Now considering Aurora for 2019. Who likes her?

sidekick180

I was thinking of booking a cruise on Azura for next year but since I posted my last thread, I am now looking at Aurora for June 2019.

I have just researched this ship and found out that it will be in for a refurb in April 2019 and will then become and adult only ship. Not sure if this will be a good move for us to cruise in June or not. We don't have any kids joining us so that wont matter but I also don't want to be on a ship where nearly all the other passengers are much older than me. No disrespect to the elderly but obviously it would be nice to have a few others on board of similar age or younger than myself and girlfriend. She is in her late forties and I am late fifties.

Hope that if we do book on her, we will still have a great time regardless of the demographics.

There's no doubt that the adult-only ships generally attract an older passenger range but in my experience, most of them are either young at heart, interesting or both. Your girlfriend may feel a little young aboard her but I am sure she will certainly not be the only person in her forties on board. You will be in good company being in your late fifties. Aurora is a lovely ship and will give you a very different experience to Ventura but give it a try - you might love it! :)

I'm booked on 2 cruises on her. As we love Oriana, I am sure we will like her too.

Thanks for your reply. We have only been on one cruise so far and that was on Ventura this May, so we have not tried any of the other P&O ships. Which cruises are you booked for on Aurora, if you don't mind me asking?

I was thinking of booking a cruise on Azura for next year but since I posted my last thread, I am now looking at Aurora for June 2019.

I have just researched this ship and found out that it will be in for a refurb in April 2019 and will then become and adult only ship. Not sure if this will be a good move for us to cruise in June or not. We don't have any kids joining us so that wont matter but I also don't want to be on a ship where nearly all the other passengers are much older than me. No disrespect to the elderly but obviously it would be nice to have a few others on board of similar age or younger than myself and girlfriend. She is in her late forties and I am late fifties.

Hope that if we do book on her, we will still have a great time regardless of the demographics.

There is already a current thread (titled Aurora) that will answer your questions about the ship. If you read my post on that thread I have listed the positive and negative points which, in summary, lead us to feel that Aurora is our favourite P&O ship (and we have been on all of them).

As for age, you will have no issues. Britboys sums it up perfectly. My wife and I are in between the ages of you and your girlfriend and find that the passenger profile suits us. It’s fair to say that the majority of fellow cruisers will be retired but, at the risk of sounding terribly snobbish (and I do say this with a tiny bit of tongue in cheek) you do get a ‘better class of cruiser’ on her than on the larger ships! We always share a table at dinner (Freedom Dining) and have met some incredibly interesting and very entertaining fellow guests as a result. During the course of a cruise on her we feel that we have made a lot of friends. There will be plenty of other cruisers in their forties.

On the other thread a comment is made that the entertainment on Aurora is geared to the over 50’s. I would say that the entertainment on all P&O ships is geared to the over 70’s - it’s not a P&O strength in my view - but Aurora has a lovely ‘Playhouse’ which is a cinema that doubles up as an intimate venue for music recitals etc again befitting the passenger profile.

The conversion to Adult only is another positive as far as we are concerned. We have nothing against children, but have a problem with poor parents. When our children were young, if one cried or started to create a lot of noise, we would take them out of a restaurant until they calmed down so as not to spoil the experience for other diners. We also never allowed our children to get out of their chair and wander around the table getting in the way of waiters and disturbing neighbouring diners. Sadly, this is not always the case these days and it’s a distraction that we will not miss. Also, some parents allow small children to run around the dance floor in the show lounge in front of live performers, which is very distracting for the audience and incredibly discourteous to the performers. Again, we will not miss that.

So, in summary, I would give Aurora a try. I don’t think that you will be disappointed.

When they convert the ship to adult only they need to convert the seating in the Glasshouse as well, specifically those tall and narrow seats that only the young, slim and fit can climb onto. the furnishing should match the ability of the passengers to use it

I would most definitely agree with Selbourne's comments. I am in my 50's and have sailed on Aurora almost every year since she was launched and have enjoyed all cruises (including 2 full world cruises and two halves). You will love the ship - she has character and a wonderful enveloping feel of being "home" for the time spent on board.

I have also sailed on Azura, Oriana and a few of the now sadly departed ones but always look forward to returning onto Aurora.

I'm booked on 2 cruises on her. As we love Oriana, I am sure we will like her too.

