Another Increase in Gratuities.

Okay, being a "Yank", I fully understand and "know" the principal, history, and economics behind tipping for certain employment (service) sectors in the U.S. vs. other countries/regions (Europe, Australia, etc.). Over centuries, countries have evolved along different paths and what they individually "do" seems to work okay. But cruising is an "international business".

My question is.....We are always being assured that all the gratuities collected go to the crew. So if that's the case, during a promotion like that quoted above, where gratuities are "free", (i.e., the extra charge is not applied to cruiser's accounts and that extra money is not being collected for redistribution to the crew), would this actually lead anyone to believe that the service staff on those particular ships/cruises are going to experience a "decrease in their normal total compensation" for that cruise? Would that not be a be a logical conclusion? But we instinctively "know" that this probably won't really be the case.

So....If their "normal" total compensation does not change from what, for them, would be their "normal" total pay (even if cruisers are not contributing to a "gratuity pot"), does that mean that RCI is somehow otherwise "making up the pay difference" to all those employee's through separate/alternative corporate funding, instead? Even if added gratuities are not being collected for these promotional cruises, it's hard for me to believe that the service staff is going to have to take a "pay cut" on these ships during the times of this promotional offer.

So...If RCI can "do it" for this particular cruise or ship, why don't they do it for all cruises? Completely drop the extra and separately billed (gratuity) charge altogether - since it is so divisive, misunderstood, causes so much controversy among international passengers, and is unevenly collected (since it can be "opted out of at will" by any passenger who chooses to). The extra amount needed to pay total crew wages should just be "built into" the base fares that would be charged on all cruises, just like what's already done on "all-inclusive" lines (like Regent)?

Most people (except for the cheapskates who don't pay the extra grat now) would not see an increase in the "total cost of their cruise". Initially, cruise fares would look like they had gone up a bit. But once customers realize that they are not going to get "hit up" for an extra gratuity charge (like is the case now), things would quickly "settle out", and everyone would get used to it. Particularly when they realized that they weren't going to have to plan for that "extra charge" added to their bill at the end of the cruise. If what once was an "extra charge" (grats) was made a part of the base fare, there would also no longer be an opportunity (the "opt-out") for some cruisers to escape paying for what the rest of us see as a normal expense to cruising. Thoughts?

Booked 10 night canary islands for may 2019, £699 each 2 months ago, last week £2,050 each with FREE grats,FREE drinks and FREE wi fi.Sorry that is on Explorer

Thanks for the tip, I did not know gratuities increased. I think cruise lines should just include the gratuities in the base fare.

Agreed, but we'd then complain about gratuities being a "hidden" fee or similar.

No such thing as Free Grats:D

If all prices are equal between cruise line and TA and the TA throws in pre paid grats then they are free. Sad story but true. Two years ago we did a family cruise and our son who is a avid fan of controlling his booking used the cruise line website to book his cruise. We had same category cabins close to each other. We both paid the same cabin price and he got a $50.00 OBC. Our online TA gave us pre paid gratuities, matching OBC, and specialty dinning for two in addition to $350 balcony discount.. After telling him time after time to switch he finally called the TA. Unfortunately he called on day 63. As usual he only learns the hard way. Our other son who always looks for a discount asked us to put him in our room and my wife in his room so that both cabins got the C&A discount. Point of the story is sometimes free is free.

Okay, being a "Yank", I fully understand and "know" the principal, history, and economics behind tipping for certain employment (service) sectors in the U.S. vs. other countries/regions (Europe, Australia, etc.). Over centuries, countries have evolved along different paths and what they individually "do" seems to work okay. But cruising is an "international business".

My question is.....We are always being assured that all the gratuities collected go to the crew. So if that's the case, during a promotion like that quoted above, where gratuities are "free", (i.e., the extra charge is not applied to cruiser's accounts and that extra money is not being collected for redistribution to the crew), would this actually lead anyone to believe that the service staff on those particular ships/cruises are going to experience a "decrease in their normal total compensation" for that cruise? Would that not be a be a logical conclusion? But we instinctively "know" that this probably won't really be the case.

So....If their "normal" total compensation does not change from what, for them, would be their "normal" total pay (even if cruisers are not contributing to a "gratuity pot"), does that mean that RCI is somehow otherwise "making up the pay difference" to all those employee's through separate/alternative corporate funding, instead? Even if added gratuities are not being collected for these promotional cruises, it's hard for me to believe that the service staff is going to have to take a "pay cut" on these ships during the times of this promotional offer.

So...If RCI can "do it" for this particular cruise or ship, why don't they do it for all cruises? Completely drop the extra and separately billed (gratuity) charge altogether - since it is so divisive, misunderstood, causes so much controversy among international passengers, and is unevenly collected (since it can be "opted out of at will" by any passenger who chooses to). The extra amount needed to pay total crew wages should just be "built into" the base fares that would be charged on all cruises, just like what's already done on "all-inclusive" lines (like Regent)?

