Tipping

They have started adding the 18 percent tip to the cost in the specialty dining areas. I am not sure when they did it but it appears they have. If I remember correctly years ago they did not.

The addition of the 18% grats started only about 6 months ago.

Do you tip in the specialty restaurants.

yes, I normally tip $5-$10 per person dining at a specialty restaurant. The included gratuity is added on the the "cost" of the meal (what the cruise line charged you to eat there). I tip on the "value" (what it would cost me to eat there if I was not on-board a cruise ship).

even now? when the 18% will be added on to your bill?

Yes...say I go to Giovanni's at $25 per person. The 18% grat on that is $9 but the value of the meal and service I get from Giovanni's far exceeds $50. I look at it like this....what would a meal at a place similar to Gionvanni's cost me at home or if I was on vacation somewhere...easily $150-$200. So, I don't think $30 is excessive at all if the service is up to the normal standards I get from Giovanni's or Chops, etc.

The Olive Garden near you is really expensive.

I just chuckled.

We haven’t cruised since the gratuity was added on...but I imagine if the service was really above and beyond I would maybe tip $5. You’re also already paying for daily gratuities for food service.

For a $30 tip (on top of the 18%) my server would have to be spoon feeding me and wiping my mouth between bites.

Yes...say I go to Giovanni's at $25 per person. The 18% grat on that is $9 but the value of the meal and service I get from Giovanni's far exceeds $50. I look at it like this....what would a meal at a place similar to Gionvanni's cost me at home or if I was on vacation somewhere...easily $150-$200. So, I don't think $30 is excessive at all if the service is up to the normal standards I get from Giovanni's or Chops, etc.

But aren't you already paying the daily gratuity, which covers food service?

A good Italian restaurant in Europe does not cost more than 30-40 Euro per person plus drinks. A steak restaurant costs not more than 40-50 per person plus drinks. The costs of specialty restaurants on Royal are in the same range but in addition you paid already for meals with the cruise fare. And 18 % on top for tips is more than enough just for a friendly server (and average food in many cases).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just chuckled.

We haven’t cruised since the gratuity was added on...but I imagine if the service was really above and beyond I would maybe tip $5. You’re also already paying for daily gratuities for food service.

Not for specialty dining your not

For a $30 tip (on top of the 18%) my server would have to be spoon feeding me and wiping my mouth between bites.
I didnt suggest a $30 tip on top of the $18. I said I normally tip $5-$10 per person for specialty dining...the example was two people at Giovanni's would be $9 (included gratuity) and up to $10 per person for a total of $30ish.

But, lets take Olive Garden for example. A bad example meant as a joke, but lets run with it.

Calamari $9.99

Lasagna Fritta $8.99

Soup $5.00

Salad $6.29

Salmon $18.29

Chicken Marsala $17.29

Cheesecake $6.49

Tiramisu $6.49

La Crema Pinot Noir x 4 @ $12/each = $48

Irish Coffee $6.00

$130 give or take

20% of $130 is $26

So yeah....$30 in gratuity for a meal for two at Giovanni's when I'm getting a great octopus salad and Osso Bucco seems pretty fair to me.

33815911_1718325998256084_1383521425465278464_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=f01df66bbc46dd34141f2f93a4d96ae4&oe=5BB48ED1

34121924_1718325974922753_7518473906735284224_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=e53f8769630797a8d6231e50fe8d2f23&oe=5BBA2997

33824434_1718325978256086_8954864554253221888_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=d3ebcef7ff310ee8ad6f03077159e5c5&oe=5BE96C2C

Edited by LSUfan4444

But aren't you already paying the daily gratuity, which covers food service?

Ive actually never considered that while o the ship and maybe Im wrong but doesnt your daily gratuity only cover the main dining room servers? Head waiter, waiter and asst waiter???

Most people: No, it was always part of the cover charge, but recently they added an additional 18% on top of that.

People here on the forum: Tip $100 per person because the service was great!

I kid ... but only kind of...

Ive actually never considered that while o the ship and maybe Im wrong but doesnt your daily gratuity only cover the main dining room servers? Head waiter, waiter and asst waiter???

It's pooled goes to everyone who serves, regardless of the venue.

Ive seen reports to the contrary saying it doesnt include specialty dining on another forum but good to know for future trips I guess. I always had just assumed it was for the cabin stewards, MDR and places like Sorrento's, Wipeout, etc.

giphy.gif