Royal Caribbean*total lack of empathy*towards hurricane victims

orcien

I believe so. I mean, at least a credit for a future cruise would be in order. I think that where the issue is, is the disconnect between an American company and a foreign company. I believe if it were an American company there would be a bit more of a sympathetic response.

For further explanation: While it is not RCCL fault, the OP did not get what he/she bought & paid for. Once the change was made on the itinerary was made, RCCL should also understand the changes that are needed and required by Floridians as well. I mean they do have their addresses and zip codes. I suspect the issue is more about pleasing a bottomline of a profit statement for the month vs looking out for the best interests of their customers.

You've been trying to make this "they didn't get what they paid for" arguement for weeks now. Please familiarize yourself with the cruise contract - you'll see Royal can change ports if necessary. It happens all the time DURING a cruise as well - just ask those sailing this week. I believe Allure got Nassau, Labadee, Nassau thanks to an on-board emergency and this most recent tropical storm. They are also receiving no compensation.

OP, I have to agree with you. I'm sailing out of Puerto Rico the end of this month and trying to accomplish anything with Royal's customer service has been an exercise in frustration. I think they have a canned statement to read from and they're not deviating from it. I called with a question that had nothing to do with their canned response and never was able to get an answer to my question.

I would think that RCCL is insured for loss of income due to storms / hurricanes. Also, not everyone on the cruise would have a southern Florida address. Many, including us fly to and from FtL. & Miami for our cruises. Exceptions can and should be made.

They are likely insured for loss (e.g. a damaged ship or injuries to passengers) but probably not for lost revenue.

Someone has to carry the risk. If Royal Caribbean carries the risk, then fares go up so Royal Caribbean can self-insure themselves against lost revenue. Passengers have made it clear that lower fares and choice are important, thus passengers take the risk of loss and may choose to purchase insurance. Or not.

I don't like buying insurance but I do buy it every time we cruise. If Royal started making exceptions in situations like this I would feel cheated for always paying for my own insurance.

Very sorry for the OP's hurricane damage, but I have no sympathy for their expectation of special treatment from the cruise line.

Agree with this post. Buy the travel insurance on your next cruise, especially if it is going to be during hurricane season.

I would think that RCCL is insured for loss of income due to storms / hurricanes. Also, not everyone on the cruise would have a southern Florida address. Many, including us fly to and from FtL. & Miami for our cruises. Exceptions can and should be made.

The owner of an apartment building has insurance coverage for things like fire and the like. HOWEVER, each tenant is required to have rental insurance to cover things like theft which are not covered by the landlord. People need to take some responsibility for themselves.

Unfortunately I did not buy the travel insurance, I have never needed it before. This will be our first cruise and I am inclined to say it will be my last. It’s a expensive life lesson and we both will learn from it.

While I am sympathetic, I have to ask...

Did you not purchase trip insurance - either through RCCL or through an independent company?

Unfortunately I did not buy the travel insurance, I have never needed it before. This will be our first cruise and I am inclined to say it will be my last. It’s a expensive life lesson and we both will learn from it.

Hopefully the learning will be that for any kind of large investment in travel you will purchase the insurance.

You never need it UNTIL you need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am S.Fl resident that was impacted by Irma. I was supposed to be on an Allure sailing on September 14. Obviously because of the hurricane I was not able to go. Like you I called and had no luck....I was told I would lose 100% of my deposit. Then I waited a couple days and called again to my surprise I did not have to ask anything or get the run around RC asked for my zip code to verify that I was affected and gave me the choice of a voucher with the full cost or to reschedule right on the phone with the rep. RC did right by me and that’s why i remain loyal

The problem of not getting a refund after a hurricane is not unique to the cruise industry. If you had purchased a vacation package, or an all-inclusive resort package, you would be running into these same issues. Again, that's exactly what travel insurance is for.

If you paid with a credit card, check its terms - many include trip insurance on travel related purchases.

You've been trying to make this "they didn't get what they paid for" arguement for weeks now. Please familiarize yourself with the cruise contract - you'll see Royal can change ports if necessary. It happens all the time DURING a cruise as well - just ask those sailing this week. I believe Allure got Nassau, Labadee, Nassau thanks to an on-board emergency and this most recent tropical storm. They are also receiving no compensation.

Jeez... of course the contract is in their favor... but it doesn't make it right. It just makes it legal. I recognize 'life' happens and that RCCL can not control the weather. But they can control their attitudes towards how the go about servicing their customer that is facing a difficult they have a full working knowledge and understanding about.

BTW, I've been on a cruise that had some major issues that RCCL could not control. By the time it was all over, a 100% refund was issued to all cruisers and in addition, a 25% future cruise certificate was issued as well. So I know first hand this can be done.

I am S.Fl resident that was impacted by Irma. I was supposed to be on an Allure sailing on September 14. Obviously because of the hurricane I was not able to go. Like you I called and had no luck....I was told I would lose 100% of my deposit. Then I waited a couple days and called again to my surprise I did not have to ask anything or get the run around RC asked for my zip code to verify that I was affected and gave me the choice of a voucher with the full cost or to reschedule right on the phone with the rep. RC did right by me and that’s why i remain loyal

This.

