Specialty restaurant charge no longer includes gratuity

jr1946

I have a non gratuity dining package question..... I am looking to get a 3 or 4 night package and I understand that you pick a standard time you want eg 8pm and that on day 1 you will receive details of the restaurant and days. My question is if I don’t like the restaurants I’ve been given can I change them? I absolutely hate Wonderland and if I got that I’d find the whole thing a waste of money. Also is 150 Central Park a restaurant that could be included on the dining package? Thanks in advance.

Aussie Cruiser

150CP is included.

We booked a 3 night specialty package onboard the Radiance Hawaii cruise last May. There was no extra gratuity included. The price was discounted from what 3 nights would cost and we were allowed to go to whatever restaurants we wanted. We went to Chops all 3 nights. It was a nice savings as the 3rd night at Chops was probably only about $10 per person or less.

We booked a 3 night specialty package onboard the Radiance Hawaii cruise last May. There was no extra gratuity included. The price was discounted from what 3 nights would cost and we were allowed to go to whatever restaurants we wanted. We went to Chops all 3 nights. It was a nice savings as the 3rd night at Chops was probably only about $10 per person or less.

Adding the 18% gratuity is new. For now dining packages and reservations booked before this was implemented will not have the 18% added.

QAre there any gratuities included in the dining package?

A

Yes, gratuities are included in all specialty restaurant cover charges and dining packages.

Guests who have a reservation with payment may also contact 1-800-398-9819 for Pre-Cruise Planning Assistance.

• 2 weeks later...

Just booked my 5-night SR package for the Nav leaving in a few days just to make sure ... $105 per person is the rate and the total at checkout was $210.

Also logged in to my Christmas/ANY Serenade cruise and no dining packages available for that one. Not surprising, but we prefer SR to MDR so that's a loss. We prefer WJ to MDR too.

Bottom line is the RCCL raised the price of their speciality dining by 18%, since previously the tip was included. That's a big increase and really wonder if the full 18% will go to the waiters..guess we will never know......:(

Bottom line is the RCCL raised the price of their speciality dining by 18%, since previously the tip was included. That's a big increase and really wonder if the full 18% will go to the waiters..guess we will never know......:(

Bottom line is when the specialty restaurants are quiet the staff will be out and about trying to get people to come in.

We then have an opportunity to get a big discount.

The service is always top class and i will continue to give a 10-20 dollar tip to our waiter/waitress depending how good they are.

Bottom line is when the specialty restaurants are quiet the staff will be out and about trying to get people to come in.

We then have an opportunity to get a big discount.

The service is always top class and i will continue to give a 10-20 dollar tip to our waiter/waitress depending how good they are.

Let us know when you get that big discount from them.....;)

Let us know when you get that big discount from them.....;)

February 2017 Vision in Dubai 30% discount for chop's plus 2 free drinks

April 2017 independence from Southampton 30% discount chops and Giovanni's plus 2 free drinks.

June 2017 Freedom from Barcelona 30% discount Giovanni's plus 4 free drinks.

Like i said when they approach you when the restaurants are quiet if you ask and negotiate success is possible.

look like all the discounts you received are from cruises other than in the caribbean..maybe that has something to do with the discounts offered. will keep our eyes open..still the 18% increase is a big one to take at one time and still do not know if all of it will go to waiter.:)

look like all the discounts you received are from cruises other than in the caribbean..maybe that has something to do with the discounts offered. will keep our eyes open..still the 18% increase is a big one to take at one time and still do not know if all of it will go to waiter.:)

Same principle should apply.

If they are actively approaching you to book the specialty restaurants you are in a strong position to ask for cheeky discounts and extras.

Dined in specialty restaurant last night and noticed that gratuity was added. Found out that as of yesterday the gratuities are no longer included in quoted price.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I heard. Going on Freedom tomorrow.. This makes it overpriced.. at $30 or even $35 including gratuity is fine, but without gratuity prices itself a bit more than my budget allows. So just doing one specialty instead of two this sailing, most likely.

Just checked our cruise planner for our upcoming symphony TA. They show the ultimate dinning package for the 12 night cruise at 24.00 pp pd, The total cost is 342.00 per person. Twelve nights at 24 pp is only 288.00, so the 18% must already be added on. The package also includes 11 lunches at the specialty venues. The 4 night package is 100.00 and they do not break it down by daily price. so no way to tell if the 18 % is added on. We just came of the Indy TA and had pre-paid last year for the Chef's table and a 3 night package. All bills came with a zero amount at the end of dinner. Left a small 5.00 dollar tip assuming they were already getting something from the pre-paid service charge.

Just boarded Serenade and these are the packages. 18% in fine print.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

240a4eea78e055be571b82932085c11e.jpg

I hope the wait staff in the specialty restaurants get to keep the gratuity and it is not put into the general tipping pool.

Maybe someone can post when they find out.

I heard. Going on Freedom tomorrow.. This makes it overpriced.. at $30 or even $35 including gratuity is fine, but without gratuity prices itself a bit more than my budget allows. So just doing one specialty instead of two this sailing, most likely.

We did the BOGO on a recent cruise, Chops 2nd night and Giovanis 3rd night. Purchased pre cruise.

Just checked our cruise planner for our upcoming symphony TA. They show the ultimate dinning package for the 12 night cruise at 24.00 pp pd, The total cost is 342.00 per person. Twelve nights at 24 pp is only 288.00, so the 18% must already be added on. The package also includes 11 lunches at the specialty venues. The 4 night package is 100.00 and they do not break it down by daily price. so no way to tell if the 18 % is added on. We just came of the Indy TA and had pre-paid last year for the Chef's table and a 3 night package. All bills came with a zero amount at the end of dinner. Left a small 5.00 dollar tip assuming they were already getting something from the pre-paid service charge.

I thought the lunches were for sea days only, is that not the case?

Ten years ago it was spelled out pretty clearly who should be tipped and what the "suggested" amount was. If RCI changed the strategy to what you propose pricing would go up and we would still be tipping the staff. It is the American way. Maybe it could work if tipping was not allowed but I suspect that would not be part of the price increase. As far as the change in the specialty dining that is being discussed in this thread, RCI has simply found a "nice" way to increase the price by 18% without actually saying that is what they are doing. They did this with the drink packages a long time ago. The posted price used to include the 18% gratuity but now it is added on to the price.

While also lowering the food quality, entree choices, portion sizes and staff in the specialty restaurants.

We “completed” our pre-booked BOGO tonight on Navigator by going to Chops for both nights. No extra charge as expected.

Interesting anecdote: our waiter for the first night in Chops was the same waiter we had during our very first cruise, in the MDR on board Navigator 7 years ago for the transatlantic. I recognized him by face and name. Pretty cool [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums