Panama Canal Ports BEWARE

Leafpeeper

After sailing on NCL Star Panama Canal cruise in February, we wished we had waited to take NCL Gem next January instead because they will be visiting Aruba and Curaco before Panama and Ixtapa (my fav Pacific port). Our cruise stopped in Cartenaga, Columbia (huge city), Nicaragua, and more DANGEROUS San Jose, Guatemala. On a ride to the beach in Guatemala, we spotted Police with machine guns every three feet. We cancelled our beach trip and prayed we would make it back to the ship safely. This was not the 50th anniversary cruise I expected. Such a disappointment. Buyer beware!

OP,

You need to get out more.

There are visible armed police (or military) in many countries when you visit.

They are common, for example, in the tourist areas of Mexico, on the streets in Costa Rica, and yes, in Aruba last week.

There even were armed guards in Paris, France during one of our visits.

And even more frightening are those yoyos with gun permits in the USA....

After sailing on NCL Star Panama Canal cruise in February, we wished we had waited to take NCL Gem next January instead because they will be visiting Aruba and Curaco before Panama and Ixtapa (my fav Pacific port). Our cruise stopped in Cartenaga, Columbia (huge city), Nicaragua, and more DANGEROUS San Jose, Guatemala. On a ride to the beach in Guatemala, we spotted Police with machine guns every three feet. We cancelled our beach trip and prayed we would make it back to the ship safely. This was not the 50th anniversary cruise I expected. Such a disappointment. Buyer beware!

If armed police frighten you perhaps you should stick to ports where there is very little poverty (and even in nicer areas I still see them around the port area). Good luck finding a cruise that only goes to those places though, as they are few and far between in the Caribbean. Better to have them and not need them than not have them and need them.

Good grief, I agree. This "fear" was very unreasonable. I've seen armed national guard in the NYC subways. etc

The op, makes no note of any disturbance, crime etc? Are they worried about their "safety" when they encounter their local armed police force?

, and more DANGEROUS San Jose, Guatemala. On a ride to the beach in Guatemala, we spotted Police with machine guns every three feet. We cancelled our beach trip and prayed we would make it back to the ship safely. !

DANGEROUS? Really. Police patrolling with MG is precisely why the place is safe, free of bad guys and you made it back to the ship in one piece.

it`s not the police with guns you need to worry about it`s the ones their keeping away !!! we were on the star in February and never once felt threatened . Just use some common sense and stay in the main areas .

OP, we have been to Guatemala numerous times on both cruises and land vacations and NEVER, EVER felt concerned for our safety. And we do not speak a darn word in Spanish!

It is far more dangerous and unsafe here in some parts of the good old USA than the whole of Guatemala.

Nothing for anyone, as you put it, to be "buyer beware".

Stop being a fear-monger!

Get a life.

You need to get out more often.

I understand what the OP is saying. I remember seeing my first policemen at Frankfort's airport with a rifle at at their sides about 30 years ago and felt safer. Now when I see a huge police presence at port I don't have that same feeling. We were in Alcapulco and we were walking around (not more than a half mile from the ship) when a local advised us to not go further. Use your common sense and gut level feeling. I'm a pretty adventuresome sort and have been on five continents, but keep my radar up. Ending up near a near riot on May 1st in Barcelona was my worst experience. Btw, I'm a senior female.

When you travel you may wish to review www.Travel.State.Gov. You can look up the countries you are traveling to/through and determine if it is right for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this.

we are sailing Star thru PC leaving next Sunday. the only port where i will stay on ship is Acapulco given its Level 4 warning.

we had machine guns on the streets of Boston and at Logan Airport after the marathon bombing. still see them at certain airports on a regular basis throughout the US.

Police with guns have been standard in most European port (airports included) for as long as I can remember.

My first trip to New York Times Square had me surprised when I saw all the police fully dressed in what looked like SWAT gear and machine guns too.

Even our local mall has armed/swat police patrolling these days. Belize had machine guns mounted on their jeeps patrolling the streets when we were there. Pretty much every port we have been to in the last few years has armed guards/police in plain view. Unfortunately, that is the world we live in now.

I am taking my first Panama Canal trip on the Bliss next year. While I am always aware of my surrounding and on alert I feel that If I survived my sailings to Istanbul and Cairo I'll survive this one too. Lots of machine guns in those places made me feel more safe than not.

Some ppl don't get out much. If it was that dangerous the cruise line would not be stopping there.

Took the blue bus from Terminal B at LGA to the Marine Air Terminal to pick up the rental car shuttle. Yup, police with what looked like machine guns (big scary guns anyway) when we got off. Yup they are everywhere. And unlike some people that makes me feel unsafe. But I am not going to stop traveling because of it.

We have been cruising since 1990. Never experienced anything like San Jose, Guatemala. Never seen Machine Guns on a trip to a beach. I sail from NY every January. Big difference. When the cab brings a Security person, that's unusual. The cab driver told us how dangerous San Jose was as we were driving. He said his brothers moved to Seattle to get away from the danger. From the ship, the beach nearby looks lovely and peaceful and safe. That's because it is their Navy's beach. Had I known we couldn't use that beach, we would have stayed onboard. Believe me, nobody wants to go sightseeing in San Jose

I suggest you machine gun loving tourists book a trip to San Jose and enjoy it. I'll take Bermuda anytime.

Seeing an entire city lined with police 3 feet apart holding machine guns is not the Caribbean cruise most people have in mind when they plan a winter vacation.

We all have our favorite destinations. I will stick with mine next time. For those who have never been to these ports, I suggest you read about them before final payment. These are not your typical Caribbean ports of call. Best to book an excursion through the ship to be safe.

I take Amtrak to NY for a cruise every winter and have never seen Police with machine guns. I worked in Boston and never saw machine guns there either. I try to avoid cities as much as possible.

The more we travel, the more we appreciate living at our quiet little beach in New England. After our Panama Canal Cruise, we were especially happy to be home and look forward to a southern Caribbean cruise next winter.