Yellow Fever Vacs

DJ Dave

We are visiting Panama ( Colon) and Columbia (Cartagena) next month and are getting increasingly confused about the need of a Yellow Fever Vaccination. Our local clinic says they are recommended but as we are in our 60's the side effect risk are greatly increased.Most people seem to say that they are not necessary for the short time we are in port ( a day in each) we were planning to visit the Pipe Line area of Panama on our day there to go bird watching. Now maybe the best idea is not to get off the ship. Anybody had any experience of visiting these two areas?

Maybe you can post on the Individual port of call forum to have more response from those who have recently visited the ports. We usually defer to our physician’s advice for long stays but not short ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are visiting Panama ( Colon) and Columbia (Cartagena) next month and are getting increasingly confused about the need of a Yellow Fever Vaccination. Our local clinic says they are recommended but as we are in our 60's the side effect risk are greatly increased.Most people seem to say that they are not necessary for the short time we are in port ( a day in each) we were planning to visit the Pipe Line area of Panama on our day there to go bird watching. Now maybe the best idea is not to get off the ship. Anybody had any experience of visiting these two areas?

No shots needed for either port. None of the ports on a Panama Canal cruise require them.

We didn't even need them for Rio de Janeiro since we were not going further into Brazil.

We were in both ports in 2008, both of us over 60 at the time. We did not get yellow fever vaccines

Our excursion in Panama was the ferry boat ride through the other locks. Our excursion in Cartegena was a city tour,

I suggest checking with your doctor and looking at the Center for Disease Control website or even calling them for the best solution for you.

Enjoy your cruise.

The Yellow Fever Vaccination is not required.

The CDC site is a good site to do reading about whether or not you should get the vaccination.

https://www.cdc.gov/yellowfever/vaccine/index.html

If you stay in the port areas then I would have no concern at all. There is a lot to do in Panama without going into the jungle such as going to the old city.

I am not sure whether or not there would be any benefit with the vaccination for the tour you have planned. I would try to do more reading on that.

Keith

No shots needed for either port. None of the ports on a Panama Canal cruise require them.

We didn't even need them for Rio de Janeiro since we were not going further into Brazil.

This is also my understanding from researching a trip to Argentina and Brazil. If you stick to the port cities mentioned it is an option but not required or highly recommended (whatever term is used by the CDC and WHO). If you travel inland, it might be a different story.

I hadn't even considered I might be at risk using the vaccines because of my age (65). Since they are an option for my travel plans, I think I might be opting out.

Thanks.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Our yellow fever shots expired back in 2008. At that time we were in our late 60's and DH had had a heart attack. It was recommended that he no longer get the shot.

Since then we have done quite a few cruises that included your ports. As long as you not going into the jungles, you do not need the shots.

Have a great cruise.

Typically, the only places that REQUIRE the vaccination are countries trying to keep it out. It is a requirement to enter those countries.

But whether you might or might not want to get one, is up to you and your doctor.

BTW, I think that now the yellow fever vaccination does not expire. It used to be good of 10 years.

But, in all the traveling I have done, no one has ever checked the date. Heck, half the time, they only want to see that you are carrying an International Certificate of Vaccination (yellow card), and never look inside it.

Personally, I get every vaccination I can get. But I go to a lot of places you REALLY do not want to be without vaccinations. :)

BTW, I think that now the yellow fever vaccination does not expire. It used to be good of 10 years.

DD25 just got the Yellow Fever vaccine. She was told she doesn’t need another one.

DD25 just got the Yellow Fever vaccine. She was told she doesn’t need another one.

And when I first got polio vaccine, it was once for life.

Then they changed to a one time adult (after 18) booster.

Now, for certain countries, they are recommending a booster within the last 5 years.

Legal is not the same thing as actually protected.

And when I first got polio vaccine, it was once for life.

Then they changed to a one time adult (after 18) booster.

Now, for certain countries, they are recommending a booster within the last 5 years.

Legal is not the same thing as actually protected.

True

She had titers done and found out some of her childhood vaccines needed to be redone.

Talk with your doctor about whether you should have the vaccine after 60 or not (if you decide you want one). I was asked a number of questions and the only one that I answered "yes" to was the over 60 question. So I had the vaccine and no side effects. I needed the vaccine for a couple of ports in Africa.

I have been through the Panama Canal twice and been to Cartagena once and did not get the shot then.

We are going to Colon and Puerto Limon in february . According to the travel desk from the Dutch health organisation ( GGD) , yellow fever and Hepatitis shots are recommended ,especially when travelling outside the port area of Colon .

Since they are covered by our outstanding health care insurance in the Netherlands , we will get them . Friends of ours (60+) got them last month and no side effects , will of course depend on the person . But to state in general not to get the shots when you are 60+ is unwise .

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Forums

We've been to both of those places on cruises and did not get the yellow fever shot. I would only get the shot if going to a country that required it. We have had extensive travel shots/medicines for other parts of the world, such as Africa.

However, you and your doctor know your own situation, so I would follow their advise. For most people though,, not necessary.