It's official! Formal nights gone, evening chic in! (3 Threads Merged)

Wj420

20151109-EN_03.gif

*ugh*. as if this thread could not get any worse. I have to come here and see his face?

Maybe Celebrity would like to reimburse me for all the lovely formal wear I have hanging in my closet. Some of it hasn't even been worn yet. It seems that everyone except those of us who followed the code can wear what they like anywhere they like. Regardless of their ridiculous statement that we can still wear our formal wear, we all know that's not really true.

As usual, I will give them the benefit of the doubt as to how this will affect the quality of the total cruise product. I'm very fortunate to be a Zenith member who usually sails in suites, so my experience has quite a bit to offer. Hopefully it will not be just another downgrade for others. Sometimes we should be careful what we wish for.

Tell me about it ... I ran out at lunch to buy my son a new suit, and come back only to find out its not needed! I'm sure our saililng on Silhouette this weekend, there will be many starting with the new dress code already.

I lost one of the posts I had tagged. Why is it the Brits get to wear "smart jeans" and it's "designer jeans" for the rest? Are designer jeans not available in the UK? :eek:

The majority of passengers prefer casual to formal? Visit Celebrity's Facebook page. In contrast to Cruise Critic, the majority of people commenting on X's Facebook page are against "elegant chic" replacing Formal Nights.

Just because they're nice and loud doesn't make them the majority. And there was a brit social media site prompting people to go over and make their feeling heard. They are definitely not the majority.

I lost one of the posts I had tagged. Why is it the Brits get to wear "smart jeans" and it's "designer jeans" for the rest? Are designer jeans not available in the UK? :eek:

We pay more for our cruises than on your side of the pond, so the funds don't stretch to designer, only smart :D :p.

Here's the thing...

Celebrity cruises (and Cruise Critic members) represent a wide range of ages, geographies, and backgrounds. I see Celebrity being to cruise lines as "Coach" is to handbags - it's a designer label, but still within reach of the average consumer for the occasional splurge. So it's both aspirational and attainable. This means you're going to get a wide range of incomes and with that comes a wide range of opinions on things like fashion.

If you don't like that you can choose a cruise line that appeals solely to 1 extreme or the other - you can go Carnival for the no frills or you can go on a truly high end cruise that caters only to the extremely wealthy. Personally I like the diversity, because it means that you never know who you're going to meet and the stories you'll hear.

Fashion is not a fixed concept - the idea of what is dressy evolves over time and may go at a different rate in different parts of the world. What we consider to be the height of elegance now - a simple black tuxedo - not terribly long ago wouldn't be considered formal. A white tuxedo with tails, gloves, hat, etc would be formal and a simple black tuxedo would be considered more casual. Times change and fashions evolve.

I personally don't consider jeans to be dressy, but some people and places do. I was shocked when I first moved to Texas at how frequently I saw jeans. People will wear them even to the fanciest French restaurants or to weddings. For our upcoming wedding I'm specifically telling people no jeans. It's not that people are classless, it's that there are different standards and cultures in different parts of the world. My fiance is born and raised in Dallas and when we went on our first date I was initially shocked that he wore jeans for dinner and the theater...and a first date! Sure he paired them with a button down shirt and a suit jacket. Then I realized that WAS Texas dressed up. And when we went on our first cruise I convinced him to wear a suit for formal night, but there was no way in hell he was getting in a tux - a suit is bad enough.

What to some people is special to others feels stuffy and uncomfortable and "not them." It's fine for you to say that you want to be glamorous, but if what makes you feel glamorous makes others feel uncomfortable, why should they have to do that? It's their vacation, too, and they deserve to spend it how they want. Why should they have to choose between the MDR meal that they paid for or dressing in a way that they don't enjoy...to satisfy someone they're most likely not even going to interact with?

