Not BIG on specialty restaurants... Package, or wait for Offers on Board?

Er12001

Hello All!

Sailing on X Silhouette to the Baltics Jun. 9th. Mid-30's here traveling with Mum who is 63, looking forward to a great cruise! We're not ultra-fussy eaters and have found most of our dining cruise experiences in the MDR to be quite good (except for my cruise on Carnival...) so we are not really "spenders" for specialty dining. Mum and I have not sailed together since 2008, so a lot has changed in cruising, with Silhouette offering 4+ specialty dining options.... I was thinking of getting us a 3-night dining package, however, I feel that in all reality, Mum's taste would only be up to something like Murano and Tuscan Grill (not so much the avant garde of QSine, or raw food i.e. Porch/Lawn Club/Sushi on 5).

My question to the forum would be.... would it be best to just wait and see if some good offers come up to dine at Murano and Tuscan Grill only? or should we just go with the package? Package seems like a good value for 3 venues, but like I said, I think only 2 sound palatable around now and not keen on repeating... Also, I have searched and it does seem Luminae and Blu are def. not available to non-suite/Aqua Class guests.... is this true? or are these bookable to "traditional" guests? (we're value cruisers, so an inside cabin is perfectly sufficient)

Thanks in advance for your insights!

Happy Travels!

Edited by Er12001

well Celebrity I don't think has as good of Specialty restaurants as other cruise lines.

I would wait and just check them out on line.

I ate at Quisine on the Summit, and boy that was a most strange meal. Never order 3 meatballs and because you will get 3 very large ones with nothing else. No pasta.

toodles and best of luck

You don't have to feel guilty skipping the specialty venues. I consider them overpriced--especially on Celebrity. I would suggest waiting and keeping your options open. There are other factors besides the food. During our last cruise, we had a great time with our tablemates in the main dining room and preferred our dinner conversations to any specialty restaurant. If you are truly looking for value, try mixing up your free options from room service, the buffet, aqua spa, and the main dining room.

well Celebrity I don't think has as good of Specialty restaurants as other cruise lines.

I ate at Quisine on the Summit, and boy that was a most strange meal. Never order 3 meatballs and because you will get 3 very large ones with nothing else. No pasta.

toodles and best of luck

Sounds like the waiter didn’t explain to you that the items are for sharing no item is intended to be a meal. That restaurant is more along the line of a tapas restaurant and we enjoy it with a group of 6-8 where we each order a different item and share.

Hello All!

...My question to the forum would be.... would it be best to just wait and see if some good offers come up to dine at Murano and Tuscan Grill only? or should we just go with the package? Package seems like a good value for 3 venues, but like I said, I think only 2 sound palatable around now and not keen on repeating... Also, I have searched and it does seem Luminae and Blu are def. not available to non-suite/Aqua Class guests.... is this true? or are these bookable to "traditional" guests? (we're value cruisers, so an inside cabin is perfectly sufficient)

Happy Travels!

If you only want two venues, why pay for the third? Wait until you board and see if there are any special deals offered for the two restaurants you might want to try. If you do buy a three dinner package, you could, if you desire. eat all three meals in the same speciality restaurant, for example.

Your research has served you well - you will NOT be able to eat in Blu or Luminae.

On our recent cruise on Solstice, we were considering trying one of the speciality restaurants, but we didn't need to as the MDR was fantastic - the food was outstanding and a highlight of the cruise..... even the OVC buffet was great

if you're not great foodies then the MDR and OVC will be fine for you

Celebrity offers discount packages on the extra charge restaurants. Never really a problem getting reservations since probably less than 25% of passengers want to pay extra. That is just a personal choice. I am booked on a 12 night cruise and have pre booked a dining package for 7 of the 12 nights. The price averaged a extra $20 a night per person or $280 for 7 nights for the two of us. I love the speciality restaurants. They have their own kitchen and tend to be a much nicer smaller venu and quite compared to the main dining room. On a longer cruise it is just nice to have different dining experiences. Also because I end up with so much shipboard credits it covers the extra cost. Like I said it is a personal choice and I am so glad they have so many different dining venues on board, even at a extra price.

