2 Princess Cruises (Royal & Regal) at the same time - Port Everglades

Yurita

Leaving on November 6. Just realized the 2 biggest Princess cruiseships (Royal & Regal) will be at Port Everglades together.

Has anyone had any experience regarding the boarding process with both ships docked at the same time? which terminal do they use, etc.

Boarding the Royal Princess last year was a loooooong process, so I'm wondering how would it be with 2 Princess cruises at the same time. :confused:

Terminal 2, and probably 21.

Port Everglades handles 6-9 ships every Saturday and Sunday during the "cruise season". 50K people transiting. Regal/Royal aren't even the biggest ships there (Oasis/Allure). They are very good at it.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Pier assignments will be posted on the Port Everglades website 7 days before sailing. The ships will be at different piers with different check in areas. The fact that 2 Princess ships will be in port the same day will not make boarding any one of the ships slower or quicker.

Port Everglades on the weekend will have 6 or more ships in port. Each will have their own terminal. Princess usually uses terminal 2 and 21 which are opposite ends of the port. We have sailed out of both terminals. I think that every time we have sailed out on the weekend one of the gargantuan of the seas (oasis/allure) have been in port to board their 6000+ pax! Luckily the port is large but still there is a lot of traffic. In the afternoon there will be a procession of ships leaving the port to go to sea and is fun to watch.

When we sailed on the Royal the new Disney ship was leaving right behind us. The two of them got into a duel with the Royal playing the Love Boat theme and Disney playing their theme. They did it twice to the great amusement of both ship's pax and people on shore watching the procession of ships leaving port.

Terminal 2, and probably 21.....

This has been the case in every situation when they were both in on the same day, with Regal Princess at Terminal 2 and Royal Princess at Terminal 21.

https://res-1.cloudinary.com/simpleview/image/upload/v1/clients/porteverglades/Port_Facilties_Map_UPDATED_August_5_2016_967fef41-99cb-400e-a99b-a0bbb8b935be.pdf

Here's a picture I took when there were eight ships in Port Everglades (there's one hiding behind Coral Princess)...

8305253443_df2bd47f7f_b_d.jpg

:D

Look at those beauties. That's is great picture Dave. :)

Thanks Jan!

I do love a bit of shipspotting! I can remember taking vacations to NYC and Miami "back in the day" (this would have been late 70's through the 80's) based off of Sea Classics magazine quarterly issues on when the most ships would be in port. It's always been a passion of mine since I was a kid.

Thanks Jan!

I do love a bit of shipspotting! I can remember taking vacations to NYC and Miami "back in the day" (this would have been late 70's through the 80's) based off of Sea Classics magazine quarterly issues on when the most ships would be in port. It's always been a passion of mine since I was a kid.

Well you take great shots. :)

We just did the BVE on Regal in Brooklyn with another couple. What a beautiful ship! And lunch in Concerto was excellent too. They told us that they had sailed on both Royal and Regal back in the day [they meant the original Royal and the original Regal :)] On the second cruise, both ships were in port and one of their suitcases went to the other ship :eek:

We have had one occasion where we had Princess ships at the number 2 & 3 docks. Not sure they can do that with two Royal class ships.

We always have a concern when we sail out Port Everglades and have driven there, that we leave from one pier location and return to another. It makes a logistic problem for parking at the port, which we always prefer. Calling the HM a couple of days before gives us the pier locations for the ship so we tend to park at the returning location after dropping off the luggage and then hopefully find a shuttle or cab to take us the embarkation dock.

We have had one occasion where we had Princess ships at the number 2 & 3 docks. Not sure they can do that with two Royal class ships.

We always have a concern when we sail out Port Everglades and have driven there, that we leave from one pier location and return to another. It makes a logistic problem for parking at the port, which we always prefer. Calling the HM a couple of days before gives us the pier locations for the ship so we tend to park at the returning location after dropping off the luggage and then hopefully find a shuttle or cab to take us the embarkation dock.

When there is a Royal-class at Terminal 2 and another Princess Cruises ship at Terminal 4, it's always been one of the Coral/Island-class ships or smaller. Having watched the webcams for years I've also seen ships from Carnival Cruise Lines, Holland-America, Celebrity Cruises Millennium-class, and those of MSC among others will dock at Terminal 4 as well on occasion.

