Eastern, Western or Southern......

We love Southern.

If we’re going to Mexico we prefer land vacations in interesting places the whole Cozumel/Costa Maya scene.

The typical Eastern ports are too much like mostly-identical Potemkin villages of shopping and bars to capture cruise dollars for my tastes.

The further south you get, the more each island retains a unique character and experience.

I haven’t done it in years, but my first cruise was Boston to Bermuda, and Bermuda is still an interesting and fun island if you want something different.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

got a 10 day booked to the southern Caribbean this December with only 1 day at sea.

7 of the 9 islands we have never been to before.

After 30+ cruises I can't say that too often.:cool:

Bill

Perfer more sea days loved our 9 day abc island cruise with 5 sea days, that was cruise 62

which is ur favorite Caribbean and why? :)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Our favourite cruise ever was on Crown Princess in January 2007 on a 15 night East and Southern Caribbean cruise out of San Juan.

Every island was fantastic with gorgeous beaches, Pauline loved the jewellery shops in the St islands of St Martaen,St Thomas and St Kitts.

We did 11 islands and loved everyone of them.

Definitely the southern itinerary out of San Juan.

For starters, San Juan is a fantastic port of embarkation which is an excellent destination in itself. Allow a few days prior to your cruise to explore, specially around Old San Juan.

I’m currently in Puerto Rico for 5 days and it’s wonderful to see that the island is back in business after the hurricanes of 2017. There’s obviously still work to do, but It’s hard to tell what this island went through 6 months ago. The lush green is back, businesses are open again and many new ones have sprouted all over the island.

As someone else mentioned, the Caribbean truly begins south of San Juan. The islands of the Lesser Antilles retain, for the most part, the charm and uniqueness that this region is known for. You’re much less likely to find islands overrun with tourists or which have been overdeveloped to apease American tourists. You will most likely experience a more authentic Caribbean along the Southern Route.

Keep in mind that there are different itineraries labeled as “Southern”. Out of Florida ports, some itineraries that head to Curaçao, Aruba and Bonaire (the ABC islands) are labeled as such. While these islands do offer their own unique experience and are very enjoyable, they are nothing like the more tropical and lush islands along the Lesser Antilles. The ABC islands are in the most part flat, dry , and desert like, so chose your itinerary wisely and don’t assume that all Southern Caribbean destinations are the same.

About the other two options (Eastern and Western), I find that these routes have become too commercialized and Americanized. They provide a watered down and somewhat faked version of what the Caribbean is truly about. Places like Grand Turk, Amber Cove, Labadee, Mahogany Bay, Costa Maya, as well as the many other cruise line built destinations may be nicely developed, but they hardly offer an authentic experience unless you explore well beyond the shore, which many cruisers choose not to do. These destinations feel more like going to the world showcase at EPCOT Center than going to the real thing. For me, they provide a version of the Caribbean which best matches what tourists who’ve never visited the region envision, but not necessarily reality.

And for some reason, it’s hard to find an itinerary that doesn’t stop at either Cozumel (Western) or Nassau (Eastern). While these destinations have their appeal, they are so overrun with tourists that it’s hard to get a true feel for what they are about. On any given day, you may be in port with 5-7 other ships and 20,000 cruise passengers.

With that said, there are ports along both the Eastern and Western routes that I thoroughly enjoy, including Grand Cayman on the Western itinerary and St. Maarten on the Eastern itinerary.

If you’ve never visited the Caribbean, chances are that you’ll have fun no matter which itinerary you select. But do know that it’s a vast region with many different cultures and experiences. So think of what you’d like to see and do before you pick an itinerary. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For starters, San Juan is a fantastic port of embarkation which is an excellent destination in itself. Allow a few days prior to your cruise to explore, specially around Old San Juan.

I’m currently in Puerto Rico for 5 days and it’s wonderful to see that the island is back in business after the hurricanes of 2017. There’s obviously still work to do, but It’s hard to tell what this island went through 6 months ago. The lush green is back, businesses are open again and many new ones have sprouted all over the island.

As someone else mentioned, the Caribbean truly begins south of San Juan. The islands of the Lesser Antilles retain, for the most part, the charm and uniqueness that this region is known for. You’re much less likely to find islands overrun with tourists or which have been overdeveloped to apease American tourists. You will most likely experience a more authentic Caribbean along the Southern Route.

Keep in mind that there are different itineraries labeled as “Southern”. Out of Florida ports, some itineraries that head to Curaçao, Aruba and Bonaire (the ABC islands) are labeled as such. While these islands do offer their own unique experience and are very enjoyable, they are nothing like the more tropical and lush islands along the Lesser Antilles. The ABC islands are in the most part flat, dry , and desert like, so chose your itinerary wisely and don’t assume that all Southern Caribbean destinations are the same.

