Taking alcohol on board

Host Sharon

The prices of drinks on P&O compared to RC are very reasonable and i never bring any alcohol on board P&O because they sell Old Speckled Hen bottles on board.

I agree that P&O UK drink prices are good, compared to those on the American ships, Princess, Celebrity etc. Plus one can buy a reasonably priced bottle of spirits for medicinal purposes.:halo: All we bring on board any ship is a few bottles of wine.:halo:Again for medicinal purposes.

What may happen though is once alcohol is limited in line with the other cruise lines drink prices onboard will also rise and be in line with the others. At the minute prices have to be competitive as P&O know many passengers have their own supply in the cabin. Have known passengers during a meal to return to their cabin for top ups of wine. However I doubt they will do a good job of policing their new policy but in general the majority will abide by the rules, while others will endeavour to find new ways to get their supply smuggled onboard.

What may happen though is once alcohol is limited in line with the other cruise lines drink prices onboard will also rise and be in line with the others. At the minute prices have to be competitive as P&O know many passengers have their own supply in the cabin. Have known passengers during a meal to return to their cabin for top ups of wine. However I doubt they will do a good job of policing their new policy but in general the majority will abide by the rules, while others will endeavour to find new ways to get their supply smuggled onboard.

It beggars believe that someone who has paid out to go on a cruise would then stoop so low as to return to their cabin ,during a meal to get a top up of their wine .

It is these sort of characters that have led to the tightening up, and as you say it will be these sort of characters who will eventually lead pando to stop anyone bringing drinks on board.

I would like someone to explain to me why they think it is right to do this sort of thing ( go against the alcohol rules). If you cannot afford to go on the cruise and take drinks, so you do not have to purchase drink on board then surely that type of holiday is outside your price bracket. Not you lie and cheat so it is.

It beggars believe that someone who has paid out to go on a cruise would then stoop so low as to return to their cabin ,during a meal to get a top up of their wine .

It is these sort of characters that have led to the tightening up, and as you say it will be these sort of characters who will eventually lead pando to stop anyone bringing drinks on board.

I would like someone to explain to me why they think it is right to do this sort of thing ( go against the alcohol rules). If you cannot afford to go on the cruise and take drinks, so you do not have to purchase drink on board then surely that type of holiday is outside your price bracket. Not you lie and cheat so it is.

Another point is these sometimes inebriated people are carrying drinks in the lifts and the risk of nice people having drinks spilled onto them by these tightwads is high.

Is this another 'urban myth'. In all my time cruising I have never come across people who, during a meal, return to their cabin for top-ups. That doesn't mean that it doesn't happen, but considering the distance they may have to walk, does seem to make it unlikely.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What may happen though is once alcohol is limited in line with the other cruise lines drink prices onboard will also rise and be in line with the others. At the minute prices have to be competitive as P&O know many passengers have their own supply in the cabin. ....

It may well be that prices rise a little but I don't think it will be significant. Unless things have changed in the USA since I was last there, alcohol prices are much higher than in the UK, so American cruisers are already used to higher prices. Lower drink prices and gratuities are one of P&O's USPs.

Another point is these sometimes inebriated people are carrying drinks in the lifts and the risk of nice people having drinks spilled onto them by these tightwads is high.

It is also a risk that inebriated people who have bought drinks from the bar will take them back to their cabins as a night cap and spill their drinks on others in the lift. I use some sense and don't get in lifts with drunk people, wait for the next one.

Not seen people going back to cabins, but have seen many hip flasks being used to top up.

And to the op who said that if they have to do that they cannot afford to cruise, it may be that this enables them to have a drink on holiday when things are tight, but more likely just mean and rejoice at defeating the system. I have said that with cruises that have no alcohol allowed on board, very, very expensive drinks and drinks packages, I have taken some brandy flavoured mouthwash for cabin consumption. But pando seem very reasonable AFTER this change to me.

It is also a risk that inebriated people who have bought drinks from the bar will take them back to their cabins as a night cap and spill their drinks on others in the lift. I use some sense and don't get in lifts with drunk people, wait for the next one.

Not seen people going back to cabins, but have seen many hip flasks being used to top up.

And to the op who said that if they have to do that they cannot afford to cruise, it may be that this enables them to have a drink on holiday when things are tight, but more likely just mean and rejoice at defeating the system. I have said that with cruises that have no alcohol allowed on board, very, very expensive drinks and drinks packages, I have taken some brandy flavoured mouthwash for cabin consumption. But pando seem very reasonable AFTER this change to me.

Often you are in the lifts when these people get in with their drinks.

The only time i bring any alcohol on board is a 6 pack of stronger 5.4% San Miguel Especial from a Spanish port.

I'm not sure it has all that much to do with how well off people are. Probably just a "tight-fistedness" issue.

Some of the most tight fisted people I know are quite well off.

Lots of people do things that perhaps they should not. I am not so ardent. I do not expect or want an explanation from them. I know I am am not perfect and would not want to have to justify all my own failings.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by stephen@stoneyard.co.uk

I'm not sure it has all that much to do with how well off people are. Probably just a "tight-fistedness" issue.

Some of the most tight fisted people I know are quite well off.

That’s why they are well off.

:). :). :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Alcohol content is not the issue it is the amount and that is why P&O have bought in this policy.

P & O have brought it in to make you buy all drinks onboard it’s quite simple. If I want a drink in my cabin now it will cost significantly more than it would have due to the restrictions. Also to encourage people to buy from the minibar as well. It will significantly increase profits.

To me the amount has got nothing to do with it. I don’t smuggle it out or bend the rules I simply drink it in my cabin.

I’m far from tight fisted, quite the opposite, but if I can comfortably carry it onboard then why should I pay significantly more?

I didn’t throw any clothes out as suggested, we had a case with other bits in and I put it in there. My wife would throw me out first!

As has already been said, someone can bring 1 bottle of spirits on and have a drink every night as I don’t drink anything but lager I can’t. The price difference between spirits is negligible, lager is extortionate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The P&O Booze smugglers will be reading the Australian/NZ section of CC to get the advice they need. Some of the Aussies cruisers are experts.

The P&O Booze smugglers will be reading the Australian/NZ section of CC to get the advice they need. Some of the Aussies cruisers are experts.

There are a good few experts in other countrys too. For some light amusement search the phrase "rum runners" and see all the things that people get up to.

I said on a thread on here a good few months ago that there would be a new variety of people watching if alcohol was restricted on P&O, so here it comes folks. Hover around the security area to see the faces of those who smuggle and get caught and many, many people do get caught at it on US ships (perhaps they need to take advice from the Aussies :) )

To add to threads on tips, dress codes etc booze smuggling 101 (for those who are so inclined). Variety is the spice of life as they say.

There are a good few experts in other countrys too. For some light amusement search the phrase "rum runners" and see all the things that people get up to.

I said on a thread on here a good few months ago that there would be a new variety of people watching if alcohol was restricted on P&O, so here it comes folks. Hover around the security area to see the faces of those who smuggle and get caught and many, many people do get caught at it on US ships (perhaps they need to take advice from the Aussies :) )

To add to threads on tips, dress codes etc booze smuggling 101 (for those who are so inclined). Variety is the spice of life as they say.

This has to be the best one ever

https://www.amazon.com/The-WineRack-200-008-Wine-Medium/dp/B001FYZZI2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1279567068&sr=8-1

Really? Now that's desperate.

I have seen a number of people coming back on board with "binoculars", they look authentic however if I know about them then obviously security will.

I'm pleased alcohol means so little to us but marvel at some of these rum runners.