Thank you foe posting this. It is is EXACTLY what I've been posting about. Glad to hear they treated you right and hope you're doing ok post Irma.

We were on EX out of Cape Liberty about 5 days after Sandy hit NJ. Something like 900 people did not sail with us due to hurricane impacts to their personal property. That's what insurance is for. Otherwise, why should anyone buy it?

I guess my issue is that when you purchase a cruise, you agree to certain terms and things do happen, which is why there is insurance. You buy insurance hoping you don't have to use it, not because you think you will. Not buying it and expecting special treatment for whatever reason isn't fair to those that did buy it.

Never having needed insurance in the past is not a reason to never buy it, nor is it a good excuse. We've never "needed" it but have always bought it because you never know.

Edited by BND

The problem of not getting a refund after a hurricane is not unique to the cruise industry. If you had purchased a vacation package, or an all-inclusive resort package, you would be running into these same issues. Again, that's exactly what travel insurance is for.

It's good to know that there are folks out there that have an understanding that some times life is indeed Grey and not all Black & White.

We were on EX out of Cape Liberty about 5 days after Sandy hit NJ. Something like 900 people did not sail with us due to hurricane impacts to their personal property. That's what insurance is for. Otherwise, why should anyone buy it?

I guess my issue is that when you purchase a cruise, you agree to certain terms and things to happen, which is why there is insurance. You buy insurance hoping you don't have to use it, not because you think you will.

Missed flight, lost luggage, loss of job, & medical comes to mind.

Missed flight, lost luggage, loss of job, & medical comes to mind.

If you're referring to "why should anyone buy it"? My point was, why should I spend money on insurance if I expect to be reimbursed without it. As in, why should anyone bother if those that didnt' buy it expect to be treated as if they did?

Might not have helped anyway. You said your home is damaged, but is it uninhabitable? Some trip insurance policies will cover cancellation if your primary residence becomes uninhabitable. However not all policies have this as a covered reason, you would have had to have bought a policy that specifically covers this.

If you're referring to "why should anyone buy it"? My point was, why should I spend money on insurance if I expect to be reimbursed without it. As in, why should anyone bother if those that didnt' buy it expect to be treated as if they did?

I purchase insurance for all my cruises. But I think one should expect a bit of help/assistance/consideration for something as major as a hurricane destroying a region, city, etc. The area was declared a disaster! It isn't like you cancelled because of a specific reason like a job change or job loss, or even a change of mind. The latter reasons offered are why one would need insurance and they are just a very small samplings of reasons at that.

It's good to know that there are folks out there that have an understanding that some times life is indeed Grey and not all Black & White.

The OP said this was his first cruise, and may now be his last because of the expensive life lesson. I'm just pointing out that he would have had to learn this lesson if he had arrangements other than a cruise as well. European tour, all-inclusive resort, African safari - whatever the trip may be, trip insurance covers you in the event you cannot travel for a specific set of reasons. There is a VERY wide variety of companies and policies so that you can get the coverage that's right for you without all of the things you don't need.

I do understand the OP wanting RCCL to make an exception in his case. I understand that his situation sucks. I can even understand being frustrated with the agents on the phone, their lack of ability to help him, or their tone. What I can't understand is expecting the cruise line to provide you with the benefits of an insurance policy that you did not purchase. I am one who always purchases trip insurance. If they were to begin giving travelers refunds for all of the covered reasons (and let's face it: fatal illness, deaths in the family, hurricanes, etc are ALL horrible and evoke sympathy, but they are exactly the reasons people buy insurance), I would want my money back for all of the times I've purchased it - since it appears people don't need it.

RCI came through for you. Congratulations. Hope you residence did not get too much damage from Irma. We were lucky in that our residence in Bradenton got no damage from the hurricane.

If you had bothered to read any of the other similar threads / posts on here regarding people affected by the Hurricane you would have seen that people on this board have little sympathy for someone who doesn't buy trip insurance and expects Royal to make an exception for them. Would it be nice of Royal to work with you and make an exception? Absolutely. But do you go through life relying on the kindness of others, or do you plan and save and make sure that you're going to be okay no matter what happens? I prefer to plan for the worst and hope for the best, and like you said this was an expensive way to learn that lesson. Even if this is your last cruise I hope you apply this lesson to future trips, because even land trips can be impacted by natural disasters and you could easily lose airfare, hotel costs, etc.

That's unfortunate but that's par the course these days for cruise lines, even some higher end ones.

And Royal is definitely an American company.

You probably never needed Home Owners Insurance until you made your first claim, but luckily for you, you still bought it.

No, they should not. What about the cruiser who’s spouse passes a week before the cruise? Who’s child gets diagnosed with cancer? Who’s house burns to the ground? These scenarios are why travel insurance exists. Every cruise line has the same policies. I pay for travel insurance every cruise, because I’m aware of the policies.