It seems like Celebrity is doing the most fair thing they can, which is to recognize that there are differences - whether they're cultural or socioeconomic or age. But not everyone shares the same definition of what it means to dress up. However, I think that almost everyone has SOME definition of dress up - they just vary. So rather than narrowly define "dress up" - Celebrity is saying that here's a night - dress up in whatever way makes YOU feel special. After all, it's YOUR vacation.

I don't see what's objectionable about that. Even if you're the only person in a tux and evening gown, you're saying that a tux and evening gown makes you feel special. And that's your right, because it's your vacation. Don't let the fact that a stranger doesn't feel comfortable in a tux or evening gown take away from that.

And as an aside - I cruised on Celebrity last year and wore a sparkly dress on formal night. It was knee-length, so not a full formal, but it was definitely dressy. I went to the spa and got my hair done and nails and did my makeup. I felt amazing and beautiful. Then I went to dinner and no one else at the table was very dressed up - even though it said "formal night." I didn't see anything different with their pants/skirts than any other night. I felt overdressed, but they all fawned over my dress and hair...and I still felt like a princess and it was still magical.

Here's the thing...

Celebrity cruises (and Cruise Critic members) represent a wide range of ages, geographies, and backgrounds. I see Celebrity being to cruise lines as "Coach" is to handbags - it's a designer label, but still within reach of the average consumer for the occasional splurge. So it's both aspirational and attainable. This means you're going to get a wide range of incomes and with that comes a wide range of opinions on things like fashion.

If you don't like that you can choose a cruise line that appeals solely to 1 extreme or the other - you can go Carnival for the no frills or you can go on a truly high end cruise that caters only to the extremely wealthy. Personally I like the diversity, because it means that you never know who you're going to meet and the stories you'll hear.

Fashion is not a fixed concept - the idea of what is dressy evolves over time and may go at a different rate in different parts of the world. What we consider to be the height of elegance now - a simple black tuxedo - not terribly long ago wouldn't be considered formal. A white tuxedo with tails, gloves, hat, etc would be formal and a simple black tuxedo would be considered more casual. Times change and fashions evolve.

I personally don't consider jeans to be dressy, but some people and places do. I was shocked when I first moved to Texas at how frequently I saw jeans. People will wear them even to the fanciest French restaurants or to weddings. For our upcoming wedding I'm specifically telling people no jeans. It's not that people are classless, it's that there are different standards and cultures in different parts of the world. My fiance is born and raised in Dallas and when we went on our first date I was initially shocked that he wore jeans for dinner and the theater...and a first date! Sure he paired them with a button down shirt and a suit jacket. Then I realized that WAS Texas dressed up. And when we went on our first cruise I convinced him to wear a suit for formal night, but there was no way in hell he was getting in a tux - a suit is bad enough.

What to some people is special to others feels stuffy and uncomfortable and "not them." It's fine for you to say that you want to be glamorous, but if what makes you feel glamorous makes others feel uncomfortable, why should they have to do that? It's their vacation, too, and they deserve to spend it how they want. Why should they have to choose between the MDR meal that they paid for or dressing in a way that they don't enjoy...to satisfy someone they're most likely not even going to interact with?

It seems like Celebrity is doing the most fair thing they can, which is to recognize that there are differences - whether they're cultural or socioeconomic or age. But not everyone shares the same definition of what it means to dress up. However, I think that almost everyone has SOME definition of dress up - they just vary. So rather than narrowly define "dress up" - Celebrity is saying that here's a night - dress up in whatever way makes YOU feel special. After all, it's YOUR vacation.

I don't see what's objectionable about that. Even if you're the only person in a tux and evening gown, you're saying that a tux and evening gown makes you feel special. And that's your right, because it's your vacation. Don't let the fact that a stranger doesn't feel comfortable in a tux or evening gown take away from that.

And as an aside - I cruised on Celebrity last year and wore a sparkly dress on formal night. It was knee-length, so not a full formal, but it was definitely dressy. I went to the spa and got my hair done and nails and did my makeup. I felt amazing and beautiful. Then I went to dinner and no one else at the table was very dressed up - even though it said "formal night." I didn't see anything different with their pants/skirts than any other night. I felt overdressed, but they all fawned over my dress and hair...and I still felt like a princess and it was still magical.

