanted to set the record straight on that point to give credit where credit is due.

Having been on the QM2 world cruise from Sydney to Southampton this year I can assure you that my information is fact and not opinion.Along with others I did see people walking through the dining room in the evening in shorts and flip flops,a woman at dinner wearing a hoody,another wearing a leather bikers jacket.Numerous men without jackets in the dining room.Some wearing just sweaters or short sleeve shirts in the theatre and the famous man who wore boots,jeans,t shirt,scarf and flat cap and was still allowed in the theatre !!!!!!!

Thank you, I am glad you noticed and I am not a loan voice. I believe those doing sectors Australia/Asia etc were the miscreants, enough said.:o

Cunard cannot fill their ships on the world cruise with a full load to and from Southampton, so a lot of packages are done for sector passengers from Australia/NZ and Asia.

Anyway I wore my new dark grey suit on formal nights. So this Colonial complied.

Thank you, I am glad you noticed and I am not a loan voice. I believe those doing sectors Australia/Asia etc were the miscreants, enough said.:o

Cunard cannot fill their ships on the world cruise with a full load to and from Southampton, so a lot of packages are done for sector passengers from Australia/NZ and Asia.

Anyway I wore my new dark grey suit on formal nights. So this Colonial complied.

NSWP

I'm finding this thread absolutely hilarious, getting my daily dose of laughs.

We are going on our first Cunard cruise (in fact two) in June after numerous mass market (this threads description, not mine) cruises. We love cruising and my husband and I love to dress up, so we will be doing the ball gown/tuxedo thing, but will be too intent on having a great fun time to worry about what others are wearing. What a waste of my time. I don't care if someone else doesn't want to get dressed up, I do, so that's all that matters to me.

I will wear what ever I like during the day.

Our cruises are out of Southhampton.

Cheers

NSWP

I'm finding this thread absolutely hilarious, getting my daily dose of laughs.

We are going on our first Cunard cruise (in fact two) in June after numerous mass market (this threads description, not mine) cruises. We love cruising and my husband and I love to dress up, so we will be doing the ball gown/tuxedo thing, but will be too intent on having a great fun time to worry about what others are wearing. What a waste of my time. I don't care if someone else doesn't want to get dressed up, I do, so that's all that matters to me.

I will wear what ever I like during the day.

Our cruises are out of Southhampton.

Cheers

No worries I hope you enjoy your Cunard voyage, great to see a Colonial prepared to dress up, even more impressive from a Queenslander, lol. Above all, enjoy.

Tally Ho old chap.

No worries I hope you enjoy your Cunard voyage, great to see a Colonial prepared to dress up, even more impressive from a Queenslander, lol. Above all, enjoy.

Tally Ho old chap.

We are no miscreants, and I can assure you we are quite civilised here in Queensland! 😂😇

27 pages and still going strong!!

Am I right in thinking that the 'new dress God's doesn't start until June? I couldn't be bothered to trawl through the thread. If so, let's wait until someone comes back from the cruise and tells us what happened

27 pages and still going strong!!

Am I right in thinking that the 'new dress God's doesn't start until June? I couldn't be bothered to trawl through the thread. If so, let's wait until someone comes back from the cruise and tells us what happened

starts with QE q818 10th June Baltic which we are on

I am sorry but you obviously know nothing about business.If your current customers do not support your philosophy they you will die waiting for your new customers to spend their money

That is absolutely true! But it may be that many current customers (perhaps even the majority) do support Cunards' philosophy, in relation to dress code. On that basis the apparent strategy to transition dress code, probably over a two year period, to something less than formal may be the right thing to do. Just because I, or some others, might not like that is not a reason to not change. Generally it is businesses who do not recognise the need for change who die.

We have 41 cruises to date, with 13 different cruiselines, including 3 cruises (not the Atlantic crossing) on the QM2. We loved the QM2, and thoroughly enjoyed the formality. At the other end of the scale we have sailed NCL a few times, and enjoyed their casual ethos. Some here have 'trashed' HAL but, in our experience and most recently in Feb/March, the dress experience on their Gala nights is very good. I would describe it as akin to what Cunard used to call semi-formal i.e. the one that was between formal and smart casual (and a minority were 'formal', and did not look out of place). Those who chose to dress 'smart casual' on those evenings were very smart, and only a very few were in 'dumb down' mode. All managed to exist together, without caring (or glaring!!) about what others were wearing!

