Nieuw Amsterdam vs Oosterdam

floralscent

I have a question about the major difference between 2 ships. Have been on the Nieuw Amsterdam and the Eurodam and love the size and feel of those ships very much. We are considering a Hawaiian cruise on the Oosterdam but I am not sure if we would like the ship as much as the Eurodam or N.A.

Can someone please give me a comparison feel of the ships. Are the VC category cabins the same decor/feel? Is the Oosterdam still in great shape as I think the last refurbishing was in 2007? Any other details are more than appreciated. Thanks so much!

Personally I prefer the Ooesterdam to the Nieuw Amsterdam. When we were on she was in great shape. I like the art better on it and just found it to be far more comfortable (and the crew great).

Haven't been in your cabin category so I can't comment on that, sorry

Major differences -

Oosterdam does not have a Tamarind restaurant or Silk Den

Osterdam does not have Lido deck cabanas

Other than that the ships are very similar in size and design. The V cabins on all three shipsare for the most part identical in size, design and location. HAL's website or Joannie's CC website will show you the different colours.

Another major difference in the cabins is on deck 8 where the Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam have category V verandah cabins in place of the larger SS superior verandah suites found on deck 8 on the Oosterdam and other vistas.

Been on the Oosterdam 3 times and it has consistently been in great shape.

As much as I absolutely LOVE the Tamarind, the 3 hours there doesn't offset the clutter on the Lido from the Retreat Cabanas. JMO though.

I know we have a lot of NA fans, but I prefer the Ooesterdam, any day, any cruise, any time:D JMO please don't flame me;)

Just off the O and found it in very good shape. Funny, I saw a bunch of people mentioning (complaining) that it needed a refit prior to my trip and so I was on extra "alert" for signs of wear and tear. Saw very little. Ship is very well maintained and exceptionally clean. Best HAL crew I've ever experienced, too.

As for the O vs. NA. I've been on the Eurodam (twin to NA) and found it noticeably more crowded... You really feel the crowds in the Lido. The Eurodam and NA hold more passengers on essentially the same size hull and use considerable space for private cabanas, an extra restaurant complex, etc. For this reason, I prefer Vista ships over Signature ships.

I have a question about the major difference between 2 ships. Have been on the Nieuw Amsterdam and the Eurodam and love the size and feel of those ships very much. We are considering a Hawaiian cruise on the Oosterdam but I am not sure if we would like the ship as much as the Eurodam or N.A.

Can someone please give me a comparison feel of the ships. Are the VC category cabins the same decor/feel? Is the Oosterdam still in great shape as I think the last refurbishing was in 2007? Any other details are more than appreciated. Thanks so much!

Since you know the Signature Class very well, here are the main differences...

Oosterdam has:

No Slice at the aft pool (there is still pizza)

No cabanas (Retreat/Cabana Club OR Lido)

No Spa Staterooms/suites

No Tamarind/Silk Den

No Master Chef's Table (the $89/pp event in the Pinnacle)

Different layout for Northern Lights

Different layout for Ocean Bar

No Explorers Bar (the one by the Explorers Lounge)

Different seating configuration in the main show lounge

I think that covers it all.

Oosterdam is a GREAT ship I have been on numerous times. If the itineraries were identical I'd probably pick Eurodam/Nieuw Amsterdam as my most recent cruise left me addicted to Tamarind, but if the itineraries were different I would likely let itinerary be the deciding factor.

Edited by DutchByAssociation

You said on the Oosterdam : No Master Chef's Table (the $89/pp event in the Pinnacle)

Is this the same thing as Dining with the Chef on the Westerdam - where you sit around the cook/stove counter in the Culinary Arts area and the chef cooks fo 10 passengers - great food and wine parings? I saw by the deck plans that the O still has the Culinary Arts area in the Queens Lounge. Dos this also mean that the Queens Loung on the O is also where they show thier movies?

Thanks for any help with this.

You said on the Oosterdam : No Master Chef's Table (the $89/pp event in the Pinnacle)

Is this the same thing as Dining with the Chef on the Westerdam - where you sit around the cook/stove counter in the Culinary Arts area and the chef cooks fo 10 passengers - great food and wine parings? I saw by the deck plans that the O still has the Culinary Arts area in the Queens Lounge. Dos this also mean that the Queens Loung on the O is also where they show thier movies?

Thanks for any help with this.

The Vista Class ships will typically have the Dining with the Chef event during the cruise. While it's different than the Master Chef's Table event, I've heard nothing but positive things about it.

They MAY occasionally use the Queen's Lounge for movies, that is what was used when the ship was first launched, but there is a Screening Room on Oosterdam since 2009's dry dock that is a more proper "theater"

The Oosterdam had a redo a year or so after I was on her; I'd like to cruise on her again to see what changes have been made.

I was on the Eurodam in March and loved it...would not mind cruising on the Niew Amsterdam at some point.

Do you follow me on twitter? A couple weekends ago I was on oosterdam and live posting pictures as I took them. Believe there were around 100 or so?... My phone was mad at me for the rest of the day for the heavy use :)

We are considering a Hawaiian cruise on the Oosterdam but I am not sure if we would like the ship as much as the Eurodam or N.A.

I just started researching for our soon to be booked Oosterdam cruise in Feb, 2012 to Hawaii.

I'm glad you asked this question because it sounds like many folks to like the ship. When are you thinking of sailing?

• 7 years later...
Any updated thoughts on these 2 ships. Trying to decide with two similar itineraries ...

The last post on this thread was over 7 years ago. Both ships have had several dry docks and makeovers in the intervening period.

Nieuw Amsterdam had her last dry dock in December 2017 and Oosterdam had her dry dock in March 2018.

Yes -- I know this thread is 7 years old.

But one thing hasn't changed -- the Nieuw Amsterdam has the Silk Den and the Tamarind Restaurant -- the Oosterdam doesn't. And for us -- that is a big draw to sail on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

We are considering a cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam.

We have only done 1 HAL cruise which was on Oosterdam.

For Nieuw Amsterdam we are looking at at VD or VE balcony , deck 6 or 7, fwd or aft.

Any cabin selection advise for us new HAL cruisers please.

Thanks

Might want to upgrade to a Signature Suite if the travel budget can swing it - a great sized cabin that puts a lot of extra pleasure into the overall cruise experience, without having to upgrade to a Neptune Suite.  These are the SS,SY and SZ marked cabins - more in the center of the ship. 

Be sure to find the "hidden" Big Apple on the NA.

Edited by OlsSalt