St Maarten Airport Watching Tragedy

evandbob

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/woman-dies-after-jet-engine-air-blast/ar-BBEkmRB

I believe that this is not the first fatality here and that there have been many reported injuries from people holding onto the fencing and getting blown of it by jet blasts.

If you go, watch from a safe distance and don't be in the direct line of a big jet taking off.

I just read an article that this was the first fatality. The last serious injury was 2012. The thrust on take offs is greater than landings.

I remember a a girl being lifted off her feet a few years back . Most incidents go unreported.

The news story is that it was a 57 year old woman from New Zealand who was pushed into a concrete barrier by the thrust of the engines. And this was the first death here but there have been numerous injuries. So sad and so senseless!! I was here last April but had the good sense to watch the planes from the bar near the beach.

I lived in St Maarten for many years and there are signs posted all over saying not to stand on the side of the road near the fence. That's why the concert barriers are there so you can't park on that side of the street. Why do people take such risks? You can get the same view from across the street.

Edited by joyce baly

The video I see everywhere is actually from the 2012 incident, but it does show how dangerous getting too close can be. I've read that officials are going to review their policies regarding Maho beach, hopefully a handful of people doing something stupid doesn't ruin a really neat experience for everyone else.

The TMZ article said people on the scene "tried in vain to resuscitate her." The still shot at the top of their article shows someone performing chest compressions on a woman in a yellow top. But the video of the actual incident clearly shows the woman is wearing a red top. And after she hits the concrete barrier, she's seen on her knees & butt sitting upright. The MSN article says she died later at the hospital, which seems to be the case.

The TMZ article said people on the scene "tried in vain to resuscitate her." The still shot at the top of their article shows someone performing chest compressions on a woman in a yellow top. But the video of the actual incident clearly shows the woman is wearing a red top. And after she hits the concrete barrier, she's seen on her knees & butt sitting upright. The MSN article says she died later at the hospital, which seems to be the case.

As I said in the post right above yours, the video is of another woman from 2012

It's much safer to watch the planes from the bar overlooking rather than from the beach.
Depends on what you're doing at the bar. Danger lurks everywhere. I know someone who got banned from FB for posting a titty pic of a couple of topless ladies getting their free drinks. LOL.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk