Allure-safety of drinking water onboard

I saw a recent Allure cruise compass and the warning about only drinking bottled sealed drinking water really freaked me out. Does anyone know more about this? I had always been assured that they must have a safe supply of filtered drinking water onboard and test it constantly.

If the ships water is not safe to drink. It is not safe to use to brush your teeth, for them to clean vegetables and fruit that are to be served raw, or for them to make tea or anything else that is not boiled.

The cruise ship categorizes part of it's service as a hotel. If a hotel has a problem with it's water, it has a responsibility to provide a free source of bottled water. There is a reason I have never chosen to stay at a resort in Mexico, or eat food while at many cruise ports. Everyone I know who has stayed in Mexico has gotten sick despite taking precautions. This upcoming cruise will only be my 9th cruise, but I have never seen such a warning before.

I have a concern, that by posting the warning they may feel they are letting themselves off the hook, so they do not have the same responsibility to keep the water supply safe.

We do not drink soda, coffee, tea, or alcohol. We drink water. I can see where someone might say "just buy a water package" but we would need to purchase 2, one for outside the cabin and one for inside the cabin. We do not drink bottled water at home but stock it only for emergencies. Our local water with our water filter is safe.

Both I and much of our part are in the high risk category. If the there is a health risk of drinking the water on the ship, I would be afraid to eat most the foods I would usually eat onboard.

If someone had told me before my final cruise payment was due that I would be risking my health if I did not use only bottled water to drink, brush my teeth, and to avoid any fruits, vegetables, or unboiled food as they would not be prepared with bottled water, I would have cancelled the trip.

Can someone elaborate on this situation and please ease my mind?

I think the warning is for water ashore, not on the ship. The ship maintains water to USPH standards, and the sanitation processes are more rigid than most municipalities. I've worked at sea for 42 years, and 4 years on cruise ships, and made all the water, and loaded all the water, from US ports, for everyone on the ship, and I can say that the water on cruise ships is more than safe to drink.

If you could post the compass with the warning, it would clear things up a lot.

The ship's water is in the food you'll eat for a week, the ice in your drinks, and all beverages. It's fine. It's clean. It's WATER. Your body only needs H2O...and that is what the water on the ship is.

"Bottled" water is the biggest scam ever perpetrated on the American Public in history. There are still countries in this world that walk miles to pull water out of a muddy hole...and we are concerned about what is in bottles? Are you kidding me? The stuff in bottles comes out of a TAP, just like you have at home, or on the ship...or wherever a water line runs.

Drink the ship's water. It's fine. We are still living, healthily! It's water. Period.

Ashore, in most countries, if you're in a "tourist" area, the water is fine, too. Out in the countryside...avoid tap water, and raw veggies/fruits. NO tourist area wants to make their patrons ill....so they do use purified water. Mexico is where you want to be careful..and some European countries.....the Caribbean is fine.

The ship's water is in the food you'll eat for a week, the ice in your drinks, and all beverages. It's fine. It's clean. It's WATER. Your body only needs H2O...and that is what the water on the ship is.

"Bottled" water is the biggest scam ever perpetrated on the American Public in history. There are still countries in this world that walk miles to pull water out of a muddy hole...and we are concerned about what is in bottles? Are you kidding me? The stuff in bottles comes out of a TAP, just like you have at home, or on the ship...or wherever a water line runs.

Drink the ship's water. It's fine. We are still living, healthily! It's water. Period.

Ashore, in most countries, if you're in a "tourist" area, the water is fine, too. Out in the countryside...avoid tap water, and raw veggies/fruits. NO tourist area wants to make their patrons ill....so they do use purified water. Mexico is where you want to be careful..and some European countries.....the Caribbean is fine.

Blah, blah blah blah..........:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I saw a recent Allure cruise compass and the warning about only drinking bottled sealed drinking water really freaked me out. Does anyone know more about this? I had always been assured that they must have a safe supply of filtered drinking water onboard and test it constantly.

If the ships water is not safe to drink. It is not safe to use to brush your teeth, for them to clean vegetables and fruit that are to be served raw, or for them to make tea or anything else that is not boiled.

