Caribbean princess having technical difficulties

joeyjeremiah

Just off the Caribbean Princess with the "dead in the water" incident. I never had any concerns. Captain was wonderful about keeping us updated. Heard there was one person stuck in the elevator. Ship computers were down. Restaurants were slightly impacted. I looked at it from a different perspective. Just another adventure.

Yes, we did get up and running slowly. We got up to speed (18-20 knots). Yes, we made it back to Port Everglades on time. No, there was no compensation.

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from panama canal cruise, sailed from Nov 20-30. The ship was departing the port about 1.5 hrs late due to medical emergency. There was a passenger who got heart attack 2 hours after leaving Grand Cayman and then the ship had to turn around back to the island to drop off the man, which then caused late arrival in FLL for about 2 hours. There was engine issue in Panama.. one engine seemed to quit working, only one propeller that worked...but the ship managed to complete the trip and made it back to the FLL port ( thank God ! ). I am not sure if the engine issue was fixed .. I hope so.

Edited by herlinid
grammatical

Does this ship use Pods?

Keith

The ship like all the other Princess ships use shafted propulsion.

It sounds like the CB has a gremlin aboard that is messing with their propulsion system. So far it does not appear that they have been able to find that gremlin.

This is the real question IMHO. What in the heck is going on?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just finished a 10 day Panama Canal cruise, and one evening the captain announced that a medical emergency had made it necessary to turn back to Grand Cayman. It was 2 1/2 hours there and then an additional 2 1/2 hours back to our starting point. I expected that the ship would be able to make up the difference with a bit more speed, but no. We arrived in Fort Lauderdale about 5 hours late, and I thought that was odd, since there was a full Sea Day following the Grand Cayman turn-around.

We arrived in Fort Lauderdale about 5 hours late, and I thought that was odd, since there was a full Sea Day following the Grand Cayman turn-around.

YIKES ! Hopefully they get her fixed soon. I cancelled our January 2018 cruise on the CB just because of the possibility of this kind of issue. Hopefully we get to keep our 2019 reservation.

Don’t worry about it if it wasn’t safe they wouldn’t operate the ship. I hope most people who fly out of Florida used common sense to book flights after the noon hour. Have a great cruise and chill.

I don't have as much faith as others. We are on 1/13/18 sailing and cruise lines will do most anything to avoid taking ships out of service. The Caribbean Princess is already operating with less than full strength. Hopefully, she will get through the season without further issues.

We sailed several times on the CB last year. One of our cruises was last August/September 2016, the British Isles and return to NYC for 29 days. The CB made it on time and with little problem. We are sailing on the CB again in November in the Caribbean for 14 days and are not worried. Seems like everyone likes to abuse the CB on here lately.

I don't have as much faith as others. We are on 1/13/18 sailing and cruise lines will do most anything to avoid taking ships out of service. The Caribbean Princess is already operating with less than full strength. Hopefully, she will get through the season without further issues.

Am on same trip as you.

We sail in Feb hoping everything is fixed and running.

This is old news. As I understand the issue the Caribbean can only operate at a somewhat reduced speed. This issue has been ongoing for a long time. It can only be fixed in dry dock which will not happen before your Feb cruise. The ship is safe. Your itinerary was already adjusted to allow for the reduced speeds.

• 1 month later...
We have several cruises booked in the Caribbean Princess next winter (2018-19), and I’ve just received itinerary change notifications for all of them, a year in advance. We are getting $50 per person OBC as compensation.

We got the emails yesterday too.

So we know where you will be sailing next winter. Are you on both the 14 day sailings in January 2019? Just hoping we will get to run into you someday!

We got the emails yesterday too.

So we know where you will be sailing next winter. Are you on both the 14 day sailings in January 2019? Just hoping we will get to run into you someday!

Deb, that’s nice iof you! Actually, the Caribbean is our fallback position if life and health does not permit us to again do some longer distance exploring. We’ve had a narrow window of opportunity to do that and hope it continues a little while longer. Enjoy your cruises!