2co6e5g.jpg

Actually those match the existing rules for Formal Night... so no need to wait til Dec 4 for the new rules if something here strikes your fancy.

Formal attire includes:

Women:

Cocktail dress, gown, or dressy pantsuit

Men:

Tuxedo, suit, or dinner jacket with slacks

I just found what I was looking for Chic wear for Men, take your pick.

12115472_10156189532835291_9138426669991560783_n.jpg

I am totally gutted and very saddened by this news. I absolutely love the inclusion of traditional formal nights and think this will leave many disappointed. There are not many so I don't see why they cannot remain for those who support the tradition.

Those who have totally ignored the code for years should be quite pleased.

This just means that I will continue to dress according to the code - as always

I'm a fan of formal nights, and I am someone under 40 and wear a shirt+tie every day to work. [emoji4]

Regardless, this isn't a deal breaker for me. I just think that there is going to be very little difference between smart casual and elegant chic nights. One allows jeans, the other says designer jeans. One says to wear a casual top, the other says an elegant top. These are pretty much subjective opinions, which means that even if it was enforceable, there's no way Celebrity would bother. There is no way anyone will tell a guest "Oh I'm sorry, your top is not elegant enough to eat in the MDR", unless it has rips or visible stains.

Elegant chic night says a sport coat is optional for men, which is the same as saying "don't wear a sport coat" for 90% of people.

Celebrity tries to placate the formal night fans by mentioning that they should still dress up if they want, but I have a feeling that those that do will stick out like a sore thumb. They'll eventually tire of being the oddballs and either stop dressing up, or cruise on another line. Celebrity probably sees this as the smoothest path to get their dress code to where the other lines are going with.

Obviously the majority of passengers prefer casual to formal. Maybe celebrity should consider making the MDR all casual, and reserving a smaller restaurant for those that choose formal. The dress code could be more strictly enforced, since it would be opt-in. It might have a certain mystique of exclusivity if for 2 nights people notice a handful of guests dressed up and going to a separate dining room.

Well stated voice of reason, with a nice solution.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Just because they're nice and loud doesn't make them the majority. And there was a brit social media site prompting people to go over and make their feeling heard. They are definitely not the majority.

You should re read what jimandtoni originally posted. He/she merely stated the majority of people commenting on face book were against the new dress code. But again..."definitely not the majority?" On what evidence/facts are you basing this? I do not know which side is the majority as I see no definitive proof either way. If you do have proof, facts, or evidence, please post it. Otherwise, your statement is mere conjecture.

I am totally gutted and very saddened by this news. I absolutely love the inclusion of traditional formal nights and think this will leave many disappointed. There are not many so I don't see why they cannot remain for those who support the tradition.

Those who have totally ignored the code for years should be quite pleased.

This just means that I will continue to dress according to the code - as always

So,if you're going to do what you've always done why are so gutted?

You should re read what jimandtoni originally posted. He/she merely stated the majority of people commenting on face book were against the new dress code. But again..."definitely not the majority?" On what evidence/facts are you basing this? I do not know which side is the majority as I see no definitive proof either way. If you do have proof, facts, or evidence, please post it. Otherwise, your statement is mere conjecture.

Well as I'm not your secretary. Go and count how many likes of the post there are vs how many comments by individual cruisers to the negative. Take out all the comments from people that like it and all the duplicate posters and then report back.

Here's the thing...

I agree, let and let live!

For those who mention tradition; is it not true Celebrity abandoned tradition long ago? I do not see what Celebrity, as the host, did to differentiate formal nights from non-formal nights. If they could not be bothered to go to greater effort and expense it is kind of farcical for guests to speak of tradition. Guests alone did not go more casual. As they say, it takes two to tango.