Help needed! Tipping in the Haven

jewliana

Yes, I was using my family of 7 in a garden villa as an example. My point was, and continues to be, that the idea of 10 to 15 a day for each party member does not scale well. Those posters who advocate tipping what you are comfortable with and is appropriate with the work done for you is how I will proceed. To me, it is only common sense. Originally I was just addressing the question re: tipping and I provided an approximation of what I am budgeting for. Regardless, have a nice day and let this dead horse rest in peace. Note, no actual horses were beaten or killed in the making of this opinion [joke for those who do not recognize it as such].

Yes, I was using my family of 7 in a garden villa as an example. My point was, and continues to be, that the idea of 10 to 15 a day for each party member does not scale well. Those posters who advocate tipping what you are comfortable with and is appropriate with the work done for you is how I will proceed. To me, it is only common sense. Originally I was just addressing the question re: tipping and I provided an approximation of what I am budgeting for. Regardless, have a nice day and let this dead horse rest in peace. Note, no actual horses were beaten or killed in the making of this opinion [joke for those who do not recognize it as such].

You need Cunard mate not NCL, first cruise been a member since 2009, make you mind up? Total bull=hit

I totally agree, but feel that the passenger should tell the Butler and Concierge upfront that they don't wish to have any of their services, so that the Butler and Concierge can concentrate on those guests that do want their services.

But don’t you dare expect to get priority boarding or disembarking or priority tender tickets ;)

I know everyone is dying to know what I tip. ;)

On a 7 day cruise, I have been known to tip the cabin steward an extra $50.00 regardless of our room size as we are impeccably clean. We have also tipped them 0 for either unfriendliness, inability to reply to a simple request or just not doing the job.

We have tipped our butlers between $100-200 depending on our requests (specifically eating 1 meal in). We have also tipped them 0. That was due to pomposity, “You want me to bring you a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice every morning?” “Well, yes, but never mind.” I didn’t report him. He got the message. Today, I see him and you’d think he was my best friend.

We tip the Concierge between $100 and 200 depending on how many reservations they have to change, getting us off the ship as requested, handling bill discrepancies, etc. We have also tipped him/her 0. That would be due to insolence or failure to respect us as very loyal Ambassadors. One was reported to the Hotel Director and handled, the other was dressed down by the Captain. She is no longer with NCL.

We may also tip hostesses or Maitre D’s or bartenders or a waitress. One thing we don’t ever do is leave a dollar bill on the table. That is just plain tacky IMHO.

We write a minimum of 20 Vacation Hero cards and no less than 10 thank you cards. Kindness begets kindness.

Hope this helps.

Many Haven guests are well off, comparatively speaking, and repeat Haven customers. Some, like us, might just luck into a deal and end up in the Haven once.

Incomes vary greatly. Just because a cruiser might be in the bottom half of the income stream does not mean they can’t cruise in the Haven, as some of the posts regarding “budgeting” seem to suggest.

In our case I toted up what each person did, time-wise and effort involved, along with attitude. I then translated that into my own salary, and that is what they got. The old “tip this amount per person per day” is just so much, idk, bragging, to me.

The posters who say it is an individual choice have it spot on. (And just for comparison, I have been known to tip $10 on a $5 Waffle House order, if the server was that outstanding and $10 on a $100 bill when the server was horrible, with an attitude to match)

I want to piggy back on “if someone can afford to stay in the Haven they shouldn’t have to budget for tips”. Why not? Some people who can’t afford Haven prices get there through upgrades. Others save for a long time because the Haven is what they want. Believe it or not, many are surprised about the extra tipping expectation, assuming that the increase in DSC covers everyone. TA’s don’t always communicate the reality. My TA told me that my higher DSC does cover absolutely everyone, including butler & concierge - I actually asked specifically.

Yes, when you cruise you should BUDGET for tipping. But if you do have to budget, it’s just fine, you shouldn’t feel like you don’t belong there! It may mean spending less on souvenirs or gift shops or excursions, but that’s a personal choice.

