Local wildlife

Hi everyone,

I hope I've posted in the correct spot :o

My family is looking to cruise sometime next year (2019), and most of us are first timers. We're excited about being able to just sit and relax, spend time together, etc. and one of the things I'm personally looking forward to is just vegging out in a chair by myself with a drink.

I do have a concern, and I'm hoping you all can tell me that there's nothing to worry about... I have a fear of spiders, snakes, reptiles, and such, and I really can't express how fearful I am that my respite on the beach will be interrupted by something like this. What are the chances of me waking up from a snooze with something crawling on my leg/chest? :eek: If we're walking along on the beach, how worried should I be that we'll encounter something dangerous? :o

We haven't really decided on destinations yet, but it'll be somewhere in the Gulf of Mexico. I have to imagine there will be wildlife, since we're out in nature. But I also have to imagine if this were something to worry about we'd be hearing more about it? I'm not sure.

Thanks for any advice on this, anyone. :) Feel free to tell me I'm just being a child and it'll be fine.

Hi everyone,

I hope I've posted in the correct spot :o

My family is looking to cruise sometime next year (2019), and most of us are first timers. We're excited about being able to just sit and relax, spend time together, etc. and one of the things I'm personally looking forward to is just vegging out in a chair by myself with a drink.

I do have a concern, and I'm hoping you all can tell me that there's nothing to worry about... I have a fear of spiders, snakes, reptiles, and such, and I really can't express how fearful I am that my respite on the beach will be interrupted by something like this. What are the chances of me waking up from a snooze with something crawling on my leg/chest? :eek: If we're walking along on the beach, how worried should I be that we'll encounter something dangerous? :o

We haven't really decided on destinations yet, but it'll be somewhere in the Gulf of Mexico. I have to imagine there will be wildlife, since we're out in nature. But I also have to imagine if this were something to worry about we'd be hearing more about it? I'm not sure.

Thanks for any advice on this, anyone. :) Feel free to tell me I'm just being a child and it'll be fine.

Your post is way to vague for anyone to give you information you are request. Repost when you know where you are going and time of year.

there will always be those tiny little lizards running around everywhere. ditto on the spiders but more likely on the beach will be sand fleas which are a bazillion times more irritating than any poor arachnid or amphibian you come across.

you can pretty much guarantee some sort of insect or bug will be using you as a snack or resting spot while on the beaches, even if you bring reef safe bug spray/sunscreen.

You need to find a TA who can work with you to find a cruise that might satisfy your hopes. At this point it is not clear where you want to sail from or to. Honestly it sounds like you would do better at an AI.

Some Polynesian and other South Pacific islands have no snakes. But, it is hard to escape things like harmless geckos and various other insects/spiders, which you'll find at home as well.

And, of course, there's far more interesting things to see/do on a cruise than going to the beach.

Alaska in May might be a good choice. Of course, there won't be much beach time.

Alaska in January to March would be even better and you would get a chance to see aurora. Even less beach time but you would not have to worry about bringing sun tan lotion for 2 reasons (cold and no sun) or spray to keep off the mosquitoes.

DON

Anything is possible.

I had a poisonous sea snake slither under my beach chair on a beach in the South Pacific. The locals told us to just ignore them.

I definitely wouldn't go to Australia. Everything there can kill you, LOL.

But I've never encountered anything dangerous in the Caribbean although I'm sure they are there somewhere. Iguanas can be a little intimidating but they have never came that close. Like someone else said, sand fleas and/or "No-See-Ums" are the most irritating.

Most things you will encounter are, at worst, annoying, not dangerous.

Most reptiles, including snakes, are not interested in you. You are too big to eat. Although, if you annoy THEM, they might get testy.

Anyplace warm and with beaches will have insects. Some of them will snack on you. Bug repellent (please use reef safe products) will help.

Overall, you are more likely to have issues with the most dangerous of all animals, humans, than serious trouble with anything else. And even that is not common.

Relax, get help if needed, and enjoy.

I have a fear of spiders, snakes, reptiles, and such, and I really can't express how fearful I am that my respite on the beach will be interrupted by something like this.

It has been many years since the last report of a sailor being grabbed off the deck of a ship at night by a Kraken, but you might want to spend your time while on ship away from open decks.

On the ship you are very, very unlikely to encounter any wildlife. If you are really concerned, you could always stay on the ship and enjoy the pool and other amenities rather than going to a beach on shore.

Anything is possible.

I had a poisonous sea snake slither under my beach chair on a beach in the South Pacific. The locals told us to just ignore them.

I definitely wouldn't go to Australia. Everything there can kill you, LOL.

But I've never encountered anything dangerous in the Caribbean although I'm sure they are there somewhere. Iguanas can be a little intimidating but they have never came that close. Like someone else said, sand fleas and/or "No-See-Ums" are the most irritating.

I agree, everything here in Australia will kill you, it is the only reason our population is still so small. It is also the only reason why we banned Guns, we didn't want the population to actually drop.

You don’t need to worry about encountering anything ‘dangerous’ on the beach in the Caribbean. You could encounter jellyfish and sting rays in the ocean. They won’t seriously injury you but the sting would hurt.

As far as reptiles and spiders on the beach; are they there? Yes. Will they crawl up on you? Not likely. For the most part they want to stay away from you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You don’t need to worry about encountering anything ‘dangerous’ on the beach in the Caribbean. You could encounter jellyfish and sting rays in the ocean. They won’t seriously injury you but the sting would hurt.

As far as reptiles and spiders on the beach; are they there? Yes. Will they crawl up on you? Not likely. For the most part they want to stay away from you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

"Nothing?"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/01/30/health/worms-feet-vacation/index.html

Definitely do not go to Australia. Check out this song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNEeq5qGh8I.

We did an outback tour of Australia and when I went to one of the pit toilets at a campsite, there was a redback spider on the toilet seat.

DON

You were one of the lucky ones then, most time you don't see them until it is too late.;p

We stayed in a cabin near Cairns. We went into the cabin and spotted a huge spider on the ceiling fan. We left a note for the housekeeper asking if it were dangerous. Her reply? "What spider?"

Are sure it was a ceiling fan, sometimes the spiders are so large, they just look like one, that is until you go to switch it on.:cool:

On the ship you are very, very unlikely to encounter any wildlife. If you are really concerned, you could always stay on the ship and enjoy the pool and other amenities rather than going to a beach on shore.

Actually some of the worst and most dangerous wildlife may be your fellow passengers but I guess that is not the kind the OP is concerned with:D