Will I like Oceania?

SusanNJ

i know that my question is very subjective, but.... We have not travelled on any NCCL products and are used to Seabourn and Crystal. We like the itineraries, but are used to exceptional service and food when we travel.

Any travelers who have travelled on the premium lines, I would appreciate your comparisons. Interested in knowing if there are speaker onboard too.

i know that my question is very subjective, but.... We have not travelled on any NCCL products and are used to Seabourn and Crystal. /quote]

I have not traveled on Seabourn or Crystal (have my eye on something but from reading the board too much unrest right now) so not able to answer your question. Just wanted to say the Oceania is owned by NCLH (along with Regent and NCL) .Your CCL reference you might be thinking of Carnival which Seaborn is one of their "products'

We have done all that you have done. We love Oceania as we love our butler Pritam and we love the OS where we have complete privacy on the back of the ship. That being said, there are distinct differences in everything. On Crystal the entertainment and the enrichment is absolutely the best which shines in a long cruise. On Seabourn, we are thinking it is on par with Oceania as we love the Butler and we don't have that on Seabourn. You need to keep an open mind an try each line.

I would try O but get a PH for similar experience as Seabourn,Regent,etc. Love the food and most everything else.Like the fact that not everything inc.,such as excursions and liquor, as we prefer doing them on own and don t drink.Hate to pay for something we don t use.

Try a short cruise and see if you like it.That s what we did and loved it. Still would book the other luxury lines, mostly go by itinary now.

While we continue to book the OS on the smaller Oceania ships however we have also been cruising Crystal.

The suites on O are far superior and much larger than on Crystal. Service and enrichment are much above on Crystal as is food, more varied and better.

I agree, try O for a short cruise to judge for yourself.

We will happily continue to cruise both lines.

We have sailed on Oceania, Silversea and Regent (our favorite). While the newer Oceania ships (Riviera and Marina) are stunning, IMO, it is difficult to compare true all-inclusive luxury ships with Oceania but I'll make a few comparisons:

1. The service on Oceania is equal to that on luxury cruise lines

2. The food in the specialty restaurants on Oceania are equal to specialty restaurants on other ships (we actually found Oceania's Jacques restaurant to exceed specialty restaurants on luxury lines. However, we found the Terrace Café (cafeteria style) and their main dining room does not meet up to the equivalent restaurants on Silversea or Regent.

3. The top three category of suites on the Riviera and Marina are equal to or better than on luxury lines (however, the rest of the suites are not as large as on luxury lines).

4. We do not like the dress code on Oceania - seeing people in sloppy shorts walking around the ship at night while other people are dressed nicely (minimum slacks and a collared shirt). We like a "elegant casual" - not "backyard barbeque" (my definition) dress code.

5. We dislike signing for things. We purchased the Prestige Drink Package to make our experience on Oceania seem more like an all-inclusive luxury line. Even after two cruises, we were never sure which restaurant/bar wanted our cards to be put out before we order or at the end of the meal. Also, since alcohol is not included, Oceania has the equivalent of a Happy Hour where the bars suddenly become mobbed - sometimes there is no place to sit. We learned to have our pre-dinner cocktail at the conclusion of happy hour.

6. The officers and crew do not mingle with guests as they do on Regent. This is something that we missed when on the Riviera.

IMO, if you can stay in a top suite (or even PH or above), you can have a good - very good experience on Oceania. However, compared to their sister line (Regent), you have a different, luxury experience which is typically very good - excellent.

While I'm likely to get blasted for my opinions, this is what they are....... simply my opinions.

All of this info is of very limited use to you. You do not know any of these people or their tastes. What others like, you may not (and v.v.)

The only way to know for sure if Oceania is for you is to try it and decide afterwards for yourself.

For example, I prefer Oceania to Seabourn or Regent for a number of reasons - but that does not mean that you will too.

JMO.

All of this info is of very limited use to you. You do not know any of these people or their tastes. What others like, you may not (and v.v.)

The only way to know for sure if Oceania is for you is to try it and decide afterwards for yourself.

For example, I prefer Oceania to Seabourn or Regent for a number of reasons - but that does not mean that you will too.

JMO.

Plus 1

I prefer oceania to seabourn

Just got off 34 nights on sirena. Mingled with officers all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

JMO.

Its apples and oranges....I have sailed as much on Regent at O and I , for me prefer O. Its a personal fit,, I dont like formal dress, mingling with Officers, or having butlers . I like the quality dining in every venue and think O exceeds Regent in many ways., the open seating the size of the ships and the fellow passengers who are attracted to O. Maybe its the attitude;)?

