Clarification required: Champagne with Premium DP Celebrity Silhouette - Yea or Nay?

Bozzie67

Trolling up and down the forum but I can seem to find a definitive answer! My question is this... Is champagne available at most Celebrity (Silhouette) Bars and doe it come included by the glass in the Premium Drinks Package? I am aware of the $ cap per drink, but does this allowance fully cover Champagne or will Mrs B have to change to a Cava or Prosecco?

The private label isn't champagne it is a sparkling wine. Unless it comes from the Champagne region of France it can't be called Champagne. Most of what we call champagne, eg Chandon which is bottled in California, is sparkling wine.

There are true Champagnes available but they are priced above the beverage packages. Perrier-Jouet & Tattinger are 2 that come to mind.

Thank you Champagne Cruiser. I take it these are true Champagnes. IE French?’ It’s just I do not recognise the names and they do not sound French I suppose apart from Chandon which in the UK we refer to as Moët!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This thread make me recall my only NCL cruise. I went with my brother for a quiet drink in the Champagne Bar but the bartender refused to sell me a glass of Champagne because he did not have one open. This have never happened to me on a Celebrity ship where hey often open a new bottle just because the one they have has been openned too long.

Didn't see any Champagne appelation controlée listed in any drinks package menus (not that I bought any drinks on a 15 nt cruise). The private label stuff is a Loire valley "champagne method" brew. Probably can be had for <$5 a bottle wholesale. Noticed one in the corridor as we were disembarking and liberated it. Tasted o.k., but sweet but better than Costco's private label real Champagne (($28/bottle in WA state a few years ago). I think Celebrity (and also Princess) both may serve a nasty but real Champagne called Pol something (not Pol Roger). Seen it at the art shows so maybe that is a Park West offering. Had much better (real) stuff for €10 a bottle at Lidls in France.

As for Domaine Chandon, they make the stuff in Napa Valley, Yarra Valley (Australia), Argentina (or is it Chile?) and I believe China. Yes, all owned by Möet & Chandon.

Just got off of the Equinox and some nights I drank Chandon, but the sommelier recommended a real champagne which was on the premium package. Can't remember the name but it started with an M and had a red label. It was delish!

The champagne I had is called Montaudon. It is on the premium package

$35 a bottle give or take. Its pretty good stuff. Pretty much no wines on the "premium" alcohol package cost anywhere near $35 a bottle.

If that's the price, it's a steal for restaurant pricing! The basic Brut is $35/bottle retail; their "good stuff" is closer to $60/bottle, retail.

• 4 weeks later...

I am sorry, but I recall working for The Wine Spectrum a division of the Coca Cola company ... only lasted a few years... I was actually the product manager on Great Western Champagne.... yes we called it Champagne. Apparently the US never signed whatever agreement that required countries to recognize that Champagne could only come from the Champagne region of France. Anyway, after our division was sold off the Seagrams we decided one afternoon during the transition period (none of us were planning on moving to NYC), to do a taste testing of our Naturel brand... which was produced using the methode champenoise... process (fermented in the original bottle)... compared to the real thing and California sparklings. Honestly we preferred the fake champagnes... the real ones had too much of a yeasty quality. Now it could be that we consumed far too much of each one to be able to evaluate properly and well we did consume quite a bit (no spitting out on this tasting)....but it was one fun afternoon I will tell you that.

I am sorry, but I recall working for The Wine Spectrum a division of the Coca Cola company ... only lasted a few years... I was actually the product manager on Great Western Champagne.... yes we called it Champagne. Apparently the US never signed whatever agreement that required countries to recognize that Champagne could only come from the Champagne region of France.

The Treaty of Versailles. You signed it but never ratified it. Back then the French didn't really care as Prohibition was going to curtail any US Sparkling making anyway. I think you guys finally agreed to it in 2005.