Passport: Do you carry off ship or leave in cabin?

Janie1229

Always take it with me.

Identity theft is rampant on cruise ships

How is your identity going to be stolen is your passport is in your safe? Are you that paranoid that you suspect the crew will go into your safe and copy your identity information for nefarious reasons? :confused:

and you never know when you might need it.

I have traveled all over the world for decades and have never needed my passport unless it was required. I have never been randomly stopped and asked to "show my papers".

Funny how people stash it away like some kind of sacred object.

I don't "stash it away like some kind of sacred object". I protect it like a valuable resource.

Do you leave your house without the front door key too?

Not even remotely similar. :rolleyes:

Edited by sloopsailor

Always take it with me.

Identity theft is rampant on cruise ships and you never know when you might need it.

Funny how people stash it away like some kind of sacred object. Do you leave your house without the front door key too?

May I ask the source for this bit of information? I've not read much in the way of people having their identity stolen while on cruise ships. And I'm fairly certain if it's that big a problem we'd hear about it here.

May I ask the source for this bit of information? I've not read much in the way of people having their identity stolen while on cruise ships. And I'm fairly certain if it's that big a problem we'd hear about it here.

Identity theft is not a “here and now” problem. Once your identity is stolen, it may be years before it is used. The info is sold again and again and stored away.

As somebody else on this thread stated, the crew can open your safe, you think they’re not organized. If you’re on a ship excursion they know exactly when you’ll be back.

It’s a perfect setup.

How is your identity going to be stolen is your passport is in your safe? Are you that paranoid that you suspect the crew will go into your safe and copy your identity information for nefarious reasons? :confused:

I have traveled all over the world for decades and have never needed my passport unless it was required. I have never been randomly stopped and asked to "show my papers".

I don't "stash it away like some kind of sacred object". I protect it like a valuable resource.

Not even remotely similar. :rolleyes:

You go one way, I’ll go another. What I know is that is everything goes sideways and I need my passport, I’ll have it.

You?

But there are occasions not related to border officials when one is asked for a passport. Checking in at a B&B or hotel in many countries, making a large purchase are two that come to mind.

I have even heard that traveling near the border in southern states one may encounter random stops where one is asked to prove citizenship.

But there are occasions not related to border officials when one is asked for a passport. Checking in at a B&B or hotel in many countries, making a large purchase are two that come to mind.

I have even heard that traveling near the border in southern states one may encounter random stops where one is asked to prove citizenship.

You may have "heard" this and that. I have been to over forty countries on six continents and have never been asked randomly for identification. I speak from my experience, not what "I have heard".

And yes, when checking into a hotel in most countries, a passport is necessary. But, after that, for the duration of the stay, you most often do not need your passport to visit the area. That depends entirely on the country. Russia, for one, requires you to carry a passport at all times. But, that is not the norm in most countries.

And I have never been asked for a passport to make a purchase in any country. We purchased a large marble fountain in Viet Nam a couple of years ago, with a total of over $4,000, including shipping. Just the credit card and our California driver's license were needed. Again, my experience, not what I "have heard". In fact, some hotels will keep your passport until you check out. Egypt is an example. So, that pretty much negates your advice in those countries.

Edited by sloopsailor

Identity theft is not a “here and now” problem. Once your identity is stolen, it may be years before it is used. The info is sold again and again and stored away.

As somebody else on this thread stated, the crew can open your safe, you think they’re not organized. If you’re on a ship excursion they know exactly when you’ll be back.

It’s a perfect setup.

I was the one who stated they would open your safe to collect your passports if you miss the ship. Ship's SECURITY will. Not all crew have access to your safe.

Yes, room stewards have access to your room, and may know that you're off the ship (or not), but I doubt that many passengers just leave their personal information just sitting around in the room. Not saying that some don't, but that's on them, as leaving that info just lying around in a (basically) public space is dangerous.

Plus, it's not a really good idea for someone who has access to a passenger's room to actually steal stuff. I mean where are they going to go? Where will they hide the stuff they steal?

I still think if identity theft was a cruise ship problem, we'd hear about it here.

Edited by Shmoo here

It’s a perfect setup.

The crew cannot open your safe. Only Security personnel can, and only with a second staff person as a witness. No need to make stuff up to justify your personal preferences. :rolleyes:

You may have "heard" this and that. I have been to over forty countries on 6 continents and have never been asked randomly for identification. I speak from my experience, not what "I have heard".

And yes, when checking into a hotel in most countries, a passport is necessary. But, after that, for the duration of the stay, you most often do not need your passport to visit the area. That depends entirely on the country. Russia, for one, requires you to carry a passport at all times. But, that is not the norm in most countries.

And I have never been asked for a passport to make a purchase in any country. We purchased a large marble fountain in Viet Nam a couple of years ago, with a total of over $4,000, including shipping. Just the credit card and our California driver's license were needed. Again, my experience, not what I "have heard". In fact, some hotels will keep your passport until you check out. Egypt is an example. So, that pretty much negates your advice in those countries.

