Royal Caribbean*total lack of empathy*towards hurricane victims

orcien

Royal Caribbean has a total lack of empathy towards customers that have booked trips and have been impacted by Hurricane Irma.

I reside in South Florida and my home was heavily damaged in the storm. I called Royal Caribbean to see if I could reschedule our trip or even transfer the tickets to someone else to go in our place. I was advised that I could not and the only option was to cancel, but if I cancel we would loose all of our money.

I was hurt and angry that Royal Caribbean did not have any contingency plan in place for hurricane victims like myself and that have been impacted. I was advised that they could not make any type of exception. So we moved heaven and earth to make this trip so we would not lose all our money. Please note (we are still going on a trip while our home is still damaged and waiting on the insurance company so we can make repairs to date).

Today I received a email advising me that our itinerary has been changed to Jamaica and Nassau Bahamas. Once again I called into Royal Caribbean's Customer Service to see if there was anything that can be done and I was told "NO".

We would have never booked a trip to go to the ports that have been chosen for us for the amount of money that we are paying. We have visited those islands countless times and have spent way less. And I definitely did not want to spend my anniversary going back.

I am very angry and disappointed in the way that your Royal Caribbean is handling this situation. I am also sadden that they don't have any type of alternative options for us. It shows a lack of empathy and total disregard for customers like myself.

So RCCL and its shareholders should lose out because of your own misfortune that has absolutely nothing do with them? Please explain why?

I believe so. I mean, at least a credit for a future cruise would be in order. I think that where the issue is, is the disconnect between an American company and a foreign company. I believe if it were an American company there would be a bit more of a sympathetic response.

For further explanation: While it is not RCCL fault, the OP did not get what he/she bought & paid for. Once the change was made on the itinerary was made, RCCL should also understand the changes that are needed and required by Floridians as well. I mean they do have their addresses and zip codes. I suspect the issue is more about pleasing a bottomline of a profit statement for the month vs looking out for the best interests of their customers.

I believe so. I mean, at least a credit for a future cruise would be in order. I think that where the issue is, is the disconnect between an American company and a foreign company. I believe if it were an American company there would be a bit more of a sympathetic response.

Not an American company??? Their headquarters is in Miami!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So you live in a hurricane prone area and chose to sail during hurricane season but you did not get cancel for any reason trip insurance? I'm sorry for your hurricane damage but I don't understand how you of all people could be faulting RCCL for hurricane related itinerary changes or not allowing you to cancel or change when you could easily have bought insurance.

You do realize there are many cruisers in a similar situation as OP. If you forgive one, you will have to forgive them all. The lost revenue and vacant cabin flood gate will burst wide open.

I am truly sorry for all that you have been through. However, trip insurance would have covered the cancellation of your cruise due to the damage to your home. It appears you did not purchase any. The problem then becomes, if RCCL decides to change, cancel or otherwise compensate all of the travelers who did not purchase trip insurance, what about those of us who PAID for it? Why would we pay for it if you get the same benefits? As for the port changes, please remember that the people in your original ports have also been devastated by hurricanes. They are not ready to receive tourists on these islands yet. While it is not convenient, it is completely within the cruise line's rights to change ports for any reason. Again, if they made an exception for you, they would have to do so for everyone.

I think I would rather be on a ship then in a heavily damaged house.

So you think you would have a nice relaxing week leaving behind a damaged house that needed your attention to get it fixed? You are definitely far more chill than I am.

You do realize there are many cruisers in a similar situation as OP. If you forgive one, you will have to forgive them all. The lost revenue and vacant cabin flood gate will burst wide open.

I would think that RCCL is insured for loss of income due to storms / hurricanes. Also, not everyone on the cruise would have a southern Florida address. Many, including us fly to and from FtL. & Miami for our cruises. Exceptions can and should be made.

I would think that RCCL is insured for loss of income due to storms / hurricanes. Also, not everyone on the cruise would have a southern Florida address. Many, including us fly to and from FtL. & Miami for our cruises. Exceptions can and should be made.

They may be insured for the things that THEY lose as a result of ships not being able to sail, etc. But YOU should be insured for the things that YOU lose. That's why they offer travel insurance.

They may be insured for the things that THEY lose as a result of ships not being able to sail, etc. But YOU should be insured for the things that YOU lose. That's why they offer travel insurance.

I agree... to an extent. I mean we always have insurance. Always. But exceptions can be for humanity purposes. This is not a situation that they can't go on a vacation because of a change of plans at work, a divorce, or whatever. This was a major hurricane that destroyed homes of their customers and also ports that they offered. If they had to make changes, they should expect others need to do the same.

They won't though. They got the money. I have a feeling if their policy was to pat upon boarding, they'd make exceptions! Ha! As they would want that money! Ha!

I don't like buying insurance but I do buy it every time we cruise. If Royal started making exceptions in situations like this I would feel cheated for always paying for my own insurance.

Very sorry for the OP's hurricane damage, but I have no sympathy for their expectation of special treatment from the cruise line.

I reside in South Florida and my home was heavily damaged in the storm. I called Royal Caribbean to see if I could reschedule our trip or even transfer the tickets to someone else to go in our place. I was advised that I could not and the only option was to cancel, but if I cancel we would loose all of our money.

I'm always skeptical of 1st post complaints but if you're sincere then email the President and CEO Michael Bayley at mbayley@rccl.com. Good luck.

Royal Caribbean has a total lack of empathy towards customers that have booked trips and have been impacted by Hurricane Irma.

I was hurt and angry that Royal Caribbean did not have any contingency plan in place for hurricane victims like myself and that have been impacted. I was advised that they could not make any type of exception. So we moved heaven and earth to make this trip so we would not lose all our money. Please note (we are still going on a trip while our home is still damaged and waiting on the insurance company so we can make repairs to date).

Today I received a email advising me that our itinerary has been changed to Jamaica and Nassau Bahamas. Once again I called into Royal Caribbean's Customer Service to see if there was anything that can be done and I was told "NO".

We would have never booked a trip to go to the ports that have been chosen for us for the amount of money that we are paying. We have visited those islands countless times and have spent way less. And I definitely did not want to spend my anniversary going back.

I am very angry and disappointed in the way that your Royal Caribbean is handling this situation. I am also sadden that they don't have any type of alternative options for us. It shows a lack of empathy and total disregard for customers like myself.

I am truly sorry for your situation.

I hope you rebuild and recover from it. Go on the cruise, relax and make the most of it. Good Luck with your rebuilding and enjoy the cruise.

OP... for the record, your insurance company should have been by and made settlement by now. IMO, you need two new agents and carriers. One for your property and one for your vacation. Of course you most likely know this by now.

Try your best to enjoy the cruise.

I am also located in South Florida and I know six people, offhand, that are still waiting for an adjuster from their insurance company to come out.

There is a huge backlog right now.

However, I am of the opinion that the OP should have purchased travel insurance if they feel that they are inconvenienced by these matters.