Medications

TNDeb

My third cruise is coming up next month and on the past 2 cruises, I've had no problem with having my medications in small, daily zip locks. (I think it's CRAZY to have to tote all those prescription bottles). This year I will also be traveling with syringes and Lantus(insulin). I'm thinking it may be a good idea to have some kind of proof that I need these two items. I use mail order prescription service and was wondering if a print off of my medications would suffice.

:)

My third cruise is coming up next month and on the past 2 cruises, I've had no problem with having my medications in small, daily zip locks. (I think it's CRAZY to have to tote all those prescription bottles). This year I will also be traveling with syringes and Lantus(insulin). I'm thinking it may be a good idea to have some kind of proof that I need these two items. I use mail order prescription service and was wondering if a print off of my medications would suffice.

There are many threads on CC regarding Rx meds. At the bottom line, all you really need is what pharmacists refer to as a "back panel." It is their printout of your list of meds along with your and MD(s) ID info. Usually, the visual description of the med is also listed (with the most sophisticated "back panels" having a picture of the med as well.

Some on CC will swear that some government agency (state or federal) will REQUIRE original containers. Not true. Read regulations carefully. Some rules SUGGEST original containers. However, there is nothing that stops a traveler from putting whatever in an original script bottle. Only a complete "back panel" with complete ID info, preferably including the item's picture, is the most efficacious Rx ID.

Is this for flying or the cruise ship? If flying, I always use the original prescription bottles for meds (it's actually not crazy to use the original containers, it is smart. The horror stories I have read on these boards alone are awful). If I needed syringes or other medical supplies, I would definitely bring a copy/paper trail proof of the prescriptions for those items. However, embarkation at the cruise ship terminal is different in that they really don't care; they are more so looking for smuggled alcohol and other contraband. I have moved my pills from the prescription bottles to a 7-day pill container in the hotel, and boarded the ship with absolutely no problem.

Is this for flying or the cruise ship? If flying, I always use the original prescription bottles for meds (it's actually not crazy to use the original containers, it is smart. The horror stories I have read on these boards alone are awful). If I needed syringes or other medical supplies, I would definitely bring a copy/paper trail proof of the prescriptions for those items. However, embarkation at the cruise ship terminal is different in that they really don't care; they are more so looking for smuggled alcohol and other contraband. I have moved my pills from the prescription bottles to a 7-day pill container in the hotel, and boarded the ship with absolutely no problem.

I fly all the time and have always repacked my meds - never a problem. Could you please provide links to these horror stories.

DON

I fly all the time and have always repacked my meds - never a problem. Could you please provide links to these horror stories.

DON

Don, I've been a member here for many years, as you can see. I have read a lot of things in that time. I don't have the exact links to any of these threads but I promise you I have read about members who have had zealous TSA agents tip passengers' pills over and upside down on the dirty counter; I have read one member's account of her senior mom who had this happen to her and it gave her severe anxiety, adding to the problem; I have read of delays and reprimands; I, myself, was forced to re-pack an item to a TSA's satisfaction.

So no, I don't have the links and I don't think you expected me to, as you were probably trying to trip me up or make me look bad because you have not had the experiences I have described. Someone on this board asked for advice - I gave mine.

The first question you need to answer is, where are you cruising? If it's the Caribbean, you may get asked about the needles, but that's about it. But, if your cruise is outside the Caribbean, there are some countries that are very strict on prescription meds, and if you don't have them in the original bottles, there can be big trouble. For that matter, there are some countries where bringing in any kind of drug is illegal.

Don, I've been a member here for many years, as you can see. I have read a lot of things in that time. I don't have the exact links to any of these threads but I promise you I have read about members who have had zealous TSA agents tip passengers' pills over and upside down on the dirty counter; I have read one member's account of her senior mom who had this happen to her and it gave her severe anxiety, adding to the problem; I have read of delays and reprimands; I, myself, was forced to re-pack an item to a TSA's satisfaction.

So no, I don't have the links and I don't think you expected me to, as you were probably trying to trip me up or make me look bad because you have not had the experiences I have described. Someone on this board asked for advice - I gave mine.

I also remember the post about the woman's mom...It wasn't that long ago. There was a big debate about it too. Whether TSA had the right to do what they did and if the mother was wrong for nor having original bottles etc.

Point is, I don't think theres an ACTUAL LAW stating you have to have the actual bottle. However, my husband takes anti seizure meds. Not something we want to be without on a cruise. So we take the bottle. It's just too important. Once we actually get on the ship we we will put them in a daily pill box, but not until that point. Some people say that's not needed, but I just like having the pill with the Script name and the doctors name on it. Just my personal opinion.

