Formal Dress night on board the Silhouette

cavdad78

The exact night varies depending on the cruise. If you post your itinerary, someone may be able to give you a better idea. They do not have Formal Nights anymore but there is Evening Chic night when people dress up more. You're also welcome to wear formal wear anytime you want. There are endless dress code threads on Cruise Critic, but it's also spelled out on Celebrity's website.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/company/customer-support/help-and-faqs/during-your-cruise/onboard-dress-code

• 3 weeks later...
Is wearing a formal uniform custom on these Evening Chic nights? Just booked our first cruise and wondering if that's something I should bring along?

Welcome to CC. If you want to wear it, go for it. The choice is yours. Enjoy your first cruise. FYI, the following blurb is from Celebrity's website.

"Formal Night gets a modern luxury reboot. Say goodbye to Formal Night, and hello to Evening Chic. It’s your time to shine—your way. Get glamorous. Get chic. Be sophisticated. Now, on up to two nights on every cruise, Evening Chic activities have been introduced, and Evening Chic attire has replaced Formal attire. While dressier than Smart Casual, Evening Chic is intended to be less dressy than Formal attire.

Evening Chic means that you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should."

Edited by davekathy

Is wearing a formal uniform custom on these Evening Chic nights? Just booked our first cruise and wondering if that's something I should bring along?

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I'm assuming from your question you're referring to a formal military uniform? Cruise Critic has a forum for military cruisers, and uniform wear appears there periodically. I've seen it a number of times, never took mine on a cruise. Just always seemed like too much stuff to cart along for an evening. If you're active duty, that's largely a question of Service regulations and force protection restrictions for international travel. If you're not US military, it's definitely a question of national uniform and force protection regulations.

If you're talking a formal police, fire, or similar uniform, I've not really seen those on board, but would think it would be fine, again, depending on any wear regulations.

It very much depends on the cruise. Earlier this month, 14 night cruise on Eclipse, there were many tuxedos, two men in kilts, lots of dark suits, totaling over 50% of the men I saw. On that cruise there almost no sport coats. Probably less than 20% in long-sleeves dress shirts, with and without ties. This in fairly typical of the two-week itineraries in the Caribbean in the winter.

Alaska cruises are quite different. Shorter itineraries, fewer tuxedos.

It very much depends on the cruise. Earlier this month, 14 night cruise on Eclipse, there were many tuxedos, two men in kilts, lots of dark suits, totaling over 50% of the men I saw. On that cruise there almost no sport coats. Probably less than 20% in long-sleeves dress shirts, with and without ties. This in fairly typical of the two-week itineraries in the Caribbean in the winter.

Alaska cruises are quite different. Shorter itineraries, fewer tuxedos.

We just got off of Reflection last week, an 11 night Caribbean. I say exactly 2 tuxedos, one of which was the tuxedo jacket only and was worn by the CD! I saw no gowns, but many women wore cocktail attire or dressy pants with sparkly tops. About half the men wore sport jackets, (ties, no ties about evenly split). The last three lengthy Caribbean cruises we've done have been decidedly more casual than the old days of formal nights.

Is there still a particular night or two,where it is still a formal night, by choice of course?

It's now called "Chic Night". If our Jan.2017 cruise on the Eclipse was any indication.. Pax really went all out. This is a 14 day itinerary, so it averages somewhat older. We've done 3(2014/2015/2017)the one this past Jan. pax by far dressed up more. We thought we were back on Cunard. We did notice that the third Chic night was the dressiest. Most pax stayed dressed up & did not dress down after dinner. It's only Chic in the MDR the rest of the ship I smart casual. You know..Decent slacks, collared shirt nice shoes.

...the rest of the ship I smart casual. You know..Decent slacks, collared shirt nice shoes.

And the smart casual is only a suggested evening dress guideline for the theater all evenings that is never ever enforced.

Edited by davekathy