Hello All!

Sailing on X Silhouette to the Baltics Jun. 9th. Mid-30's here traveling with Mum who is 63, looking forward to a great cruise! We're not ultra-fussy eaters and have found most of our dining cruise experiences in the MDR to be quite good (except for my cruise on Carnival...) so we are not really "spenders" for specialty dining. Mum and I have not sailed together since 2008, so a lot has changed in cruising, with Silhouette offering 4+ specialty dining options.... I was thinking of getting us a 3-night dining package, however, I feel that in all reality, Mum's taste would only be up to something like Murano and Tuscan Grill (not so much the avant garde of QSine, or raw food i.e. Porch/Lawn Club/Sushi on 5).

My question to the forum would be.... would it be best to just wait and see if some good offers come up to dine at Murano and Tuscan Grill only? or should we just go with the package? Package seems like a good value for 3 venues, but like I said, I think only 2 sound palatable around now and not keen on repeating... Also, I have searched and it does seem Luminae and Blu are def. not available to non-suite/Aqua Class guests.... is this true? or are these bookable to "traditional" guests? (we're value cruisers, so an inside cabin is perfectly sufficient)

Happy Travels!

Wait till you get on board, with the packages they limit the available times for dining to either 6 or 8:30 & reserve the prime times for those without a package.

You should be able to get a discount by just walking up & asking for one.

Keep checking the pre-boarding options. We were on the Silhouette in December, and ended up purchasing a 6 night specialty package for less than the price of the 5 night package. We were allowed to eat at Murano as many nights as we wanted (but did Tuscan, Q-Sine, Lawn Club once each, and Murano 3 times). The MDR is typically fine, but the specialty restaurants are better, and we prefer to spend the little extra money to enjoy the dinners even more. Either way, enjoy.

Thank you all for the wonderful feedback!

Looks like will be waiting to get on board and check-out the offers/see what mood we're in/etc.

Happy Travels!

I would. We’ve never paid full price for any specialty dinner on any X ship when booking onboard.

Hi guys!

On almost all of our cruises we went to a specialty restaurant once or twice - so not often enough to buy a package.

And we are actually quite happy about not getting the package since we never paid the full price - and even less than the package price.

Especially on Solstice class (such as Silhouette) the restaurants almost seem to be competing - so the least we got was 30% off, sometimes even 50 % (only pay for one). Just ask for it in a friendly way and they see what they can do.

On M class with fewer restaurants it is a little different but you still get deals - last was 25 $ for Tuscan on Millennium.

On Silhouette we would recommend Murano, Lawn Club Grille for al fresco dining and Qsine for a unique experience if you are a group. Personally we will not visit Tuscan any more. We have not been overly happy the last 4 or 5 times (on different ships) and the menu is just nothing special for us (living in Europe). As a first timer you might feel different though...

Whatever you decide, enjoy your time! Silhouette is a beautiful ship!

Oliver

Wait till you get on board, with the packages they limit the available times for dining to either 6 or 8:30 & reserve the prime times for those without a package.

You should be able to get a discount by just walking up & asking for one.

I am sorry, but what is this about only serving package people at 6 pm or 8.30!! Last cruise i was able to book the times i wanted

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am sorry, but what is this about only serving package people at 6 pm or 8.30!! Last cruise i was able to book the times i wanted

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm sure it varies depending on the ship & itinerary, this was the policy on our last cruise. We had a bigger package I think maybe the 10 night, & Tuscan & Murano were busy so this was the policy on the ship for our cruise. We did the older dining package a few cruises ago, (the one where you get a night in each restaurant plus 1 double) & we didn't have a problem with times then. I won't do another package unless they allowed us to pre book times.