I'm sure you will Jean. Earlier posts have made comprehensive and I feel very balanced views on her. She is so like the Oriana that I feel sure you will feel at home. Sadly, no Tiffany's but I like the Glasshouse very much. Although I must say I didn't warm to the Glasshouse on Azura. I love the concept and what they have on offer but think perhaps it's the 'walk-through' feel - can't quite put my finger on it - but enjoyed the Glasshouse on Aurora. But it's just personal choice.

The roof over the pool is a big plus too especially if you are travelling in areas where the weather can be a bit unpredictable.

We're booked for next summer too and I'm really looking forward to it - and seeing her after the refurb. Hope you'll find her as much as we do.

There is already a current thread (titled Aurora) that will answer your questions about the ship. If you read my post on that thread I have listed the positive and negative points which, in summary, lead us to feel that Aurora is our favourite P&O ship (and we have been on all of them).

As for age, you will have no issues. Britboys sums it up perfectly. My wife and I are in between the ages of you and your girlfriend and find that the passenger profile suits us. It’s fair to say that the majority of fellow cruisers will be retired but, at the risk of sounding terribly snobbish (and I do say this with a tiny bit of tongue in cheek) you do get a ‘better class of cruiser’ on her than on the larger ships! We always share a table at dinner (Freedom Dining) and have met some incredibly interesting and very entertaining fellow guests as a result. During the course of a cruise on her we feel that we have made a lot of friends. There will be plenty of other cruisers in their forties.

On the other thread a comment is made that the entertainment on Aurora is geared to the over 50’s. I would say that the entertainment on all P&O ships is geared to the over 70’s - it’s not a P&O strength in my view - but Aurora has a lovely ‘Playhouse’ which is a cinema that doubles up as an intimate venue for music recitals etc again befitting the passenger profile.

The conversion to Adult only is another positive as far as we are concerned. We have nothing against children, but have a problem with poor parents. When our children were young, if one cried or started to create a lot of noise, we would take them out of a restaurant until they calmed down so as not to spoil the experience for other diners. We also never allowed our children to get out of their chair and wander around the table getting in the way of waiters and disturbing neighbouring diners. Sadly, this is not always the case these days and it’s a distraction that we will not miss. Also, some parents allow small children to run around the dance floor in the show lounge in front of live performers, which is very distracting for the audience and incredibly discourteous to the performers. Again, we will not miss that.

So, in summary, I would give Aurora a try. I don’t think that you will be disappointed.

Hi,

Thanks for your helpful reply. I don't think I have seen the thread titled Aurora, so I will try to find it and have a good read.

I totally agree about the children. I have two children and two stepchildren myself and I would never allow them to behave the way some children do.

When we were on Ventura in May and on the rare occasion that i was able to use the pool, there were 3 quite obese kids around the gae of 10, jumping in and out of the pool, throwing balls from one end to the other (one of those hit me on the head. then later on they were all sat in one of the spa pools drinking mocktails in glasses and eating pringles. I was quite disgusted but more so because when they eventually got out of the pool and left, I then realised that their parents were not even anywhere to be seen. I think they must have gone back to their cabin on their own.

I really don't mind kids at all, in fact I'm a karate instructor and during the course of a week I teach about 50 kids. To be honest, I think all children should be put into a martial arts class. Perhaps then, they would learn some discipline.

Anyway, enough about kids, I will go and do some more research and see if I can talk my other half into letting us book on Aurora for June next year. Thanks again for your input.

When they convert the ship to adult only they need to convert the seating in the Glasshouse as well, specifically those tall and narrow seats that only the young, slim and fit can climb onto. the furnishing should match the ability of the passengers to use it

I noticed those tables were mainly used by officers and dancers ! LOL

All ships seem to have their admirers and their detractors, but over the year or two that I have been reading this forum my impression is that Aurora has had the best ratio of pro posts to con posts of all the P&O fleet. I'm another admirer.

We are on Aurora in June, 49 and 53, seems a lot of people around our age are booking her, despite the cynics telling us nobody under 80 will be onboard. It is not a SAGA holiday and plenty of people who still have life in them are excited that she is becoming adults only. We are not anti kids, but just looking forward to not have to pretend we are happy sharing a lift with a screamer pressing every button!!!

We are on Aurora in June, 49 and 53, seems a lot of people around our age are booking her, despite the cynics telling us nobody under 80 will be onboard. It is not a SAGA holiday and plenty of people who still have life in them are excited that she is becoming adults only. We are not anti kids, but just looking forward to not have to pretend we are happy sharing a lift with a screamer pressing every button!!!