About the other two options (Eastern and Western), I find that these routes have become too commercialized and Americanized. They provide a watered down and somewhat faked version of what the Caribbean is truly about. Places like Grand Turk, Amber Cove, Labadee, Mahogany Bay, Costa Maya, as well as the many other cruise line built destinations may be nicely developed, but they hardly offer an authentic experience unless you explore well beyond the shore, which many cruisers choose not to do. These destinations feel more like going to the world showcase at EPCOT Center than going to the real thing. For me, they provide a version of the Caribbean which best matches what tourists who’ve never visited the region envision, but not necessarily reality.

And for some reason, it’s hard to find an itinerary that doesn’t stop at either Cozumel (Western) or Nassau (Eastern). While these destinations have their appeal, they are so overrun with tourists that it’s hard to get a true feel for what they are about. On any given day, you may be in port with 5-7 other ships and 20,000 cruise passengers.

With that said, there are ports along both the Eastern and Western routes that I thoroughly enjoy, including Grand Cayman on the Western itinerary and St. Maarten on the Eastern itinerary.

If you’ve never visited the Caribbean, chances are that you’ll have fun no matter which itinerary you select. But do know that it’s a vast region with many different cultures and experiences. So think of what you’d like to see and do before you pick an itinerary. Enjoy!

Wow...thank u for taking the time to provide so much detail!!!! We have been on only 1 cruise and we went to San Juan, St Kitts and St Maarten. I'm afraid I'm not much of a shopper but I love Old San Juan and told hubby I wouldn't mind going back some day. I've never really thought about leaving "from" there and wonder how difficult that would be, as I'm trying to coordinate this with our 2 adult children's and their spouses. Hmmmm.......sounds like I've got a bit more research to do 😉

Thank you again for all ur insight! It made perfect sense!!!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...

I had the same question, as we will only get one shot at a Caribbean cruise for the foreseeable future (coming from Australia)and have been trawling the boards for answers. This answer is the best, most comprehensive, so thank you! The overwhelming consensus is that Southern is the nicest itinerary, and Ididnt realize there are different southern routes. We are looking at the ABC islands after reading these boards and now I'm starting to trust my decision.

...These destinations feel more like going to the world showcase at EPCOT Center than going to the real thing. ...

When we visited Falmouth we referred to the port area as "Disney Jamaica"!

Southern out of San Juan if you can only do 7 days. That was my favorite cruise so far out of only 8. Want to do it again so badly. If you can't swing that I would do eastern over western. I think it depends on what you want out of the cruise also. If you are going to enjoy the ship, do western as not as port intensive and more relaxing in my opinion. If you are going for the ports, then definitely southern then eastern.

Have done Eastern and Western already. Doing a 9 nighter to ABC's in Dec, and by all replies so far it will be the best one yet. Thank you for this response, confirms everything I've researched/heard so far.

Might I ask you for more info about the bolded part above? Which ones? Thanks!!

Have done Eastern and Western already. Doing a 9 nighter to ABC's in Dec, and by all replies so far it will be the best one yet. Thank you for this response, confirms everything I've researched/heard so far.

Might I ask you for more info about the bolded part above? Which ones? Thanks!!

We are doing this 10 day cruise on NCL Dawn in December. Only 2 islands out of the 8 we have ever been to in 30+ cruises. Can't wait!

10-Day Southern Caribbean from San Juan

Day Cruise Ports Arrive Depart

Thu San Juan, Puerto Rico (EMBARK) --- 9:00 pm

Fri At Sea --- ---

Sat St. George's, Grenada 8:00 am 5:00 pm

Sun Bridgetown, Barbados 8:00 am 5:00 pm

Mon Castries, St. Lucia 8:00 am 5:00 pm

Tue Fort-de-France, Martinique 8:00 am 5:00 pm

Wed Roseau, Dominica 8:00 am 5:00 pm

Thu Basseterre, St. Kitts 8:00 am 5:00 pm

Fri St. John's, Antigua 8:00 am 5:00 pm

Sat Tortola, British Virgin Islands 8:00 am 5:00 pm

Sun San Juan, Puerto Rico (DISEMBARK) 5:30 am ---

Bill

Definitely Southern. Our flight out of Dulles (DC) to San Juan wasn't that much more than our flights to Miami and didn't take that much longer either. If you do decide to fly to San Juan, check back here to find out which ship is the favorite. There are several Southern Caribbeans out of San Juan.

The only port that would be considered "southern", I've been to is Cartagena, Columbia. It was VERY hot in December. That being said, Western has been my favorite. I just find that Latin America has a richer culture than the islands of Eastern Caribbean. I will be cruising to the ABC Islands this November, so I may have a different opinion after that. That being said, St. Maarten is one of my favorites at that is clearly Eastern. But after that, Panama and Costa Rica which is clearly Western.

The main reason I don't do the San Juan cruises, is for some reason, San Juan cruises are very busy. They seem to pack way too many ports in their cruises in my opinion. I love the idea of my 9 night on Navigator because its a good 1/2 and 1/2 between sea days and port days.