I want to piggy back on “if someone can afford to stay in the Haven they shouldn’t have to budget for tips”. Why not? Some people who can’t afford Haven prices get there through upgrades. Others save for a long time because the Haven is what they want. Believe it or not, many are surprised about the extra tipping expectation, assuming that the increase in DSC covers everyone. TA’s don’t always communicate the reality. My TA told me that my higher DSC does cover absolutely everyone, including butler & concierge - I actually asked specifically.

Yes, when you cruise you should BUDGET for tipping. But if you do have to budget, it’s just fine, you shouldn’t feel like you don’t belong there! It may mean spending less on souvenirs or gift shops or excursions, but that’s a personal choice.

This came from NCL’s FAQ

Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tipping on our ships for service that is generally rendered to all Guests. While you should not feel obligated to offer a gratuity, all of our staff are encouraged to “go the extra mile,” so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities for exceptional or outstanding service if you care to offer them. Also, certain staff positions (e.g., concierge, butler, youth program staff and beverage service) provide service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall service charge. We encourage those Guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. Additionally, there is an 20% gratuity and spa service charge added for all spa and salon services, as well as an 20% gratuity and beverage service charge added for all beverage purchases and an 20% gratuity and specialty service charge added to all specialty restaurant dining and entertainment based dining.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Shoppie, I agree it is in the FAQ.. However, not all people read the FAQ or use a computer regularly. IMHO the tip expectations are part of the cruise fare and should be disclosed before purchase....but we know that’s not realistic.

But even in best case where cruiser is 100% aware of tip expectations, what’s wrong with “budgeting” for a FAIR and appropriate butler/concierge tip?

Some seem of the opinion that because you are in the Haven you have a money tree in your backyard. Not so. And it shouldn’t be a requirement either. The only requirement is that you have paid your fare and DSC, and you plan to tip Haven staff properly.

So...for someone who has limited funds who wants this type of vacation, wouldn’t it make sense to come here to decide if they can afford it in the first place, given the added tip costs on top of fare/DSC, and to know just how much to budget? If I had “budgeted” $1k for onboard expenses in my vacation savings, and then learned that I should plan on, let’s say, $300 total for Haven tips, I’d budget that, and budget $700 for excursions, etc. What’s wrong with that?

The key is to be sure crew, including Haven,, are properly tipped, either through DSC or over & above as earned for butler/concierge. Who cares whether someone has to budget for the tip or just peel off from that wad of $100 bills?

Shoppie, I agree it is in the FAQ.. However, not all people read the FAQ or use a computer regularly. IMHO the tip expectations are part of the cruise fare and should be disclosed before purchase....but we know that’s not realistic.

But even in best case where cruiser is 100% aware of tip expectations, what’s wrong with “budgeting” for a FAIR and appropriate butler/concierge tip?

Some seem of the opinion that because you are in the Haven you have a money tree in your backyard. Not so. And it shouldn’t be a requirement either. The only requirement is that you have paid your fare and DSC, and you plan to tip Haven staff properly.

So...for someone who has limited funds who wants this type of vacation, wouldn’t it make sense to come here to decide if they can afford it in the first place, given the added tip costs on top of fare/DSC, and to know just how much to budget? If I had “budgeted” $1k for onboard expenses in my vacation savings, and then learned that I should plan on, let’s say, $300 total for Haven tips, I’d budget that, and budget $700 for excursions, etc. What’s wrong with that?

The key is to be sure crew, including Haven,, are properly tipped, either through DSC or over & above as earned for butler/concierge. Who cares whether someone has to budget for the tip or just peel off from that wad of $100 bills?

I am a firm believer in take care of those who take care of you! While, I agree, the tip should be commensurate with the service received. I would never not tip.

I always walk into a restaurant with the expectation to spend 30% on tips. That number changes depending on service but never dips below 15%.

A butler and concierge are different, if you don’t use them at all, don’t tip. But if you accept the mid day snacks and have reservations made, then you should leave them something. Maybe not the “recommended” amounts but an amount you feel comfortable with.

I was surprised to see the kids coordinator doesn’t share in DSC.