What is my point? We are early 60's and our generation generally dress much more casually than previous 60/70's generation. The feeling that Cunard are transitioning gradually to a somewhat less formal dress culture, for me, holds no fear and we will continue to comply and respect the stated dress codes on all future cruises.

That is absolutely true! But it may be that many current customers (perhaps even the majority) do support Cunards' philosophy, in relation to dress code. On that basis the apparent strategy to transition dress code, probably over a two year period, to something less than formal may be the right thing to do. Just because I, or some others, might not like that is not a reason to not change. Generally it is businesses who do not recognise the need for change who die.

We have 41 cruises to date, with 13 different cruiselines, including 3 cruises (not the Atlantic crossing) on the QM2. We loved the QM2, and thoroughly enjoyed the formality. At the other end of the scale we have sailed NCL a few times, and enjoyed their casual ethos. Some here have 'trashed' HAL but, in our experience and most recently in Feb/March, the dress experience on their Gala nights is very good. I would describe it as akin to what Cunard used to call semi-formal i.e. the one that was between formal and smart casual (and a minority were 'formal', and did not look out of place). Those who chose to dress 'smart casual' on those evenings were very smart, and only a very few were in 'dumb down' mode. All managed to exist together, without caring (or glaring!!) about what others were wearing!

What is my point? We are early 60's and our generation generally dress much more casually than previous 60/70's generation. The feeling that Cunard are transitioning gradually to a somewhat less formal dress culture, for me, holds no fear and we will continue to comply and respect the stated dress codes on all future cruises.

Currently, the key code word in the informal dress code is "Required", but from 12 June the key word in the dress code (informal/smart) becomes "Requested", with additional wording stating "Suggested".

This being a previous identical act by Carnival, RCL, Princess, and Celebrity, and we are fully aware what happened to the dress code on these Lines, when they also declared the dress code to be "Just a change of wording".

Regardless of the current " I will do/wear what I want brigade" The fact is that there is currently a dress code that is being ignored a certain type and usually in certain areas of the world..The new code will also be ignored by the same people who will insist on going a step further.Casual will become jeans and baseball caps.If this is the case Cunard will soon find many people will no longer pay a premium for a product that is no different from others.Then what do they do? We will get the singing waiters and belly flop competitions.My suggestion is to try the new dress code on ONE of the ships,perhaps the Queen Elizabeth and see what actually happens to business.It would give everyone an opportunity to travel in the atmosphere and surroundings that suits them

....This being a previous identical act by Carnival, RCL, Princess, and Celebrity, and we are fully aware what happened to the dress code on these Lines, when they also declared the dress code to be "Just a change of wording".

I am not arguing that it is not "just a change of wording", rather the opposite! Cunard have clearly embarked (no pun intended) on a dress code transition strategy and, in my opinion, the timescale is probably two years. If Cunard dress code evolves in a similar manner to HAL, there is nothing to fear IMHO....some others, doubtless, will feel differently.

I am not arguing that it is not "just a change of wording", rather the opposite! Cunard have clearly embarked (no pun intended) on a dress code transition strategy and, in my opinion, the timescale is probably two years. If Cunard dress code evolves in a similar manner to HAL, there is nothing to fear IMHO....some others, doubtless, will feel differently.

Thank you for directing CC people to the HAL dress code, and note the dress code for the special Gala Nights, to evoke the grand traditions of cruising.

Copy/Paste

• Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including our five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, collared shirts and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants.

No doubt sandals or flip-flops (without socks) will complete the ensemble. This to impress your fellow guests, adding greatly to the dining ambience of that special Gala Evening.

This too has been our experience on Cunard. I do not believe that the the opinions on this thread necessarily represent the majority of people who cruise with Cunard. We will be taking our first transatlantic cruise next month and I will be watching what people actually wear on formal and informal nights with great interest.

I will not offer any opinion, just observations based on seven Atlantic crossings on the QM2. We have travelled in all four restaurant categories and I can say there was little difference in the standards of dress. The dress code, as published, was generally adhered to. There will always be a couple of men, even in the Grills, who will go to dinner without a jacket on an informal night or without a tie on formal nights. I have never seen them barred, just discreetly spoken to by the maitre d' and they respected the dress code from that point.

My observations are that between one third and half of men will wear an "optional tie" on informal nights. On formal nights, dinner jackets/tuxedos were worn by 80% to 90% of gents, except once in Britannia first sitting when it was about 50%.

Most women did not wear ball gowns as Cinderella would; most wore long dresses, cocktail dresses or formal pant suits.

In addition to these crossings we have cruised on the QM2 and crossed or cruised on other Cunard ships and my observations are similar. I am optimistic that there will be little change in my observations - at least in the dining rooms. I look forward to reading trip reports from later this year.

I've been looking back, there was exactly the same fuss in 2013, when the dress code was last updated and ties were no longer required for informal nights. In my view that was a great step forward.

From a male perspective

Formal nights with a DJ /Tuxedo are what I love, it makes it a special evening, the more the better, I'd love every night to be formal and everyone to follow the code.

The old intermediate nights with a suit reminded me to much of work, glad they're gone

Not wearing ties with sports jackets brought things up date.

The new evening dress code doesn't change anything significantly, except a more polite request instead of required . This is where I disagree, being polite and requesting isn't a retrograde step.

However in the day the world is moving casual and Cunard must move with the times. Wearing what you are comfortable with across most of the ship is the way to go, but with smart casual in the formal dining rooms, this including smart shorts in the day.

Cunard must look to the future , embracing the move to casual , whilst retaining the elegant evenings which set it apart. Be relaxed in the day, but strictly enforce evening dress code

-" Let's not judge, ignore the others and have a good time" and so it goes through out all of society on most all things. relax and ignore and then we get all upset when someone does an horrendous act. There will be those who immediately state that a simple dress code can not lead to such acts and they are correct it is not a direct line. However, ignore it all you wish the line exists though it wanders through a bunch of other factors.

Absolute nonsense. Companies like Carnival and their subsidiary Cunard spend many thousands of dollars doing extensive market research before making a decision like this. You can’t exit risk out of every decision in the business world but Cunard/Carnival are extremely conservative and would not be doing this if that market research indicated they didn’t have a large, eager group of customers to step in.

We have been following this thread from the beginning and have the same question a few others have raised namely- for those of you who have cancelled or are cancelling your Cunard voyages because of a language change to the dress code, which line(s) are you going to switch to that require a dark suit or sport jacket for men, every night in every venue? A quick sampling: Oceana-no, Regent-no, Azamara-no, Silversea-no, all river cruise lines-no. After 50 plus cruises on ships of all sizes and types, we will be "test driving" Cunard for the first time next year. One of the deciding factors was that I can & will wear some of the beautiful clothes I own which spend most of their time in my closet. We fully intend to comply with the dress code as written, but I don't imagine our voyage experience will be decided by what someone may wear in the pub or casino. So for those apparently giving up Cunard voyages (and cruising in general) it will be interesting where they find the always formal atmosphere they are looking for.

We have been following this thread from the beginning and have the same question a few others have raised namely- for those of you who have cancelled or are cancelling your Cunard voyages because of a language change to the dress code, which line(s) are you going to switch to that require a dark suit or sport jacket for men, every night in every venue? A quick sampling: Oceana-no, Regent-no, Azamara-no, Silversea-no, all river cruise lines-no. After 50 plus cruises on ships of all sizes and types, we will be "test driving" Cunard for the first time next year. One of the deciding factors was that I can & will wear some of the beautiful clothes I own which spend most of their time in my closet. We fully intend to comply with the dress code as written, but I don't imagine our voyage experience will be decided by what someone may wear in the pub or casino. So for those apparently giving up Cunard voyages (and cruising in general) it will be interesting where they find the always formal atmosphere they are looking for.

In response to your question. I am a solo sailor- male - I did not cruise for the ports, I cruised for the ship's overall ambiance that I can get obtain in a sustained quantity nor quality here in the US. Once that has been taken away, I will no longer cruise as the cost for a solo fare (single supplement) is just too high to have to mix with those who do not care about the ambiance. If I require a meal out where there is only a requested attire to no attire code Ie. lunch or even dinner, I can obtain that for from $15 for lunch to $40 for dinner. I do not need to spend several thousands. Sad for me, happy for those who think being "comfortable" requires the lowering of the attire standards.