Our experiences obviously differ. I have been randomly stopped and asked for id in a foreign country. I have been asked for passport id making a large purchase. And certainly in days gone by it was always required when cashing travellers cheques.

As to what I have heard, perhaps https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Border_Patrol_interior_checkpoints will be of interest. My point was that random stops are known to happen, even in the US. (It is a good idea for non-citizens travelling near US border areas to carry their passport.)

It’s a perfect setup.

So you’re saying that the cabin steward is in cahoots with the excursion desk staff, and possibly the security team who count you on and off the ship? So when you go ashore, the excursion crew radio the security team, who confirm that you’ve left the ship on a four-hour excursion, and they radio the cabin steward to let him know that you’re confirmed off the ship, and he/she goes into your cabin, gets your passport and steals your data. So all the crew would know about this practice, but no one talks about it. Including the spouses/partners of crew, some of whom have been passengers themselves.

Since you’ve already given your passport number, address, telephone number, birthdate and credit card details to the cruise line, wouldn’t it be simpler for a front desk staff person to be the one in charge of stealing your identity? Whether you leave it in your safe or take it with you, the cruise line already has all your passport details. If you don’t trust their data security procedures, why do you cruise?

We started cruising in 1998, and we’ve taken 34 cruises, on many different cruise lines. And so far, no one has stolen my identity on any of these cruises.

I must admit that the notion of my identity being stolen by accessing my passport from my safe cabin, by a multinational crime syndicate has never crossed my mind! I will continue to leave my passport in the safe cabin, nevertheless. Still safer than carrying it ashore. Whatever may be said, a determined thief will always be able to take your passport, valuables if he/she really wants to.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

If I'm staying close to the port area or going on a ship's excursion, I'll leave my physical passport in the cabin safe.I do have a photo of it on my phone.

If I'm taking a lengthy or independent tour or going off on my own, I'll bring the actual passport with me.

I think you heard wrong. We live 5 miles from Mexico in south Texas.

About 50 miles north of the boarder on the major highways there are checkpoints manned by the boarder patrol. They ask if you are a US citIzen, you say “yes” and drive on.

Nothing random about it and if you were dumb enough to answer “Si” instead of “Yes” a passport would not be required for proof as many Citizens do not have them.

Lot of misinformation on this thread: ID theft as a result of leaving your passport in the cruise safe???

Don’t know why people feel compelled to just make stuff up on these boards.

Anyway, the answer to OPs question is that it’s usually an individual choice in the Caribbean. If you’re more worried about getting stranded in a foreign country if you miss the ship than having a hassle when you get back because you lost your PP, then take it.

Good idea to take a picture and keep it on your phone either way. It will help to have the number, date and place of issue if you end up in need of replacement.

We’ve also taken to taking a picture of the information for the cruise lines agent for each port from the daily news letter so we have it if we need it (never have).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We always leave our passports in room safe. We do carry a plastic laminated colour photocopy of passport photo/info page. We make it a convenient size ( slightly larger than plastic room key). Punch a hole in it and wear on a neck lanyard. This is great for showing ID when on wharf going to ship.

We always leave our passports in room safe. We do carry a plastic laminated colour photocopy of passport photo/info page. We make it a convenient size ( slightly larger than plastic room key). Punch a hole in it and wear on a neck lanyard. This is great for showing ID when on wharf going to ship.

A copy, laminated or not is not id. In fact, an overly officious person might consider it an attempt to use a fake/forged id.

Always take it with me.

Identity theft is rampant on cruise ships and you never know when you might need it.

Funny how people stash it away like some kind of sacred object. Do you leave your house without the front door key too?

Had a bit of a chuckle at this one as you've already given the cruise line your passport information

You run a much, much, much higher risk of having your passport stolen in port than anyone ever breaking into your safe - that would require a pretty significant collusion of cruise personnel to do so.

But......its up to the individual to do what they most feel comfortable with doing

With the exception of the U.S.A. my passport is on my person at all times when I'm in a foreign country. I've been stopped at armed checkpoints in Africa, Spain and Eastern Europe. Maybe a photocopy would have been sufficient on those occasions but I'd rather not have to find out when there's a nice man with an assault rifle demanding ID.

In my experience a cruise company that keeps your passport will provide it upon request for shore excursions.

With the exception of the U.S.A. my passport is on my person at all times when I'm in a foreign country. I've been stopped at armed checkpoints in Africa, Spain and Eastern Europe. Maybe a photocopy would have been sufficient on those occasions but I'd rather not have to find out when there's a nice man with an assault rifle demanding ID.

In my experience a cruise company that keeps your passport will provide it upon request for shore excursions.

I see your point, but so far, no cruiseline has taken me to trouble-spot countries with armed checkpoints manned by surly folk who demand my papers. If for some reason I am in those places, I’m sure the cruise line will advise me to take my passport off the ship with me. Barring such advice, it stays in the safe.

Armed check points in Spain? Perhaps you are confusing the checkpoints with a normal traffic search, carried out by armed police, which is quite normal, but is less dramatic than your description. Having lived in Spain for 10 years and never once having had to show my passport, I struggle to reconcile your limited Spanish experience with my own.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app