The cruise ship categorizes part of it's service as a hotel. If a hotel has a problem with it's water, it has a responsibility to provide a free source of bottled water. There is a reason I have never chosen to stay at a resort in Mexico, or eat food while at many cruise ports. Everyone I know who has stayed in Mexico has gotten sick despite taking precautions. This upcoming cruise will only be my 9th cruise, but I have never seen such a warning before.

I have a concern, that by posting the warning they may feel they are letting themselves off the hook, so they do not have the same responsibility to keep the water supply safe.

We do not drink soda, coffee, tea, or alcohol. We drink water. I can see where someone might say "just buy a water package" but we would need to purchase 2, one for outside the cabin and one for inside the cabin. We do not drink bottled water at home but stock it only for emergencies. Our local water with our water filter is safe.

Both I and much of our part are in the high risk category. If the there is a health risk of drinking the water on the ship, I would be afraid to eat most the foods I would usually eat onboard.

If someone had told me before my final cruise payment was due that I would be risking my health if I did not use only bottled water to drink, brush my teeth, and to avoid any fruits, vegetables, or unboiled food as they would not be prepared with bottled water, I would have cancelled the trip.

Can you please post the Compass that said not to drink the ships water? There is always a warning about the water in the ports, but I have never seen one about ship water and find that really hard to believe. It would be impossible to use only bottled water.

I think the warning is for water ashore, not on the ship. The ship maintains water to USPH standards, and the sanitation processes are more rigid than most municipalities. I've worked at sea for 42 years, and 4 years on cruise ships, and made all the water, and loaded all the water, from US ports, for everyone on the ship, and I can say that the water on cruise ships is more than safe to drink.

If you could post the compass with the warning, it would clear things up a lot.

Thanks again for your expert advice,it has settled my mind.

niksmom630 did an excellent live stream from the Allure sailing Feb 25th. This was in every days cruise compass she posted. Day1-8. Since it was there the day sailed from Ft Lauderdale and on every other day including sea days, it freaked me out a little.Yes they were a different itinerary and stopped in Mexico. But it was there long before got to Mexico. Look for yourself. Just put her name into search. It is the exact same warning Big_G put up above. I just wanted to know if things had changed. Having had many GI surgeries,I am more sensitive than some and do not play around with those things. Like I said, the warning being there even in Ft Lauderdale and saying nothing about drinking water off the ship really freaked me. This is one reason we like to cruise. I can go to a few places that I cannot risk traveling to at all otherwise. Read the warning. If there every day of cruise is that worrying. I am hoping someone can ease my mind because their warning does not. Are all cruise lines now placing this warning in everyday of their cruise compass or equivalent?

Thousands of people have been cruising long before anyone thought of bottling water (myself included). We all drank the ship’s water and lived to tell about it. We do bring a couple of sports bottles and fill with water from the ship to take on excursions and have by the pool, etc.

Hoo boy, whole lot of drama. OP, just contact the cruise line if you are severely worried about the safety of the water that tens of thousands of passengers and crew drink every single day. And the crew in particular drink this water daily for months on end. If the water was hazardous, there would be a lot more sick passengers than there are reported.

And note that the warning says "sources of drinking water are subject to contamination", so just ask the cruise line what sources of water they use, or better yet, contact the USPH at 800-CDC-INFO, and ask to speak to someone in the VSP (vessel sanitation program) about potable water safety.

niksmom630 did an excellent live stream from the Allure sailing Feb 25th. This was in every days cruise compass she posted. Day1-8. Since it was there the day sailed from Ft Lauderdale and on every other day including sea days, it freaked me out a little.Yes they were a different itinerary and stopped in Mexico. But it was there long before got to Mexico. Look for yourself. Just put her name into search. It is the exact same warning Big_G put up above. I just wanted to know if things had changed. Having had many GI surgeries,I am more sensitive than some and do not play around with those things. Like I said, the warning being there even in Ft Lauderdale and saying nothing about drinking water off the ship really freaked me. This is one reason we like to cruise. I can go to a few places that I cannot risk traveling to at all otherwise. Read the warning. If there every day of cruise is that worrying. I am hoping someone can ease my mind because their warning does not. Are all cruise lines now placing this warning in everyday of their cruise compass or equivalent?