P.S.: we had pre purchased the package & went to make our reservations as soon as we boarded, we were told that people with packages would be restricted to those two times in Murano & Tuscan (sushi & silk harvest were good to go any time) We checked every day to try & get more reasonable times, but couldn't. We still enjoyed the restaurants though. :)

Edited by cruise kitty

If you wait until you are onboard you can first, see if you like the MDR so much you don't even care to eat elsewhere and second, negotiate for discounts. Word to the wise - you are not limited to advertised specials on specialty restaurants. Talk to the maitre d's at the restaurants and negotiate with them. This works especially well in these circumstances: longer (than 7 night) cruises, days towards the end of the cruise as well as the first day, cruises that have an older age grouping (no disrespect intended - just have found this to be the case), and days where the ship overnights or stays late in a popular port. Best deals will be found under those circumstances.

My husband and I like the MDR. We check the menu in the afternoon and if nothing appeals to us, we go to the buffet. We also like to go to the buffet for (self-serve) tea once or twice during a cruise. At four o'clock , they put out little sandwiches, scones, cakes, pastries, cheeses and all sorts of goodies. We skip dinner on those nights.

You will probably be able to get discounts on the specialty restaurants on board.

toodles and best of luck

Maybe you did not get pasta is because it was not Tuscan (Italian Steakhouse)...???

Just a thought.

bon voyage

Sounds like the waiter didn’t explain to you that the items are for sharing no item is intended to be a meal. That restaurant is more along the line of a tapas restaurant and we enjoy it with a group of 6-8 where we each order a different item and share.

Actually, I believe the poster did not understand the type of cuisine, good, bad or indifferent, that Qsine serves.

bon voyage

Would just say that Sushi on 5 is NOT just raw seafood. Check out the menu posted outside the venue. I thought the word "sushi" meant raw seafood and I found out I was wrong. They have a shrimp tempura roll that is fantastic and chicken dumplings that are also great. They have ramen bowls that are delicious. I think they did themselves a disservice naming the place as they did because so many people won't even stop and look at the menu.

I'm sure it varies depending on the ship & itinerary, this was the policy on our last cruise. We had a bigger package I think maybe the 10 night, & Tuscan & Murano were busy so this was the policy on the ship for our cruise. We did the older dining package a few cruises ago, (the one where you get a night in each restaurant plus 1 double) & we didn't have a problem with times then. I won't do another package unless they allowed us to pre book times.

P.S.: we had pre purchased the package & went to make our reservations as soon as we boarded, we were told that people with packages would be restricted to those two times in Murano & Tuscan (sushi & silk harvest were good to go any time) We checked every day to try & get more reasonable times, but couldn't. We still enjoyed the restaurants though. :)

Thanks for info

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Would just say that Sushi on 5 is NOT just raw seafood. Check out the menu posted outside the venue. I thought the word "sushi" meant raw seafood and I found out I was wrong. They have a shrimp tempura roll that is fantastic and chicken dumplings that are also great. They have ramen bowls that are delicious. I think they did themselves a disservice naming the place as they did because so many people won't even stop and look at the menu.

I agree. We will be eating there a couple of times as just looked at the menu

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It seems we are drifting off topic, but be that as it may ;) I wanted to add my agreement with your assessment. Although we do enjoy sushi, we found many other types of Asian-influenced food items. We decided that on future cruises, Sushi on 5 may well be the only specialty restaurant we visit. Murano, Qsine and Tuscan = been there, done that multiple times. On ships with Lawn Grill, we will probably visit that again. It is nice we have choices.

Hello All!

Happy Travels!

I have to agree with Mike...if you like the MDR why even bother with paying extra for specialty dining? We've sailed 8 times and with one exception have never had a bad meal in the MDR (the one we had was celebrity chefs and our waiter TOLD us not to order it!) From strictly a financial POV, you've already paid for your meal in the MDR, why would you pay double to eat in one of the specialties? We checked out Qsine and found menu to be a little too "out there" for us and we're probably closer to your Mom's age than yours. We did like Tuscan menu but were turned off when we realized dinner would cost over $100 for the two of us if we had wine with dinner. We do like Aqua Spa for breakfast and lunch (we can sleep late and eat light) and the Mast Grill is great but there's very little shade. Luminae and Blu are not open to "the public".