Royal Princess appears to always use Terminal 21 if and when she is departing/returning on days when Regal Princess won't be in port. It seems that the seven-day rotation has priority of docking at Terminal 2 over the 10/20-day cruise.

Here's a Cruise Critic picture showing two Princess Cruises ships at Terminals 2/4:

ftlauderdale_portessentials.jpg

dmwnc1959 When there is a Royal-class at Terminal 2 and another Princess Cruises ship at Terminal 4, it's always been one of the Coral/Island-class ships or smaller. Having watched the webcams for years I've also seen ships from Carnival Cruise Lines, Holland-America, Celebrity Cruises Millennium-class, and those of MSC among others will dock at Terminal 4 as well on occasion. Royal Princess appears to always use Terminal 21 if and when she is departing/returning on days when Regal Princess won't be in port. It seems that the seven-day rotation has priority of docking at Terminal 2 over the 10/20-day cruise.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This February (2016) B2B - we disembarked Royal at terminal 2 and then boarded Emerald Princess at terminal 4 just across the way - a quick & easy debark/embark process - so at times the ship/terminal locations do differ - but agree usually #2 & #21

This has been the case in every situation when they were both in on the same day, with Regal Princess at Terminal 2 and Royal Princess at Terminal 21.

https://res-1.cloudinary.com/simpleview/image/upload/v1/clients/porteverglades/Port_Facilties_Map_UPDATED_August_5_2016_967fef41-99cb-400e-a99b-a0bbb8b935be.pdf

Here's a picture I took when there were eight ships in Port Everglades (there's one hiding behind Coral Princess)...

Great shot Dave.

Terminal 2, and probably 21.

Port Everglades handles 6-9 ships every Saturday and Sunday during the "cruise season". 50K people transiting. Regal/Royal aren't even the biggest ships there (Oasis/Allure). They are very good at it.

We'll have Harmony of the seas there with us. :) It will be fun to see that tiny ship.

Nice pic. As far as I know at this time (we will be at sea 7 days prior to our arrival at FLL - so I guess we will be surprised) we will have Royal Princess, Freedom of the Seas and Harmony of the seas with our smaller Island Princess.

Does anyone know if there is a larger and smaller ship at FLL for Princess at the same time, which one goes out to 21?

This February (2016) B2B - we disembarked Royal at terminal 2 and then boarded Emerald Princess at terminal 4 just across the way - a quick & easy debark/embark process - so at times the ship/terminal locations do differ - but agree usually #2 & #21

The terminal locations for the Royal-class will differ, and the ships at Terminal 4 will change, but what will not change is this: a Royal-class will not dock at Terminal 2 and Terminal 4 at the same time; and Royal Princess will only ever dock at Terminal 2 if she is expected to return there, i.e. Regal Princess is not due in at Port Everglades upon Royal Princess' scheduled return date.

We'll have Harmony of the seas there with us. :) It will be fun to see that tiny ship.

My 14-night back-to-back the year prior to the two weeks I spent on Royal Princess was on Allure of the Seas followed by Ruby Princess. Can you imagine going from one to the other?

:eek:

Leaving on November 6. Just realized the 2 biggest Princess cruiseships (Royal & Regal) will be at Port Everglades together.

Has anyone had any experience regarding the boarding process with both ships docked at the same time? which terminal do they use, etc.

Boarding the Royal Princess last year was a loooooong process, so I'm wondering how would it be with 2 Princess cruises at the same time. :confused:

We sailed on "Royal" this past February. They delayed our boarding by up to 90 minutes because of delays disembarking passengers from the previous cruise. The line stretched out the terminal building for about 100 yards. Don't know how Princess will be able to handle two similar sized ships. Good luck!!!icon10.gif

Oh be still my heart. Love this photo. :)

We sailed on "Royal" this past February. They delayed our boarding by up to 90 minutes because of delays disembarking passengers from the previous cruise. The line stretched out the terminal building for about 100 yards. Don't know how Princess will be able to handle two similar sized ships. Good luck!!!icon10.gif

Different terminals which are not close to one another. Any lines at one will not affect any lines at the other.

Edited by caribill