When you build a flyer like the Compass, they have certain sections that they never change. The staff would change dates, times, locations but some standard messages just appear because it's easier to leave it. I feel bad that you're not understanding what everyone is telling you. THE.WATER.IS.FINE. chengkp75 is a Chief Engineer. He, above anyone here, knows what he's talking about. I hope you're able to relax after reading these, because if not, perhaps home is the best choice..

Hi Carolitis,

Smell it first especially if there is ice in it, if you smell something in the water do not drink it because it could be mold or something else because they did not clean the ice machine or where they store the ice that is my theory on it. If I get a drink ether soda or water I get it without ice. I am very sensitive to chemicals. So I get one of the drink packages that includes bottled water.

Wendy

Hi Carolitis, Smell it first especially if there is ice in it, if you smell something in the water do not drink it because it could be mold or something else because they did not clean the ice machine or where they store the ice that is my theory on it. If I get a drink ether soda or water I get it without ice. I am very sensitive to chemicals. So I get one of the drink packages that includes bottled water. Wendy

I saw a recent Allure cruise compass and the warning about only drinking bottled sealed drinking water really freaked me out. Does anyone know more about this? I had always been assured that they must have a safe supply of filtered drinking water onboard and test it constantly. If the ships water is not safe to drink. It is not safe to use to brush your teeth, for them to clean vegetables and fruit that are to be served raw, or for them to make tea or anything else that is not boiled. The cruise ship categorizes part of it's service as a hotel. If a hotel has a problem with it's water, it has a responsibility to provide a free source of bottled water. There is a reason I have never chosen to stay at a resort in Mexico, or eat food while at many cruise ports. Everyone I know who has stayed in Mexico has gotten sick despite taking precautions. This upcoming cruise will only be my 9th cruise, but I have never seen such a warning before. I have a concern, that by posting the warning they may feel they are letting themselves off the hook, so they do not have the same responsibility to keep the water supply safe. We do not drink soda, coffee, tea, or alcohol. We drink water. I can see where someone might say "just buy a water package" but we would need to purchase 2, one for outside the cabin and one for inside the cabin. We do not drink bottled water at home but stock it only for emergencies. Our local water with our water filter is safe. Both I and much of our part are in the high risk category. If the there is a health risk of drinking the water on the ship, I would be afraid to eat most the foods I would usually eat onboard. If someone had told me before my final cruise payment was due that I would be risking my health if I did not use only bottled water to drink, brush my teeth, and to avoid any fruits, vegetables, or unboiled food as they would not be prepared with bottled water, I would have cancelled the trip. Can someone elaborate on this situation and please ease my mind?

Hi Carolitis, Smell it first especially if there is ice in it, if you smell something in the water do not drink it because it could be mold or something else because they did not clean the ice machine or where they store the ice that is my theory on it. If I get a drink ether soda or water I get it without ice. I am very sensitive to chemicals. So I get one of the drink packages that includes bottled water. Wendy

Well, I'll debate that. Each and every ice maker on the ship (and the ice is stored in the ice maker bins) is cleaned and sanitized monthly, and even a speck of mold anywhere on the machine is cause for a deduction on the USPH inspections.

Thanks everyone. I am satisfied! Glad to learn this is not one more area to worry about. When traveling with health issues have to check everything out in advance. I had never seen this before except for when leaving the ship, so the fact they were warning me about something I took for granted was safe, needed clarification. I knew I would get real answers here. Of course if something later seems out of the ordinary once on the ship will not ignore.

I think the warning is meant to make people cautious about making sure any bottled water they buy in port is in a sealed bottle. If you buy water in a shop, it's probably fine, but you might want to be cautious about street vendors. Just check any bottle before you buy to make sure it's sealed and hasn't been refilled.

When you build a flyer like the Compass, they have certain sections that they never change. The staff would change dates, times, locations but some standard messages just appear because it's easier to leave it. I feel bad that you're not understanding what everyone is telling you. THE.WATER.IS.FINE. chengkp75 is a Chief Engineer. He, above anyone here, knows what he's talking about. I hope you're able to relax after reading these, because if not, perhaps home is the best choice..

I totally agree.

I actually really like the taste of the water onboard. Maybe RC should think about bottling it lol. I'm just back from Disney and the tap water in my hotel was really unpalatable. I'm sure it was safe, just didn't like the taste.