Should I take a suit for Blu?

webeinky

Some help please, so we are in the midst of getting our clothestogether and as it has been several years since my wife and I have cruised andknow things have changed a bit on the ships. Also, we have never cruised in AquaClass so have never experienced the Blu restaurant before. So we are not reallysure what to expect there as well.

I have always taken a suit for formal Night (aka EveningChic now) and I hear that Blu doesn’t really even have that, it is Smart Casualattire for all 7 nights is that correct? We don’t mind dressing up a bit but alsodon’t want to bring a lot of unnecessary clothes if they are unneeded. Just wantto fit in if you know what I mean.

Should I take a suit, sports coat or just a nice shirt?

Bring it if you want to wear it. Enough usually get dressed up in Blu that you won’t stick out if you want to be dressy. Likewise you will fit in if you eschew the suit for more casual attire.

Blu has always been smart casual however you will see some in suits, sport jackets, shirt & tie, tommy Bahamas type shirt and some with polo shirts.

We are going on a Caribbean Cruise in a couple of weeks and DH won’t be taking a jacket or tie.

In a word - no.

My husband brought a sport coat for chic night and wore it to a dinner in Murano on a non-chic night - it was a good compromise, he looked sharp and more appropriately dressed, in my opinion, than just a shirt. HOWEVER, plenty of men were in shirt sleeves, even polo shirts on chic night in Blu. This is the first time we have cruised without him wearing a tux, but we live in a formal kind of place, he owns his own tux and wears it once or twice a year.

We are frequent BLU cruisers...it says "casual every night in BLU", but most do a bit more chic on chic night....fun and festive!

Suit not needed unless you want it..you will see alot of variety including tux, suits etc but not so much anymore.. "dressy resort" more the norm...

I have a big b day celebration coming up on our cruise and a very special " boutiquey " dress ( not a gown..) ,,,,.dh will wear dress slacks, nice shirt with long sleeves, and a tommy bahama tie that coordinates..hoping for some nice photos.

Generally we do not get that dressy..... usually no tie...

NO. You will look out of place in a tux. Evening chic is getting more casual. Each time I cruise, I count tuxedos and hawaiian shirts on evening chic nights. Hawaiian shirts are becoming the shirt to wear on any evening of a cruise. The brighter and flowery are chic. I only saw one tuxedo

Just got back from the Summit/Bermuda (2nd year in a row, and both in Aqua with Blu). It's a personal choice. However, MOST people do not wear a suit (there are plenty of men in a suit/tux on formal nights, but the vast majority are not). I have worn khakis with a nice patterned button down shirt (mostly short sleeve), but do add a blue blazer on formal nights (but even then it's 50/50 of men with a jacket, and even less with ties - I bring one just in case we get invited to a captain's dinner - although the 1 time we did, only half of us wore ties). It's truly a personal choice. The only thing I noticed at Blu on this past cruise was a man was coming in on formal night with a nice cowboy hat, and he was not allowed to wear it in dinner. Don't worry about your wardrobe, and start figuring out which of the martinis you are going to order each night at the Martini Bar. Smooth sailing.

It's not required, but if you enjoy wearing it, bring it. :)

DH brings a sports coat for chic nights, I realize Chic does not apply to Blu) not necessary, but it looks nice. There will still be people in Tuxes on chic night depending on where you're sailing.

I often wear smart jeans in Blu with no issues at all, on our last cruise a couple work jogging bottoms and a sweatshirt every night, not my idea of smart but I've no doubt people may think my jeans aren't smart enough!

The answer is: why not?!

If you like to wear a suit, by all means do!

If you don´t, you don´t have to.

On Evening Chic nights I do and I was never alone nor did I feel out of place. All around the ship many people will be dressed up nice and you will not just spend the evening in BLU alone.

