Captain Peter Bos retiring in March

sppunk

Awesome Captain and human being! privileged to have worked for him on Volendam in 2011; He will be sorely missed by his loving crew! Hope they order a limo for him and his wife as they disembark Noordam in Sydney, NSW one last time on 28 March. Enjoy your retirement Kaptein!

5456373121_556748b955.jpg

• Like 3

Awesome Captain and human being! privileged to have worked for him on Volendam in 2011; He will be sorely missed by his loving crew! Hope they order a limo for him and his wife as they disembark Noordam in Sydney, NSW one last time on 28 March. Enjoy your retirement Kaptein!

5456373121_556748b955.jpg

Like yourself John, I am also sorry to see Peter go. I was a freshmen or sophomore in High School when he was born. He was always gracious to me and I wish they would bring him back and show each Captain how to go inside when doing the Inside Passage in Alaska. I will miss him. I have sailed with him on the Volendam, the Oosterdam and the Noordam. In Alaska he will be the standard by which other Captains will be compared. He set the bar rather high.

Like yourself John, I am also sorry to see Peter go. I was a freshmen or sophomore in High School when he was born. He was always gracious to me and I wish they would bring him back and show each Captain how to go inside when doing the Inside Passage in Alaska. I will miss him. I have sailed with him on the Volendam, the Oosterdam and the Noordam. In Alaska he will be the standard by which other Captains will be compared. He set the bar rather high.

No one can argue with those words, Father! You are right on!

Wonderful Captain! We were so impressed with his sincerity. Those 5 to 10 minute Mariner's Reception talks in the Dining Room were the best we've ever heard on HAL He really did the job with a smile and was an extraordinary example of HAL's Signature of Excellence.

He was a hit with his crews and will be missed for sure by all who have sailed with him.

He captained three ships we've been on, the Volendam, Oosterdam and just lately, the Noordam. It was while on that cruise we were told of his pending retirement. He presented us with our Bronze Medallions on the Oosterdam a few years ago. All the best to him and his wife in their retirement. He will be missed - we were always amused by his instructions to "wash your hands!" every day.

I wish Captain Bos a long and happy, healtthy retirement. He most certainly has earned it,. I regret I'll not have thec hance to sail with him again. He was mostr kind to me and my DH, I will ott likely forget that.

We are sorry that we will not have another opportunity to sail on another ship captained by Peter Bos.

A wonderful Captain. A gentleman.

We wish him and his wife a long, happy and healthy retirement.

Jonathan Mercer will be retiring at the end of the current world cruise.

Emiel DeVries is being promoted to fleet captain when he leaves Koningsdam.

Thanks for this information.

Fleet Captain: is this an honorable title like "Commodore" that I recall some Cunard Masters obtained? Or, is this an added responsibility?

Is Captain Mercer really going to retire following the current Grand World Voyage? I know that was what had been expected, which in my opinion, helped to lead to such an early sell-out of the 2018 world voyage. Then, on CC, I read that he had decided to do so after the unique 2019 Grand World Voyage.

Jonathan Mercer will be retiring at the end of the current world cruise.

Emiel DeVries is being promoted to fleet captain when he leaves Koningsdam.

Just a heads up, my friend;

Unless he's recently changed his mind, Capt. Mercer was scheduled to retire upon the conclusion of the 2019 Grand World Voyage

The assignment to Fleet Captain is not a promotion per se, as the rank does not change. In the past, HAL had the higher ranking position of Commodore, usually given to the most senior captain, but that has been out of the door for many years ;)

Fleet Captain: is this an honorable title like "Commodore" that I recall some Cunard Masters obtained? Or, is this an added responsibility?

The "Fleet Captain" position is not an honorable title. It does rotate among captains and equates to the corporate marine quality assurance position. i.e., the fleet captain pays a lot of visits to all the ships where he concentrates on "bridge resources management" He also conducts investigations and training. There is a similar position, fleet chief engineer, overseeing the, you guessed it, engineering or technical department of the ships

Thanks for this information.

He told me he will be fleet captain for all the Carnival Brands. Sounds like he will be on the go more often. Also said he can be based at home.

Just a heads up, my friend;

Unless he's recently changed his mind, Capt. Mercer was scheduled to retire upon the conclusion of the 2019 Grand World Voyage

The assignment to Fleet Captain is not a promotion per se, as the rank does not change. In the past, HAL had the higher ranking position of Commodore, usually given to the most senior captain, but that has been out of the door for many years ;)

Is Captain Mercer thre most senior captain in the fleet?