Thanks for your reply. We would also prefer not to feel as though we are happy to be surrounded by screaming or unruly kids, but more so, the kids whose parents don't seem to give a damn.

If you don't mind me asking, which cruise in June are you booked on?

Thanks for your reply. We would also prefer not to feel as though we are happy to be surrounded by screaming or unruly kids, but more so, the kids whose parents don't seem to give a damn.

If you don't mind me asking, which cruise in June are you booked on?

We are going on 21st of June to Spain and Guernsey. We are also booked on her in December this year, so will be able to see both sides of the refurbishment. We have been on Britannia, which we loved, but are really looking forward to a smaller ship.

Hols4

We used to like Arcadia which we had 3 cruises on but decided to try Oceana and Aurora. Oceana was nice but doesn't sail from Southampton very often so always try to book Aurora as we love the layout and feel at home in her.

The Aurora is my favourite ship. We've had a couple of world cruises on that ship. In my opinion it's exactly what a cruise ship should be. I know people moaned about the Cafe Bordeaux becoming a Glasshouse but I'm another who likes it. I think those who generally like a traditional cruise will cruise on the Aurora. Certainly anyone who loved the Oriana will love the Aurora. Slightly different but the same in my opinion. Although for me the Aurora had the edge over the Oriana. I'm not a fan of the Oceana and have never been on the larger ships, because I much prefer the mid sized ships in particular of course the Aurora. The people on even world cruises are of mixed age groups and certainly aren't 80+ including us.

We are going on 21st of June to Spain and Guernsey. We are also booked on her in December this year, so will be able to see both sides of the refurbishment. We have been on Britannia, which we loved, but are really looking forward to a smaller ship.

If we do go ahead and book the cruise on Aurora that we are thinking of, You will be getting on as we are getting off. Our possible cruise is to France, Spain and Guernsey from 14th to 21st June. Hope you really enjoy both your cruises.

I don't bother with Speciality restaurants. The Beach House doesn't have anything on the menu that appeals to me either. Steaks on slates and burgers and nachos don't do anything for me. We used to like the Sorrento on Oriana until they changed it to the Beachhouse. We do like the Indian and Asian buffets for a change from the MDR

I can never understand why people mention Atriums? I don't think I even notice the Atrium. It's just shops and Reception. It's the love tiered sterns I like and the Crows Nests.

Like the idea of covered pools for inclement weather, just like Arcadia.

Sounds to me like there are lots of people who are real fans of the Aurora, which definitly makes me feel a lot more confident about going ahead with our booking. Thank you everyone for all your insights and advice and please keep them coming. It's always nice to hear the opinions of cruisers with so much experience. We have only done the one cruise, which was May this year. As I said in one of my previous posts, we had a lovely time on that cruise but it was slightly marred by the inability to use the pools as often as I would have liked because they were closed so much. Then there was the excessive movement of the ship in what appeared to be very calm seas. The response to that from seasoned cruisers, was that it wasn't normal and could have been due to the technical faults we had as soon as we left Southampton.

Hi, I have just posted a longer reply on the Aurora thread, but unless you are British, and love travelling with all your fellow countrymen, have a rethink.

Hi, I have just posted a longer reply on the Aurora thread, but unless you are British, and love travelling with all your fellow countrymen, have a rethink.

I can't seem to find your post on the Aurora thread. Having said that, I'm not sure if I am using this forum properly. I don't really seem to be able to find a specific thread under the heading Aurora. Not much of a tech head to be honest.

• 3 weeks later...

I am a young 50 something and my Mum is a young 80 something and we absolutely loved Aurora. Didn't feel outnumbered by old people and thought the entertainment suited us both. IMHO you often have more fun with a slightly older crowd as they (we!) lack inhibitions in terms of taking part in dancing, flag waving, conga lines, quizzes etc. We went to Norway and were particularly lucky with weather but there was still very little competition for loungers etc which you tend to have with a younger crowd.

I

I can never understand why people mention Atriums? I don't think I even notice the Atrium. It's just shops and Reception. It's the love tiered sterns I like and the Crows Nests.

Like the idea of covered pools for inclement weather, just like Arcadia.

It is fascinating how different things appeal to each of us. I enjoy the atrium part of each ship. Oceana has top place from the ships on which we have sailed. I liked Oriana, however I am not a fan of the more modern boutique sweeping staircases as on Britannia - just rather bland. It looks like the new Iona is going to be very similar in design.