I am Happy in dockers and a golf shirt and maybe a blazer, I can entertain my self, and dont gamble or seek out shows.... I dont like Crystal or Seabourns or silversea because of their formal attitudes and it appears they attract a very different clientele than O. But that's me..:rolleyes:.

Only you can decide based on you and what you expect of a cruise and of those you cruise with....

We have sailed on Oceania, Silversea and Regent (our favorite). While the newer Oceania ships (Riviera and Marina) are stunning, IMO, it is difficult to compare true all-inclusive luxury ships with Oceania but I'll make a few comparisons:

1. The service on Oceania is equal to that on luxury cruise lines

2. The food in the specialty restaurants on Oceania are equal to specialty restaurants on other ships (we actually found Oceania's Jacques restaurant to exceed specialty restaurants on luxury lines. However, we found the Terrace Café (cafeteria style) and their main dining room does not meet up to the equivalent restaurants on Silversea or Regent.

3. The top three category of suites on the Riviera and Marina are equal to or better than on luxury lines (however, the rest of the suites are not as large as on luxury lines).

4. We do not like the dress code on Oceania - seeing people in sloppy shorts walking around the ship at night while other people are dressed nicely (minimum slacks and a collared shirt). We like a "elegant casual" - not "backyard barbeque" (my definition) dress code.

5. We dislike signing for things. We purchased the Prestige Drink Package to make our experience on Oceania seem more like an all-inclusive luxury line. Even after two cruises, we were never sure which restaurant/bar wanted our cards to be put out before we order or at the end of the meal. Also, since alcohol is not included, Oceania has the equivalent of a Happy Hour where the bars suddenly become mobbed - sometimes there is no place to sit. We learned to have our pre-dinner cocktail at the conclusion of happy hour.

6. The officers and crew do not mingle with guests as they do on Regent. This is something that we missed when on the Riviera.

IMO, if you can stay in a top suite (or even PH or above), you can have a good - very good experience on Oceania. However, compared to their sister line (Regent), you have a different, luxury experience which is typically very good - excellent.

While I'm likely to get blasted for my opinions, this is what they are....... simply my opinions.

I agree with some of what you say, but for us fell Oceania on an overall basis works best. We have sailed on Crystal, Silver Sea and Regent and find the food, service, ad suites nicer on Oceania. On Crystal you would need to have a penthouse of above to find any space at all. The O ships penthouse are much larger than Crystal. On Crystal their regular cabins are tiny for what they charge. That's one of the reasons we left Crystal. Also Oceania's food is much superior to all the other's. Talking about the O ships with 4 spec. rest. (Just our opinion) Bottom line is they are all pretty close and I don't think you could go wrong with O or the other luxury lines. Safe traveling. :):):)

I agree with some of what you say, but for us fell Oceania on an overall basis works best. We have sailed on Crystal, Silver Sea and Regent and find the food, service, ad suites nicer on Oceania. On Crystal you would need to have a penthouse of above to find any space at all. The O ships penthouse are much larger than Crystal. On Crystal their regular cabins are tiny for what they charge. That's one of the reasons we left Crystal. Also Oceania's food is much superior to all the other's. Talking about the O ships with 4 spec. rest. (Just our opinion) Bottom line is they are all pretty close and I don't think you could go wrong with O or the other luxury lines. Safe traveling. :):):)

Crystal, I read, gives you 1 night a cruise in a specialty ( they only have I hink 1) and then you have to pay $25 pp for additional. O is unlimited 1 to 2 nights guaranteed at each of the 2 to 4 specialties.... then on board no limit as to how many additional..... and Crystal costs more...

Crystal, I read, gives you 1 night a cruise in a specialty ( they only have I hink 1) and then you have to pay $25 pp for additional. O is unlimited 1 to 2 nights guaranteed at each of the 2 to 4 specialties.... then on board no limit as to how many additional..... and Crystal costs more...

Yup, I do not understand how Crystal gets away with it. When we sailed with Crystal there was no problem with an additional reservation at the spec. rest. for no additional charge. Just pay the tipping. I guess they are too high class for me. Fine. I love Oceania.

We seriously would be curious to know why?

I could go into a lot of detailed comparisons but I'll make it simple.

1 Food on Oceania is far superior to both Seabourn and Regent, both in variety and quality. I admit that this is a VERY subjective topic and opinion but since I am the one cruising and eating the food, I am the one making that decision. :D

BTW - we are just off a 26 day cruise on the brand new Seabourn Encore. Thus the comparison is current - the food is not even close, except for TK Grill - not enough to make up for the rest.

