UBP - Must try cocktail/drink list!

Warm-Water Diver

Some drinks, yes. For frozen drinks (Miami vice, Mango Meltdown, Bushwacker, BBC, etc), any bar that has a ice shaving machine (they are big and black, with a clear lid, if I recall) should be able to make those drinks, even if they aren't on the menu for that particular bar. If the bar doesn't have that machine, they can't make the drink.

For most mixed drinks, look behind the bar to see which liquors they stock. If they have the ingredients for what you want, ask away.

That said, some bars mix certain drinks better than others. Garnishes, for one, may not be the same from bar to bar. If this matters to you, stick with the drinks that are listed on the bar's menu. You may also want to try the same drink at different bars around the ship to see who makes it the best. Our rule of thumb is to look for bars that actually have muddlers. If they do, they are more likely to use fresh lime in their drinks rather than pre-bottled juices. For drinks like Moscow Mules or Dark and Stormys, this makes a huge difference in taste, IMHO.

Specialty drinks, like the mojitos from Sugarcane will only be at one bar and can't be reproduced elsewhere.

Also, some bars will pre-mix certain "high volume" drinks, while others will make all drinks from scratch. I prefer mine made to order, so will seek out bars that don't have huge hugs of cocktails made up.

Thanks very much for the info! I'm hoping to get most drinks from the Haven, but I will be sure to visit some other bars to try some of the specialty drinks. Frozen sweet fruity drinks are my favorite - mango meltdown sounds fantastic!!

Thanks very much for the info! I'm hoping to get most drinks from the Haven, but I will be sure to visit some other bars to try some of the specialty drinks. Frozen sweet fruity drinks are my favorite - mango meltdown sounds fantastic!!

Haven bartenders are the best!

They will make you any drink you can think of or will recommend some you haven't thought of. Mango Meltdowns are one of my favorites:cool:

This thread has been too quiet lately! Preparing for my December cruise, I have done a makeover on Warm-water Diver's spreadsheet (with credit of course) and posted it here

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz4nA7xcrIZaSnk2VV9DbnFjM1U/view?usp=sharing

And attaching it. I have processed all 31 pages of this thread looking for drinks to add, and added a number of classics too. A couple dozen added overall. Fits on 2 pages front/back with shots spilling to a third page... but see the bottom line of page 2 for help there.

Enjoy. I will.

What a wonderful list! Thank you!! I have printed it out and put it with my cruise amenities list. I'm planning on trying some drinks new to me.

• 2 months later...
I'll add something....usually have this as a night cap: French connection: Courvoisier Cognac, Grand Marnier (served in a snifter)

One of my favorites! To take it to the next level, here's a tip I got from a talented, old-school bartender: ask for a "heater" for it. A second glass (a short, old-fashioned glass) with hot water, leaving a little room at top, maybe 2/3 full? If the bartender isn't familiar, I just also ask for a rocks glass of hot water without specifying level, then just pour off any extra into nearby glass discards. This is so it doesn't spill over when you lean the belly of the snifter into the hot water, so the hot water glass is holding the snifter, and heating the contents. The oils release, it's extra fragrant. Perfect winter nightcap.

Edited by QJKM
Clarity

• 1 month later...
What a wonderful list! Thank you!! I have printed it out and put it with my cruise amenities list. I'm planning on trying some drinks new to me.

Me too! I will have to do an awful lot of drinking to get in all the ones I want to try[emoji6]. Thanks PelicanBill.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I might have to try that Pain Killer. I am not much of a drinker (don't like to taste the alcohol), usually going for frozen drinks like the BBC, Twilight Zone or Miami Vice. Since we have the UBP on our next cruise, I figure this is the perfect opportunity to try something new. And since I may drink more than my usual 5 drinks per cruise, I don't want the calories of all those frozen drinks. I love fruity drinks and love, love coconut so the Pain Killer sounds like something I might like. I would love any other suggestions.

What is the BBC,Twilight Zone, and Miami Vice consist of?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This thread (or at least the spreadsheet) should, without a doubt, be pinned. Flying to Barcelona tomorrow morning to pick up the Spirit on the 4th.

