Norwegian Sun

bbryan5

The Norwegian Sun is currently in dry dock and getting Norwegian Edge enhancements. Can’t wait to sail on the Sun later this year after the renovations!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Keyword.. "AFTER" the renovation.. not "DURING" the renovation..:D

Anyone hear anything about a lot of construction on board the Sun on its last cruise?

The Sun was going into dry-dock. Instead of allowing enough dry-dock time, NCL authorized construction crews to do their prep work ahead of time during an active cruise. Complete disregard for the passengers who paid good money to enjoy their cruise of a lifetime- we are not talking about a small project. I was completely surprised by the pictures- vast areas of the ship were off limits and major construction equipment was used. Passengers had to endure endless noise and noxious fumes. They have a sun group set up on Facebook to show their displeasure complete with pictures and videos. Do a bit of checking- this is really worth researching. We had friends on another NCL cruise (South American cruise) who also had contractors on board causing similar disruption. They left the ship early because of this .NCL has a good product but they continually make decisions that demonstrate that they care very little about the customer

:evilsmile:

The Sun was going into dry-dock. Instead of allowing enough dry-dock time, NCL authorized construction crews to do their prep work ahead of time during an active cruise. Complete disregard for the passengers who paid good money to enjoy their cruise of a lifetime- we are not talking about a small project. I was completely surprised by the pictures- vast areas of the ship were off limits and major construction equipment was used. Passengers had to endure endless noise and noxious fumes. They have a sun group set up on Facebook to show their displeasure complete with pictures and videos. Do a bit of checking- this is really worth researching. We had friends on another NCL cruise (South American cruise) who also had contractors on board causing similar disruption. They left the ship early because of this .NCL has a good product but they continually make decisions that demonstrate that they care very little about the customer

As a publicly traded company, NCL's has to publish financial statements. It will be very easy for people to show that the work done on the Sun caused a drop in their business.

We will all see how this really affects their bottom line.

Numbers don't lie...the proof will be evident one way or the other.

Why do you say that? Just wondering.

He was a different type of corporate suit. For one, he was accessible to pax and crew. He answered three of my emails. Now some might say that he had an assistant do it but although they were pretty short and to the point they were very personable and they certainly felt sincere to me.

The crew loved him. Did you happen to see him on undercover boss?

The issues with the Sun are all over the news tonight. ( To find the news reports, Google "Norwegian Cruise Lines construction on Sun).

There were large areas of the ship closed off to passengers, loud construction noise, falling dust and debris, and very strong odors of fumes throughout the ship. NCL offered only 25% off a future NCL cruise.

The thread on page 2 here has a lot of information, but it is continually interrupted by posters jacking the thread to ask questions about the dry dock on the STAR. So, it is difficult to read, as the conversation goes back and forth between the SUN and the STAR, then some posters want to discuss the BREAKAWAY. The thread on page 2 has now been closed to new messages.

The issues with the Sun are all over the news tonight. ( To find the news reports, Google "Norwegian Cruise Lines construction on Sun).

There were large areas of the ship closed off to passengers, loud construction noise, falling dust and debris, and very strong odors of fumes throughout the ship. NCL offered only 25% off a future NCL cruise.

The thread on page 2 here has a lot of information, but it is continually interrupted by posters jacking the thread to ask questions about the dry dock on the STAR. So, it is difficult to read, as the conversation goes back and forth between the SUN and the STAR, then some posters want to discuss the BREAKAWAY. The thread on page 2 has now been closed to new messages.

It is in the news because the mainstream media have to embellish and sensationalize fake news to get viewers. We have been on cruises before and after dry docks and it is the same. Construction work being done in some areas of the ship. We take theae cruises because they are often unique one-off repositioning trips to port we have not been to. And we fully accept the potential of construction work. One thread takes about a “mutiny” when 100 of the 2200 passengers onboard showed up to a Captain Q&A. A whopping 4% turnout if you want real statistics.

It is in the news because the mainstream media have to embellish and sensationalize fake news to get viewers. We have been on cruises before and after dry docks and it is the same. Construction work being done in some areas of the ship. We take theae cruises because they are often unique one-off repositioning trips to port we have not been to. And we fully accept the potential of construction work. One thread takes about a “mutiny” when 100 of the 2200 passengers onboard showed up to a Captain Q&A. A whopping 4% turnout if you want real statistics.
A few points...have you seen the first hand accounts of passengers onboard? I would encourage you to review them and reconsider whether you would use words such as embellish or fake when describing this.

I too have sailed on repositioning cruises and have experienced some renovations. By way of example, RCCL closed the windjammer for the duration of our transatlantic cruise. An inconvenience? Yeah. A safety and health issue? Nah. They just served the windjammer buffets in a portion of the dining room.

