An Excursion Question - Have you every heard of this?

Luvmesomeme

Can you accompany a minor on an excursion without participating in all of it? My daughter and I are going on a cruise for her 16th birthday. I'm just going to say that I am a midlife mommy. My others are 36, 29 and 26 and this was the one who snuck up on us to keep us young. She has picked out the excursions that she wants to go on and frankly I am frightened. I want her to have fun but I really do not want to do this excursion:

Learn about the history and culture of this region of the Dominican Republic on route to our private secluded cove where you will be able to navigate your way through the adrenaline filled course of swinging logs, rope bridges, climbing nets, and zip lines.

After soaring across Coconut Cove Bay at speeds up to 18 miles per hour on the ‘Flying Fish’ zip line, enjoy a delicious Dominican buffet and time to swim in the ocean or relax on the beach.

Next to impossible to accompany her on zip lines and stuff without ziplining yourself.

Nope, you going to have to put on the big girl pants and show your daughter that there is nothing to fear in life and that she should take life on head on.

#NOFEARMOM

while I sit back, sip my drink and laugh at you :evilsmile:

Next to impossible to accompany her on zip lines and stuff without ziplining yourself.

Nope, you going to have to put on the big girl pants and show your daughter that there is nothing to fear in life and that she should take life on head on.

#NOFEARMOM

while I sit back, sip my drink and laugh at you :evilsmile:

LOL...That's just one port. She's already fearless, that's why I'm scared.

I don’t think they will allow you to go on the excursion without paying, even if you don’t do the zip line part. FWIW, I’d be nervous, too, and would pay for the trip.

Oh, I absolutely planned to pay. I just didn't want to do the challenge course.

You can elect to purchase the excursion to accompany your daughter, but not participate - 'stay on the bus'...You can't just ride along without paying. They are selling places on the bus/excursion. EM

I absolutely intended to pay. I'm afraid, I'm just going to be honest. I'm old enough to be her grandma. Don't want to go out there and break anything :'):')

My experience was in Alaska. DH REALLY wanted to do the zip line excursion. SO I went with him. I did NOT do the rope tunnel or wooden bridge that was before the zip line. I hiked ... and hiked ... and hiked UP to where the zip line started. Once I did 1 zip line .... there was NO going back. There were 6 zip lines .... some SO high that we were looking down 100 feet. The zip line didn't descend 100 ft., it's just we were that high up. I was TERRIFIED .... I am thrilled that I did it .... I will NEVER do it again.

My experience was in Alaska. DH REALLY wanted to do the zip line excursion. SO I went with him. I did NOT do the rope tunnel or wooden bridge that was before the zip line. I hiked ... and hiked ... and hiked UP to where the zip line started. Once I did 1 zip line .... there was NO going back. There were 6 zip lines .... some SO high that we were looking down 100 feet. The zip line didn't descend 100 ft., it's just we were that high up. I was TERRIFIED .... I am thrilled that I did it .... I will NEVER do it again.

I was thinking that if I did the zip line that would be so proud of myself for having done it and my daughter would be proud also but I'm not sure I can work up the courage.

Give it a try! You might very well surprise yourself and your daughter will be so impressed. We were in St. Lucia for my husband's 60th birthday and all he wanted to do was go to the zip line park. I was 57, disliked heights and was frightened but I decided to be brave. It was great fun and I had quite a sense of accomplishment. Two years later we did the zip lines at Grouse Mountain (Vancouver) - which are much higher and much longer - and walked over the Capilano suspension bridge multiple times. I'm glad I did it when I had the chance because three years later both of my hips started to give out and had to be replaced. I think my zip lining days are over!

I absolutely intended to pay. I'm afraid, I'm just going to be honest. I'm old enough to be her grandma. Don't want to go out there and break anything :'):')

Wife jumped out of an airplane for her 60th birthday, three years later we did a course in Alaska with 8 Ziplines. Go for it, it's something that the two of you will talk about for years.

I agree it may be that she will not be able to do the excursion without you with her; waiting on the bus may not work. She is after all still a child.

Only you can tell if you physically will be OK or even mentally be OK doing the excursion.

It might be a teaching moment for your daughter; not every parent is able to do the things (or want to) that a 16 yo wants to do. It doesn't really matter the parent's age; there may be other limitations.

It is OK if you are not comfortable doing the excursion; this does not make you a bad parent.

I am sure you will have a great time together; traveling with others often involves compromise on what everyone wants to do.

Safe sailing!