So pleased to have spotted this thread (and saved the spreadsheet to my phone and printed off).

Thank you for the hard work in compiling the list. I can't wait.

Cheers. Literally.

M.

What is the BBC,Twilight Zone, and Miami Vice consist of?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

A BBC consists of Bailey's Irish Cream, Banana and Colada. A Miami Vice consists of 50% Strawberry Daiquiri and 50% Pina Colada. A Twilight Zone has different ingredients depending upon who makes it, but the one I am familiar with has light, dark and 151 rum with pineapple juice, orange juice and grenadine. The Miami Vice and BBC are usually frozen, while the Twilight Zone could be frozen or on the rocks.

This thread (or at least the spreadsheet) should, without a doubt, be pinned. Flying to Barcelona tomorrow morning to pick up the Spirit on the 4th.

So pleased to have spotted this thread (and saved the spreadsheet to my phone and printed off).

Thank you for the hard work in compiling the list. I can't wait.

Cheers. Literally.

M.

Can someone please tell me where the spreadsheet is located in the thread?

It may already be covered in this thread but do we pay VAT taxes on beverages while docked in any the Caribbean islands. I know we pay in the states and Bahamas but wanted to know about Barbados, St. Kitts, Antigua, St. Croix and St. Lucia. Thank you.

This thread has been too quiet lately! Preparing for my December cruise, I have done a makeover on Warm-water Diver's spreadsheet (with credit of course) and posted it here

And attaching it. I have processed all 31 pages of this thread looking for drinks to add, and added a number of classics too. A couple dozen added overall. Fits on 2 pages front/back with shots spilling to a third page... but see the bottom line of page 2 for help there.

Enjoy. I will.

OMG - I LOVE this...I just printed to take home so DH and I can figure out what we want to try...We sail 3/23/18 on the Jade...

Enjoy. I will.

Pelican Bill, muchos Gracias for adding the cocktails/drinks to my original list whilst I was away! Nice job. You definitely have to print this list front/back to keep it small enough and handy enough to tote about the ship visiting the various bars/pubs :)

Edited by Warm-Water Diver
edit

Are these drinks ALL includ Ed d under the UBP? I thought any drink over $10 wasn't included and some of these sou b d expensive.

The limit is $15. And you can still get drinks over 15 you just have to pay the difference, i e $18 drink you would pay $3.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

The limit is $15. And you can still get drinks over 15 you just have to pay the difference, i e $18 drink you would pay $3.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

Correct! All drinks $15 and under are included and as stated you just pay any difference over that $15 limit.

I didn't pay out of pocket for 1 drink on my original list. I know that for fact that the Rum Cake is now $18 but the wife didn't care for one this past cruise so no additional charges for us! :)

Edited by Warm-Water Diver
Adding limit

Pelican Bill, muchos Gracias for adding the cocktails/drinks to my original list whilst I was away! Nice job. You definitely have to print this list front/back to keep it small enough and handy enough to tote about the ship visiting the various bars/pubs :)

Based on ingredient list I know that there are some we would never try, so will make a smaller list for us to carry around. We always like to try "new" drinks on our cruises. We both have our "go to" drinks, but in glancing through really quick, I saw several I WOULD try....

Hurry up 77 days...

Based on ingredient list I know that there are some we would never try, so will make a smaller list for us to carry around. We always like to try "new" drinks on our cruises. We both have our "go to" drinks, but in glancing through really quick, I saw several I WOULD try....

Hurry up 77 days...

Take a peek at my older list with my recent favorites (from October '17 Escape cruise) highlighted in green. These are cocktails that either my wife or I sampled our last cruise and agreed would make the top "FAVE" list :)

NCL UBP FAV DRINKS.xls

Take a peek at my older list with my recent favorites (from October '17 Escape cruise) highlighted in green. These are cocktails that either my wife or I sampled our last cruise and agreed would make the top "FAVE" list :)

Wow that list is awesome.