Most people (except for the cheapskates who don't pay the extra grat now) would not see an increase in the "total cost of their cruise". Initially, cruise fares would look like they had gone up a bit. But once customers realize that they are not going to get "hit up" for an extra gratuity charge (like is the case now), things would quickly "settle out", and everyone would get used to it. Particularly when they realized that they weren't going to have to plan for that "extra charge" added to their bill at the end of the cruise. If what once was an "extra charge" (grats) was made a part of the base fare, there would also no longer be an opportunity (the "opt-out") for some cruisers to escape paying for what the rest of us see as a normal expense to cruising. Thoughts?

Never going to happen!

First the "tip-pot" is not per cruise - but a monthly bonus that RCI distributes the way they want - to whom they feel they want to give the money to.

They guarantee a minimum bonus in the crew contract.

RCI is making a TON of money on the current grat system because 2 out of 100 pax opt out - but 50 out of 100 overtip by a large margin ....they will not risk that working system by changig it and having the pax as a total tip less than today...

Botom line - they do not care about the few that do not tip - it is all calculated in the formular....else they just raise the grats a bit....;p

Outside of a TA giving free grats (which is just instead of other bonuses you can get from other TA's), anytime you see a free grats promo, you will normally just pay the higher price for that to get the free grats, sort of like the "free" drinks packages that happen frequently out of the UK - the price of the cruise simply goes up to cover the additional cost, now making the package required for anybody booking the cruise.

If all prices are equal between cruise line and TA and the TA throws in pre paid grats then they are free. Sad story but true. Two years ago we did a family cruise and our son who is a avid fan of controlling his booking used the cruise line website to book his cruise. We had same category cabins close to each other. We both paid the same cabin price and he got a $50.00 OBC. Our online TA gave us pre paid gratuities, matching OBC, and specialty dinning for two in addition to $350 balcony discount.. After telling him time after time to switch he finally called the TA. Unfortunately he called on day 63. As usual he only learns the hard way. Our other son who always looks for a discount asked us to put him in our room and my wife in his room so that both cabins got the C&A discount. Point of the story is sometimes free is free.

Somewhat similar situation for our Easter 2020 cruise. Family cruise initially comprised of 3 CP balconies on Harmony. The price for a quad was some $100+ than 2 balconies. I reserved 2 adjoining and placed one child with the father and the other with the mother. In addition, got an addition $100 per cabin for a non refundable and the neighborhood promo. Also, got free grats for 2 in each cabin from my TA. Yes, sometimes free is free.:D

Edited by nelblu
clarification

Somewhat similar situation for our Easter 2020 cruise. Family cruise initially comprised of 3 CP balconies on Harmony. The price for a quad was some $100+ than 2 balconies. I reserved 2 adjoining and placed one child with the father and the other with the mother. In addition, got an addition $100 per cabin for a non refundable and the neighborhood promo. Also, got free grats for 2 in each cabin from my TA. Yes, sometimes free is free.:D

RCL is running a special for any Oasis class booking in 2018 with free grats. Booked mine a few months ago for Harmony sail in 2020 and got free grats from my TA. In addition, $100 in obcs for a non refundable fare and the neighborhood promo.

So it't NOT a RCL free grats promo like you had first posted. You are getting free grats from a TA

So it't NOT a RCL free grats promo like you had first posted. You are getting free grats from a TA

My Harmony booking occurred on April 10th. Received e-mail from RCL with the recent promo.

Also, received e-mail from Celebrity announcing their promo of up to 4 bonuses, depending on cabin type. The promos were: Free grats for 2, classic beverage package for 2 , internet for 2 and $150 in obcs. This promo expires on June 4.

JS not a Full Suite, so regular tips.

Ah! Got it. Thanks

Ours grats are $3657.50 but that is for 3 in a GS for 7 days so I guess that was where my mind was (thinking I WISH it was only $203 for us..LOL)

Ah! Got it. Thanks

Ours grats are $3657.50 but that is for 3 in a GS for 7 days so I guess that was where my mind was (thinking I WISH it was only $203 for us..LOL)

$17.50 x 7 x 3 = $367.50

Lucky for you that RC didn't misplace that number and decimal point! :eek::eek::eek:

A lot of us have seen guests removing tips at guest services and we probably know lots of guests who remove tips.

Pete

How is it in 28 years of sailing Royal I have never seen this actually happen. It's impossible for me to know why anyone else is at Guest Services. How have you figured it out?

How is it in 28 years of sailing Royal I have never seen this actually happen. It's impossible for me to know why anyone else is at Guest Services. How have you figured it out?

Some people are just very loud, I guess?

Whilst B2B on the Navigator recently my luggage got 'lost' as I was moving stateroom. Whilst standing at guest services waiting for my problem to be resolved, 3 guests, one after another, were at guest services asking to remove the gratuities. This was boarding day around 2.15pm.

Later in the cruise whilst waiting in the queue at guest services, a member of staff was asking guests in the queue if they could help. Guests in front of me wanted gratuities removing and were advised to wait for someone at the desk.

Pete.