Candidly, I have thankfully never experienced unsafe and unhealthy conditions that significantly sldisrupted my vacation such as severe chemical fumes and odors, paint chips, inch thick dust on surfaces and lounge chairs, welding being done in passenger views, insulation blowing in drinks and food, and loud sanding and grinding noises that disturb passengers. Also, if 1% of passengers experienced these unsafer and unhealthy conditions, isn't that too many?

Sent from my PH-1 using Forums mobile app

Fake news? So the passengers doctored all the photos/video of the construction on the ship?

These unfortunate Sun passengers have taken one for the team. Their misery may prevent this from happening on future cruises. IMHO there is a consistent pattern with NCL the last few years. FDR originally wanted to get $40 from each passenger. Then that was not enough. Cut backs everywhere and increased fees and doubling and even tripling Haven prices. So far the customers have not pushed back. With what they have gotten away with during the past 3 years why would anyone think doing a dry dock at sea would offend passengers? They even have made it difficult to remove auto gratuities and charge gratuities on cover charges. You can keep disregarding and taking your customers for granted but eventually they went too far. This Sun incident really gives you a peak into the mindset at corporate NCL these days. They really thought this would not be any problem or inconvenience for its customers. IMHO it just shows how out of touch they are. They probably have rationalized they have taken so much away from their customers over the last 3 years, what's a little dry dock at sea going to do?

Time will tell.

He was a different type of corporate suit. For one, he was accessible to pax and crew. He answered three of my emails. Now some might say that he had an assistant do it but although they were pretty short and to the point they were very personable and they certainly felt sincere to me.

The crew loved him. Did you happen to see him on undercover boss?

Agreed. Kevin Sheehan came across as more approachable, unlike DelF*** o (what DH and I call him). It's one thing to make the shareholders happy and save money, but when it affects your paying customers like it did on the Sun-and now the bad press they've received will more than likely hurt the business.

I have a few simple questions/comments to note or ask, and, aren't some of the observed activities during this 2 week cruise in potential violations and non-compliance with SOLAS ??

If some of these were land-based constructions, it would raise all sorts of red flags with EPA, OSHA and public health, and fire safety & building codes ... think for a moment. The fact is that these happened at sea and international water; and, NCL feel that they can get away with it - and, brush it off with their usual taglines. Sorry, it doesn't fly at all.

If in my earlier days doing the Joint Commission surprised/unannounced inspections (those in the field, you know what I am referring to) - the Environments of Care summary & findings, would, NOT be a pretty one. Feel free to flame and start waiving - I don't respond and getting on my IGNORE list is free.

I've been on the fence a few times regarding cruising with Norwegian, and to be honest this latest incident really tips the scales for me against it.

Seems to be maximize profit without concern for their passengers. These passengers didn't know about this significant, smelly eye sore of construction until AFTER they were on board. They were stuck. If this happened on any of the cruises I've been on, I would be looking for another cruise line.

Dan

I work in public relations and have been watching this story unfold. The story started out isolated in British Columbia, then spread quickly through Canada all the way to CTV. Yesterday it jumped to Newsweek and Fox in the U.S., and I saw it picked up in the UK, New Zealand and Australia.

NCL could have nipped the story in the bud when it was just in BC by offering a partial refund to the unhappy customers. But they're sticking to the same talking points which aren't working.

I had an unpleasant experience on United returning from a business trip; their error cost me a day with my kids on Mothers Day weekend. The only way I got any action was to tweet out my case number. They gave me a $150 voucher for a future flight. I'd already decided never to fly United again, but the voucher came in handy when my daughter needed to get to San Diego.

Let's say there were 2,000 people on the Sun. Some of them are gold or higher latitude members and will probably stay loyal. The rest will never book NCL again and will likely tell all their friends and family not to choose NCL. Now the story is spreading to key English-speaking markets. This will cost way more in lost business than a partial refund would have.

IMHO, NCL doesn't put a high enough priority on protecting its brand.

Let's say there were 2,000 people on the Sun. Some of them are gold or higher latitude members and will probably stay loyal. The rest will never book NCL again and will likely tell all their friends and family not to choose NCL. Now the story is spreading to key English-speaking markets. This will cost way more in lost business than a partial refund would have.

If what you say is true, then we will see NCL's bookings, revenues, and profits drop as they release their financials each quarter. We will all be able to plainly see just how much damage this will do to their bottom line.

OTOH, on the off-chance that this doesn't affect their bottom line, we'll have to come back and admit that these folks don't have as much power and influence as they think they do.

One way or the other, we will see. The numbers don't lie.