On Reddit there was a AMA session with a cruise worker. Very interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow, just wow. There are some good comments here but some amazingly "interesting" ones as well. Budgeting for butler and concierge tips has nothing to do with whether or not one can afford the haven. It has to do with,

A) Answering the OP

B) Knowing how much cash to bring on a cruise.

Here is a definition of the word budget,

noun

• an estimate, often itemized, of expected income and expense for a given period in the future.
  • a plan of operations based on such an estimate.
  • an itemized allotment of funds, time, etc., for a given period.

Certain folks definitely need to improve upon their English reading comprehension skills.

Oh, and to the poster who said something on the order that they do not believe my posts since I stated that I am going on my first cruise yet I have been a member of cruise critic since 2009 I say the following:

I have been lurking on cruise critic for more years than I can remember.

I have been wanting to cruise on one of the 6 star small ship lines for years

I never have due to either, not wanting to pay the singles supplement when I was single or just poor timing etc.

We are going on this cruise because my mother-in-law requested it and I am determined to ensure that she has this experience which she wanted

Cruising the haven on NCL was the best option I could find (extensive research) for our fairly large family mated with my personal desire to not have to deal with the crowds of a mass-market line

Any other questions, feel free to ask. Otherwise, have a nice day.

I am a firm believer in take care of those who take care of you! While, I agree, the tip should be commensurate with the service received. I would never not tip.

I always walk into a restaurant with the expectation to spend 30% on tips. That number changes depending on service but never dips below 15%.

A butler and concierge are different, if you don’t use them at all, don’t tip. But if you accept the mid day snacks and have reservations made, then you should leave them something. Maybe not the “recommended” amounts but an amount you feel comfortable with.

I was surprised to see the kids coordinator doesn’t share in DSC.

On Reddit there was a AMA session with a cruise worker. Very interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just a guess but maybe it's because like butlers and concierge they are not part of the general crew? Only serving a targeted audience

I was wondering why this thread popped up in my usercp. I had no recollection of posting here, and then I realized ... it's from 2016.:D

Anyway, here's my philosophy: there are always people who will tip more than you, and many more who will tip less. Tip what's in your heart, kiss it up to God, and never look back.

I get there is such a divergence of opinions. In all truth, we all know every person views this topic differently.

Personally, like most, I reward good service, whether on a ship, in a land based hotel or restaurant, or taxi/uber, etc.

But, you'll go broke trying to tip every waiter, every bus person, every bar tender, every person who holds a door for you, every host/hostess, etc.

I know they all try to please. But, those who really stand out (Butler, Concierge, room steweard, etc), I will tip.

The concierge does a lot more for me than the Butler, as an example. I will tip her/him more. My bartenders on the ship (including the HAVEN) who take good care of me, will get tips, too. Butler will get a tip as I do ask for at least one breakfast to be served in my cabin, but not as much as the concierge.

There's no way I set aside $300 for tips, however....probably closer to $200 with about $50 in singles which I use for bar staff.

Everyone’s experience is different and therefore everyone tips differently. If you do not want to tip the butler, explain to them you won’t be needing their services and to not even bring daily snacks. We happened to use the butler daily and tipped him what we felt comfortable with. We barely used the concierge team, but tipped them a bit for the priority disembarkation they helped us with. If you cruise in the Haven, I feel you should budget something for tipping the extra staff that you use that aren’t part of the DSC group and/or those that go above and beyond.

Okay, kind of a related question that I noticed from the "planning" thread. How about the personnel who assist on excursions? For example, we are taking the Tabyana Beach Party through NCL. Would you tip the bus driver? The person who meets you at the dock and walks you to the bus? How about the person who straightens the loungers on the beach? Towel boy/girl?

I am not trying to sound flippant, but I am really curious about how extensively people usually follow these "tipping rules". I know in some areas of the USA, the rental car shuttle drivers expect a tip (i.e., DTW), whereas in other areas they are forbidden to take them (i.e., SAV). Really interested to see what the expectations would be on excursions, particularly those paid for through NCL.