Caribbean princess having technical difficulties

joeyjeremiah

Ditto...scheduled to sail 3/18/2018...being on a ship in the Caribbean with or without technical difficulties beats a day in the office in Chicago (brrrrrrrrr)!

Totally agree! Wisconsin winters are brrrrrrrr. We are also on that cruise along with with three other ones before that on the cb. My favorite ship.

Totally agree! Wisconsin winters are brrrrrrrr. We are also on that cruise along with with three other ones before that on the cb. My favorite ship.

So you'll be able to experience Ocean Medallion immediately after "traditional" sea pass card. That should be a challenge.

• 2 weeks later...
We were on the Caribbean Princess 10/7 to 10/21 - No technical difficulties at all!!

Thanks for your update RE: The CB showing no sign of technical difficulties on your very recent cruise. That is great news - especially for those of us who sail soon :)

We were on the Caribbean Princess 10/7 to 10/21 - No technical difficulties at all!!
We were on the same cruise and felt the same way. But some were disappointed that we had to leave Aruba several hours earlier than the original scheduled departure of 10:00 pm. The change in departure time was made several months ago, so it was not a surprise. See one post in the roll call.

We were on the same cruise and felt the same way. But some were disappointed that we had to leave Aruba several hours earlier than the original scheduled departure of 10:00 pm. The change in departure time was made several months ago, so it was not a surprise. See one post in the roll call.

We were disappointed with leaving Aruba early too.

At least you are getting advance notice and can cancel if you should choose to. We were informed the night before we were to be heading to La Havre (France) that we would not be porting there and would spend the night in port in Belgium. They claimed it was due to a worker strike, but it makes me wonder if mechanical issues were actually to blame. We received NO OBC for this major disappointment. It was going to be the grand finale to our trip.

Thank You for the update. We are aware there may be some issues, we know some port change in times. We don’t care 🤷*♀️, we are going cruising [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow, Caribbean Princess is experiencing technical difficulties - yet again - unable to cruise at full speed. Boy have I heard that before, and they are unable to fix it and are rescheduling cruises up to six months from today. Same issue has plagued Princess now for a good four years. We ending up being shipwrecked in St. Maarten for two full days and then we limped back to San Juan for the remaining five days of our cruise - worked out fine - it was March break and we were all happy as they refunded us our entire fare - and gave money for another future cruise. Since then, no matter what the deal, I stay away from the Caribbean Princess. She has real speed issues. They have to change the ports now to make the distances between the ports smaller so that they can still fit in seven days and not give anyone their money back other than the taxes - remember in their post script in small print, you are warned that itinerary may change for any reason. This folks is what you have here. The Caribbean is getting old I am sure it will not be long before they send it down under as Princess seems to do with their older gals.

Did you look at the log of your cruise? It should list the average speed from port to port. The CB has had problems for years. There are threads here from nearly a decade ago when the CB's engine problems first started. On our August cruise, the max speed listed in the log was 21 knots. Most of the time it was 16 to 18 knots.

The early (rescheduled) departure time from Aruba was a result of the continuing technical difficulties.

Many of the distances between scheduled ports in the Caribbean are relatively short, so needing to cruise at less than normal speeds does not affect arrival times.

Today would not be a very good day to have any technical issues (beside the ongoing issues) since today is the day of her first partial transit of the new Atlantic Locks. The Caribbean Princess will be the first cruise ship to use the new locks that has not transited the Canal previously.

Did you look at the log of your cruise? It should list the average speed from port to port. The CB has had problems for years. There are threads here from nearly a decade ago when the CB's engine problems first started. On our August cruise, the max speed listed in the log was 21 knots. Most of the time it was 16 to 18 knots.

No, I didn't look. I know it has had engine problems for a while, but the speed didn't matter, we made it in and out of our scheduled ports on time. So to me, there were no technical problems.

Today would not be a very good day to have any technical issues (beside the ongoing issues) since today is the day of her first partial transit of the new Atlantic Locks. The Caribbean Princess will be the first cruise ship to use the new locks that has not transited the Canal previously.

24pfomw.jpg

From another thread. Gonna miss those locomotives from the old locks......:):):)

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Just got off Caribbean princess yesterday. We lost power for about 1 hr. after leaving Grand Cayman. Captain a few minutes earlier came on to reassure passengers that although the ship was listing on the port side ( I did not notice this,but was in a starboard cabin) he said all was well then several minutes later the lights went out and we had no power for about 1 hr. very unsettling feeling .we also had to turn around previously to meet up with a helicopter off Cuba for a medical emergency. All our balcony furniture was moved inside and we had to stay on deck 7. We were in a cabin on deck 10. Not the greatest cruise. :(

Wow Atlantic cruiser that’s a lot to happen in the same cruise. I get that princess had no control over the med evac and hopefully that person is ok. But I’ve been on a ship without power and it’s not fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got off Caribbean princess yesterday. We lost power for about 1 hr. after leaving Grand Cayman. Captain a few minutes earlier came on to reassure passengers that although the ship was listing on the port side ( I did not notice this,but was in a starboard cabin) he said all was well then several minutes later the lights went out and we had no power for about 1 hr. very unsettling feeling .we also had to turn around previously to meet up with a helicopter off Cuba for a medical emergency. All our balcony furniture was moved inside and we had to stay on deck 7. We were in a cabin on deck 10. Not the greatest cruise. :(

I can imagine the feeling. We were all concerned while waiting for our cruise on the CB last September. Glad we didn't encounter any for 12 days, unless we were just not made aware of any.

Fairly certain she has shafted propulsion.

That is correct! We were on the bridge twice during our 29-day voyage and monitored the speed shown. There is no question there is an issue with one of the propulsion systems, however, she was able to easily do at least 18knots with both systems operating even against the wind and current. Her rated speed is 22knots. The only word we have gotten is that she is scheduling a dry-dock fix after the 2018 season to fix the problem. Until then, she is safe to sail and if she wasn't, I would think they would take her off-line.

This ship vibrated more than I was use to as well. With slower speed required and this power loss would think it needs some mechanical check over. Little unsettling knowing if power was going to get restored. Never had an experience like this before. But one of the oddest trips was on for random events occurring.