We have always cruised AquaClass and have had almost every meal at Blu. As a faithful to that restaurant, I would say "yes".. bring a suit. It doesn't have to be a tux but people are generally dressed a wee bit neater in Blu than the MDR. And without trying to be snobby, the other patrons appreciate the effort of people who actually dress for dinner. We all pay a lot of money for the extra perk of having a private dining room and for most cruisers, dressing for dinner becomes part of the cruising experience. Even on the casual night where the dress code is a little more relaxed, it's always nice to dress up a bit. Last cruise we were on there was a guy who consistently arrived in Blu wearing cargo pants or worn jeans, often topped with a NASCAR t-shirt or something like that. Staff said nothing. I suppose it becomes difficult to tell passengers they can't enter the dining room if their clothes are too rough, but we felt it was a bit unfair to the rest of the diners in the room who paid extra to have the Blu option and who took the time to plan for proper dinner attire.

I have to say I disagree with comments about wearing a suit is a must do. I've seen men in suits and tuxedos that are so old and ill fitting I wouldn't even do the gardening in them!

If you aren't contravening any Celebrity guidelines, wear what you are comfortable in, after all you are on holiday.

Evening Chic went into effect in December, 2015.

Evening Chic

Ladies: Cocktail dress, skits, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

Gentlemen: Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater. Optional - sport coat or blazer

Evening Chic means that you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should.

Speciality Restaurants (Including Blu for our AquaClass Guests)

The dress code at Celebrity's Speciality Restaurants is 'Smart Casual and Above' for every night of your cruise. Evening Chic attire is only required in the main dining room on your "Evening Chic" evenings.

But yet when you get the Daily news letter delivered to your room each evening, it doesn't specify that Evening Chic does not apply to Blu and that Blu diners only need to be "smart casual".

All I can add is that in my experience, most Blu diners wear at the very least "smart casual". Most women wear dresses or dress pants every night. About half the men wear jackets every night. Very few wear jeans. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen man wear jeans (on occasion a woman will wear dark designer jeans with a nice top). On evenings that the news letter designate as 'smart Casual", most men wear dress pants/ dress khakis and a button down shirt with a collar. yes.. sometimes they are Hawaiian patterned. On "evening chic" nights, they may but a jacket over it. When I person makes no effort at all.. like the guy who wore cargo pants and NASCAR t-shirt... THAT's what stands out in Blu. A tux would stand out because it looks sharp. Cargo pants and t-shirt stands out because it looks sloppy. A regular suit and tie, or dress pants and jacket )with or without tie) would not stand out at all no matter when the evening dress code is.

But yet when you get the Daily news letter delivered to your room each evening, it doesn't specify that Evening Chic does not apply to Blu and that Blu diners only need to be "smart casual".

All I can add is that in my experience, most Blu diners wear at the very least "smart casual". Most women wear dresses or dress pants every night. About half the men wear jackets every night. Very few wear jeans. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen man wear jeans (on occasion a woman will wear dark designer jeans with a nice top). On evenings that the news letter designate as 'smart Casual", most men wear dress pants/ dress khakis and a button down shirt with a collar. yes.. sometimes they are Hawaiian patterned. On "evening chic" nights, they may but a jacket over it. When I person makes no effort at all.. like the guy who wore cargo pants and NASCAR t-shirt... THAT's what stands out in Blu. A tux would stand out because it looks sharp. Cargo pants and t-shirt stands out because it looks sloppy. A regular suit and tie, or dress pants and jacket )with or without tie) would not stand out at all no matter when the evening dress code is.

Take an Alaska cruise, you’ll see very few with jackets. These are your opinions not Celebrity policy. Also, besides the wording in post #22 which specifically states Evening Chic only applies to MDR below is a link to the various restaurants on Celebrity. Click on any restaurant like Blu, Luminae or the Specialties and they tell you what the dress code is for that restaurant, all say smart casual except the MDR.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/eat-and-drink/restaurants-and-cafes

About half the men wear jackets every night. Very few wear jeans. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen man wear jeans (on occasion a woman will wear dark designer jeans with a nice top).

I take it you had a beverage package on your cruise? Looks like you took advantage of it and then some!