2 The other 2 lines are more formal than what I prefer in dress and overall atmosphere; clientele is also more formal and reserved(and at times even judgmental - not with words but attitude). This is not to say that we have not met any nice and friendly people on Seabourn but not like on Oceania over the years. Overall I feel more comfortable in the O environment

3 The O cruise is less expensive and I get and pay for only the things I want and use (internet, a few shore excursions) rather than things I don't want or need (alcohol and all excursions). Also, because of our O status, I often have OBC that I have to find ways to spend vs a significant extra expense on the Seabourn (for internet, excursions, laundry, etc). As we use miles to fly, I always get air credit from O - further reducing the fare.

These are my personal opinions and others may disagree.

I could go into a lot of detailed comparisons but I'll make it simple.

1 Food on Oceania is far superior to both Seabourn and Regent, both in variety and quality. I admit that this is a VERY subjective topic and opinion but since I am the one cruising and eating the food, I am the one making that decision. :D

BTW - we are just off a 26 day cruise on the brand new Seabourn Encore. Thus the comparison is current - the food is not even close, except for TK Grill - not enough to make up for the rest.

2 The other 2 lines are more formal than what I prefer in dress and overall atmosphere; clientele is also more formal and reserved(and at times even judgmental - not with words but attitude). This is not to say that we have not met any nice and friendly people on Seabourn but not like on Oceania over the years. Overall I feel more comfortable in the O environment

3 The O cruise is less expensive and I get and pay for only the things I want and use (internet, a few shore excursions) rather than things I don't want or need (alcohol and all excursions). Also, because of our O status, I often have OBC that I have to find ways to spend vs a significant extra expense on the Seabourn (for internet, excursions, laundry, etc). As we use miles to fly, I always get air credit from O - further reducing the fare.

These are my personal opinions and others may disagree.

+1 Thats my opinion and why after 80 nights on Regent, I went to O....the overall experience was more enjoyable in every respect....

Thank you all. As the itinerary is what truly is most important, we will give it a shot. There are no penthouses left on the cruise we want. The veranda room looks okay. How small are the baths? I cannot tell from the Photos. I sure it will be sufficient, just curious.

You asked about the baths, are you asking about tub?Only available in veranda rooms on larger ships,not others.Need PH for that on small ships, plus Sirena does NOT have tubs even in PH.So ,,,since I love tubs,,,book only PH on small ships, and veranda on others,,,but avoid Sirena.

If just concerned with room,,,small ,,even in PH,,but functional.Marina,etc...little bigger and prefer that size.I could always use extra space for belongings.

Thank you all. As the itinerary is what truly is most important, we will give it a shot. There are no penthouses left on the cruise we want. The veranda room looks okay. How small are the baths? I cannot tell from the Photos. I sure it will be sufficient, just curious.

On what class ship O or R? on O they just fine with light and glass door..... In R class they are about 10% smaller if that but layed out different. I think its perception a lot.. Many chide the shower which I think is fine. One reason for the bad rap for the shower on R is that there is a curtain and the shower has no light, making it "feel" smaller than it really it.. I found it no different on Regatta/Insignia than I did on Marina.... I am 6 ft average build... There is plenty of storage space for a 30 day cruise...

\You really have to cruise the line yourself to know if it's a yes or no. I like "O" and enjoyed all 8 cruises. Did I ever have a problem - yes. But it was always fixed. Now I plan to cruise on Regent for a few cruises (booked 3 so far). It's just choice and I want to see for myself what they have to offer. But I won't know until I do it myself. Will I ever come back to "O", most likely yes.

We just booked our first Oceania cruise, 21 day from Buenos Aires to Lima. We have researched everything, having only cruised before on Princess and Celebrity. We are youngish seniors, I am 61 and my husband is 65. We have been retired for 8 years and enjoy your food and conversation. Oceania seems to provide the best itinerary with great service and a casual environment.

Anyway, looking forward to our first Oceania cruise.

We just booked our first Oceania cruise, 21 day from Buenos Aires to Lima. We have researched everything, having only cruised before on Princess and Celebrity. We are youngish seniors, I am 61 and my husband is 65. We have been retired for 8 years and enjoy your food and conversation. Oceania seems to provide the best itinerary with great service and a casual environment.

Anyway, looking forward to our first Oceania cruise.

Good choice.