DS and fam have flown to visit us numerous times DGD is a diabetic so there are always needles and insulin in their carry on. As much as they've flown the TSA has never even asked them to open their bag to check it out.

Now if I were bringing a lot of prescription narcotics I think I would leave those in their original containers so I wouldn't be considered a drug smuggler.

I have also read those horror stories here on CC but I still pack hubby's pills in daily amounts in small 3"x3" ziplock bags for our flights and cruises, sometimes as many as 40 little baggies. I pack them in a larger ziplock and include a printout of his meds, provided by the pharmacy. We've never had a problem, even when randomly selected for search in both US and Jamaica.

He is not on any narcotic or I'd leave those in original bottle. But I'm not packing 19 bottles of 90 day supply. Our pharmacy doesn't do smaller amounts.

So,to OP I say do what you are most comfortable with but I'd recommend simply bringing some kind of proof of the Rx.

We have our drug store make smaller bottles for all our prescriptions. My DH takes quite a few medications 4 times a day -- many of them horse pills and several he takes 3 times a day. No way do I haul those huge bottles.

NOW -- we were among the first to be checked by TSA after 9/11 and they opened and dumped all of DH's medications on a table!! Then scooped them up and into bottles -- everything was mixed up and we had no time to get new meds for him.

Since then, TSA has opened our medical bag -- looked at the bottles and the prescriptions on them. That is the reason I keep everything in their bottles.

there is confusion here between tsa and cbp. we tend to clump all the g'vermint people into one bucket...they aren't the same.

transportation security admin has one set of rules

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/what-expect-if-passenger-needs-medication

and customs and border protection has theirs

http://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/local-media-release/2015-04-22-000000/cbp-advises-travelers-entry-regulations-pertaining

which includes "Carry such substances in their original containers; and Present a valid prescription for the substance issued by a U.S.-licensed practitioner who is registered with, and authorized by, the DEA to prescribe the medication. "

but they don't always enforce all of them..

remember when you enter another country their cbp equivalent has their own rules too..

narcotics should be in their original container i.e. Oxycontin and any opiates.

they aren't looking for diabetics but you never know what will set them off...

Have you considered getting your pharmacist to blister pack your meds for the duration of the cruise. All the info one may need will be on the pack and sealed. I also take Lantus and carry it in my carry on bags. I have the needles disconnected from the pen. We were once asked by a Customs officer in Australia what meds we were carrying and it took a little while to figure out what we had. These days I keep a list of all our meds in our carryon in case we are asked again. Never have though.

A HUGE THANK YOU to everyone who has replied.

I too get my meds in 90 day supplies, from a mail order pharmacy. I take a total of 10 different meds. The insulin I'm taking does not need to be refrigerated. There is a prescription label on the box it comes in with my name as well as my physicians name. I already have all the oral meds in their little baggies(aren't they the neatest things?). I will carry the pouch with my testing supplies as well as the insulin and syringes with me. To be on the safe side, I will print out a list of all my meds from that mail order pharmacy and call it good. We're driving to Cocoa Beach, so there is no airport security to fool with. I also read on Carnival's website that I can ask our Steward for a container for used syringes.

16 days til we head south and 18 til we're cruising the Sunshine. I am soooooooooo ready!!!

I don't know about how pharmacies work in the US, except that bottles seem to be quite common whereas in Europe almost all medications are sold in boxes.

Would it be a possibility to ask your pharmacy for a Baxter roll for just the cruise, which is all pills/day (or morning/noon/evening) divided in small bags on a roll like this?

medicijnrol_2.jpg

These are used a lot in nursery homes, prisons, etc in Holland but it might be useful for cruises as well. At least you wouldn't be carrying around bottles and it would be the "original container" as well.

I don't know about how pharmacies work in the US, except that bottles seem to be quite common whereas in Europe almost all medications are sold in boxes.

Would it be a possibility to ask your pharmacy for a Baxter roll for just the cruise, which is all pills/day (or morning/noon/evening) divided in small bags on a roll like this?

medicijnrol_2.jpg

These are used a lot in nursery homes, prisons, etc in Holland but it might be useful for cruises as well. At least you wouldn't be carrying around bottles and it would be the "original container" as well.

That Baxter roll looks great but I don't think the US has such a thing.

Always carried my meds in a 7-day pill box for Caribbean cruise, but or Europe, I took the bottles in a zip-lock and put them in containers on the ship since we did pre and post cruise, and we had to go through immigration in two different countries. I'm not really worried, but I don't want to be "that one" that gets pulled to the side.

