Taking packaged snacks on board.

Floridanamaw

I know I've seen this discussed before on here but can't find the thread. Is it okay to take store bought snack bars and snack food on the ship. Several of our excursions run through lunch and I thought I would take snack things to munch on until we get back on the ship. Thanks

Just do not under any circumstances attempt to bring OFF the ship any produce (apples or oranges or bananas etc) in any port. That could get you fined big time. Packaged stuff is fine, but fresh produce is a major problem.

Just do not under any circumstances attempt to bring OFF the ship any produce (apples or oranges or bananas etc) in any port. That could get you fined big time. Packaged stuff is fine, but fresh produce is a major problem.

Not to change the subject, but going in line with your response what about croissants, danishes etc whatever you receive on the continental breakfast are those items okay to take off the ship?

Not to change the subject, but going in line with your response what about croissants, danishes etc whatever you receive on the continental breakfast are those items okay to take off the ship?

Other than being a bit of a pain to carry, I don't think that would be an issue. Vegetables and fruits are the biggest concern.

I knew about the fresh fruits and veggies and I don't plan on taking the ship food off the ship just prepackaged snacks that we bring. I'll pack them in our checked luggage and not our carry on when we board. We eat things like the Quaker bars and Special K bars or cookie crisp. I'll put them in a backpack to take on excursions with us. Thanks for your replies. 16 more days until our cruise!

I can hardly imagine a buffet with people preparing their complete to go lunches in ziplock bags before going ashore.. Never saw it. A snack, bottled water, I can understand..

Is it a way of saving money for some? If this is big NCL should sell lunches to go. :D

We do regularly take packaged food on board that isn't available on the ship, being it overstocked candy/treats from our inbound travel to bought-to-board Coca Cola cans and the occasional bag of chips or some salted peanuts for the evenings on the balcony. :)

I bring zip lock bags and make mini turkey and cheese sandwiches off the breakfast Bar. I have never had problems.

I would hope that one day you are caught and fined. The rules are there to protect the environment, why try and save a buck at it's expense?

Only food "items" in commercially sealed packages are allowed on or off the ship.

What TrumpyNor said. On our 2nd cruise, my fiance and I had to either stuff our face with some baked goods her friend made for my fiances birthday (birthday cruise) or throw them out. We took a bite and threw it out. They're very serious about bringing unsealed stuff on/off the ship. Same with produce.

I bring zip lock bags and make mini turkey and cheese sandwiches off the breakfast Bar. I have never had problems.

Never had any problems because you probably stuff it in a bag where no one can see it and since there is no X-ray going on when you leave the ship nothing is said. Just so you know, if you are ever caught you will be fined heavily.

Depends on the port also. We were on a Princess cruise to Alaska in July 2015. In Juneau we were not allowed to bring a cup of coffee we had bought at the International Cafe. We were told it was a port restriction due to the trash concerns for wildlife.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Wow, I can't believe how rude people can be! How is taking a ham and cheese sandwich from the buffet (real food that you have already paid for) tacky and yet carrying manufactured crap from the US to another country instead of trying the local food when you're ashore isn't?

Same goes for the supposed environmental argument. Yes, fruits and vegetables can carry plant pests or diseases. A ham and cheese sandwich? Not so much. And in either case, obviously the wrapper or baggie adds to the trash in that country's landfills, or worse, the litter on their streets and in their bodies of water.

I'm definitely going to bring reusable lunch pouches when I go on my cruise, and I'm not going to feel bad at all about taking reasonable amounts of non-fruit/non-vegetable items for in-port snacking.

Edited by anonmom

Wow, I can't believe how rude people can be! How is taking a ham and cheese sandwich from the buffet (real food that you have already paid for) tacky and yet carrying manufactured crap from the US to another country instead of trying the local food when you're ashore isn't?

Same goes for the supposed environmental argument. Yes, fruits and vegetables can carry plant pests or diseases. A ham and cheese sandwich? Not so much. And in either case, obviously the wrapper or baggie adds to the trash in that country's landfills, or worse, the litter on their streets and in their bodies of water.

I'm definitely going to bring reusable lunch pouches when I go on my cruise, and I'm not going to feel bad at all about taking reasonable amounts of non-fruit/non-vegetable items for in-port snacking.

But it's illegal. Taking non-fruit/non vegetable food off of cruise ships is illegal. I'm not being judgmental, just stating facts. Just because you paid for that lunch with your cruise fare doesn't mean you are entitled to break the laws of the countries you are visiting. It's not up to you to decide what food items could damage the country you are a guest in. I have a child with dietary restrictions (celiac), so we always travel with package sealed safe food.

Unbelievable... these are local customs/agriculture laws not something to take lightly. You are the rude one by disobeying and breaking the laws. I have disembarked in a number of ports with either hand inspections or agriculture dogs... Maybe when you get caught and fined you will see "a ham sandwich you already paid for" is a " big deal" Travelers with this me attitude are why Americans get such a bad rap :(

Ugh. On my Getaway trip a few weeks ago, there were signs at every port that said no food or dairy products to be taken off the ship. Not a problem - the most we took off was a water bottle.

Some REALLY tacky people took milk and other food, along with fabric napkins and spoons, to Virgin Gorda and the Baths. Then they left them on the beach when the left. Now THAT'S tacky.

:)

That is really too bad that you feel this way; the posts here have nothing to do with common courtesy or manners. These laws were put in place for a reason the least of which is saving money.

How can we help you understand this....anytime food that is not 'from' a country, island etc. is brought in, it is a public health risk to the place you are visiting? Micro-organisms that are not native are a huge risk to the health of the place you are 'visiting'. The disregard of rules like this cause public health issues/diseases.

You indicate a sandwich is 'not so much' an issue.......how do you know this; what science is this based on? The cruise line rules are pretty much based on public health science/issues/epidemiology in every place that is visited; the cruise line is being respectful and it is more than likely a law at the place you are visiting. Is it just your opinion? Being a visitor is the key point here. The trash/litter problem isn't really the big issue.

Please do some homework on why this rule is in place and is not OK just because you already paid for it.....it is disrespectful behavior to the place where you are a guest. If everyone thought like you do, there would be diseases everywhere. There is no bad intent here, it is for education purposes; please reconsider. :)

Edited by Cruisercl
typo