That Baxter roll looks great but I don't think the US has such a thing.

Baxter is a US company and while there are a few competitors, the word Baxter is like Xerox for copying. Anyway, I've asked a pharmacist who has the equipment to make them if it wouldn't be nice for people going on holiday. He would gladly provide the service, and thought the patients would probably like it, but there are too many laws that in practice prohibit making them. Actually, he would get a hefty fine for selling baxter rolls to patients not approved by the insurance company, even if the patient would pay himself. But that's really the Dutch situation, I guess there must be countries that don't have rules that really go beyond imagination.

• 4 weeks later...

We have our medication in weekly dosette boxes with all the medication put in morn, noon, dinner and bed boxes which you push out when needed they have a slip telling u what kind of medication is in each window we are cruising to Western Europe from Southampton on independence of the seas

You should understand that TSA has nothing to do with drugs.

Most stories I read about TSA are fifth hand from some myth stories.

Have you every seen any one being stopped because they medicine they take is not original bottles?

You should understand that TSA has nothing to do with drugs.

Most stories I read about TSA are fifth hand from some myth stories.

Have you every seen any one being stopped because they medicine they take is not original bottles?

I've heard and actually seen it happen...to someone else, not me. TSA can and does get overzealous at times.

Here's some advice on TSA. They are NOT law enforcement. They are security. If TSA ever tries to take medications, immediately demand a police officer.

A HUGE THANK YOU to everyone who has replied.

I too get my meds in 90 day supplies, from a mail order pharmacy. I take a total of 10 different meds. The insulin I'm taking does not need to be refrigerated. There is a prescription label on the box it comes in with my name as well as my physicians name. I already have all the oral meds in their little baggies(aren't they the neatest things?). I will carry the pouch with my testing supplies as well as the insulin and syringes with me. To be on the safe side, I will print out a list of all my meds from that mail order pharmacy and call it good. We're driving to Cocoa Beach, so there is no airport security to fool with. I also read on Carnival's website that I can ask our Steward for a container for used syringes.

16 days til we head south and 18 til we're cruising the Sunshine. I am soooooooooo ready!!!

You're doing the right thing. Flatbush Flyer got it right when they said medications are not required to be in original containers. Just having proof of prescription like a label is all you need. A link was provided earlier from CBP suggesting original packaging, but a suggestion is all it is. It is not law.

A few years ago while going through security at Hong Kong Int'l, the x-ray tech saw something in our backpack and called out the MIB (w/machine pistols and black berets) :cool:

The Lt. came out, spoke with the tech, made me empty out the pack, looked at our papers, patted Kid on the head and let us move on.

I had forgotten to take out Kid's epi-pen kit from the backpack :p I guess on the x-ray it looked lethal.

I agree with what Flatbush Flyer mentioned earlier in this thread. We are making this medication issue more complicated than it needs to be.

Your pharmacist can print out a back panel that he or she would generate for his or her compliance packaging patients. The back panel meets all the legal requirements. It has a prescription number, the name of the medication, the physician’s name, the number of refills, when you should take the medication and a description of each medication. Make sure you also include all your vitamins and herbal supplements on the back panel. You can then attach the back panel to your dosett or compliance pack and you can travel with peace of mind.

You should always bring a few extra days of medication in case you are delayed in getting home.

I hope you enjoy your cruise!

I've always put my daily meds in pill pouches and never had a problem. For one cruise, I was recovering from surgery and brought my Vicodin just in case I needed it. Someone suggested to me that I not only bring it in the original bottle, but bring a note from my doctor as well. (He actually just wrote out a new prescription and I shredded it after I came home). On that cruise I also had wound care supplies including a liter of saline solution. To get through the TSA check point, I had to remove the bottle from my bag before it went through the scanner so they could see it and test it somehow. Then it was returned to me - not a problem.

On my first cruise, I broke my ankle and the hospital sent me home with a 30 day supply of shots that I had to give myself to prevent blood clots. I didn't have any prescription info for them. They were in boxes that were printed with the drug info, but it wasn't in English. I didn't have any problem getting them through security.

I think the best thing to do when dealing with the TSA is to be completely transparent. If you have anything that they might question, take it out of your bag before it even gets scanned. That way they can see it and understand that it's clearly not something you feel the need to hide. Also, know the rules before you go, and even print them out if you're carrying something unusual (like the large bottle of saline).

If they want to check something, they have to wait for a supervisor to open your bag. You aren't allowed to touch it. When you're running late and have to wait, you get anxious, which makes you look very suspicious and only makes things worse.