Norwegian Sun

bbryan5

They are doing the right thing and everyone should accept this and go on. They were wrong and this should make up for it. As best as they can. :)
Yes they are and good for NCL for stepping up on this.

Good for the passengers that experienced this unfortunate cruise. Now they will have an opportunity to have a much better experience.

And thank you to the passengers that sailed on Sun for their tireless efforts to reduce the likelihood that something like this ever happens again ...on NCL or any other cruise line.

Sent from my PH-1 using Forums mobile app

At Norwegian Cruise Line, the travel experience, safety and satisfaction of our guests is of the utmost importance to us. Recently Norwegian Sun underwent enhancements as part of our continuous efforts to ensure that every ship across the fleet delivers a consistently high-quality passenger experience. While we do our utmost to minimize any impact to our guests when these enhancements are being implemented, we do recognize that during a recent sailing, we did not meet the expectations of our guests, nor our own standards, for which we truly apologize. Norwegian Cruise Line is inviting the guests on the March 16th Norwegian Sun voyage to cruise again and fully experience all that Norwegian has to offer with a 100% future cruise credit of their fare paid, which can be applied towards another cruise of their choice from now through March 31, 2023. We realize that this gesture cannot replace their recent experience but do hope to have the opportunity to welcome them on board again soon.

Del Rio and NCL: you should have never done this dry dock at sea. Totally classless. Then you compound it with 25% credit. You are too dollar driven, and not customer driven. Now you are trying to save your Public Relation disaster by finally giving a 100% credit.

I know the ship was heading to dry dock, and getting a head start while at sea is a good idea. As long you do not have paying customers on board. NCL decided that preparing for dry dock would not be an inconvenient to passengers. Well you guessed wrong.

This may save you money and time while at sea, but this also keeps all types of inspection (EPA and OSHA regulations.) from taking place. SHAME on you. Maybe the Feds should meet all of your ships for a complete Coast Guard review. This is just in case you are not cutting corners on your other ships.

Edited by CruiseHealing

I believe they owed these guests a refund. And before anyone decides to jump on me, I am a past NCL cruiser. I probably will not be taking any more NCL cruises if this is the way they treat their guests. I'm sorry for all of those who had to deal with that cruise, including the staff. What did NCL do for their staff??? None of us know if any of the guests or staff are going to have any type of long term health problems from the open usage of the toxic chemicals.

All I can say is for the NCL cheer leading squad....enjoy your cruises and pray you don't end up on a disastrous cruise like this turned out to be.

Del Rio and NCL: you should have never done this dry dock at sea. Totally classless. Then you compound it with 25% credit. You are too dollar driven, and not customer driven. Now you are trying to save your Public Relation disaster by finally giving a 100% credit.

I know the ship was in dry dock, but then you went to sea to complete the remaining extensive renovations. This saves you money by not being in dry dock port, plus this kept way any type of inspection (EPA and OSHA regulations.). Then you accepted paying passengers thinking they would not mind the construction work. SHAME on you. The Feds should meet the ship for a full Coast Guard review.

Although I agree with your statements, the cruise was actually "pre" dry dock and they were getting a head start on the construction.

I know the ship was in dry dock, but then you went to sea to complete the remaining extensive renovations. This saves you money by not being in dry dock port, plus this kept way any type of inspection (EPA and OSHA regulations.). Then you accepted paying passengers thinking they would not mind the construction work. SHAME on you. The Feds should meet the ship for a full Coast Guard review.

CruiseHealing, you are welcome to be critical, but please have correct facts. The ship had not been dry docked when this happened. In fact, this happened on the March 16 sailng, which was the sailng immediately prior to drydock. NCL was evidently attempting to accelerate the work to a revenue cruise which didn't work out very well.

Sent from my PH-1 using Forums mobile app

Sorry for getting the facts wrong, I have corrcted it.

But that does not change the fact that NCLs action are inexcusable. People work all year for a vacation. Their expectation for a cruise vacation does not include being in an active construction zone.

Edited by CruiseHealing

It just got fixed. Law suits are going nowhere. About two people will bother to file a law suit after this news, if even that. People who watched a story on local news already forgot about it.

American consumers have the attention span of a gnat. All you have to do is look at the recent FaceBook scandal and see if it affects anyone using that social media venue. Nope. Facebookers gonna Facebook, NCL'ers gonna cruise again. NCL stock will continue to rise and pay for my cruises with the profits.

The difference here is that what NCL did made people sick. Even with the credit people will be suing. It is the way of the world.

The credit is NOT a nice gesture, nor is it sufficient.

Sufficient would be a FULL refund of fare, PLUS some kind of future discount on a later cruise.

Passengers did not get what they paid for, and thus are due a refund.

This situation was particular egregious because it was a voluntary action on NCL's part to screw the Sun passengers with this construction, rather than some sort of unforeseeable weather or mechanical issue.

They really are getting out-of-touch with what passengers want and will tolerate.

Glad they are giving 100% refund, I also hope some heads rolled over this. Despicable.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Having heads lost also means less people who remember in their own mind what they did wrong. I would rather have them remember it and be able to yell back next time someone new comes up with idea that moves to close to this concept again. People make mistakes, the idea was bad, the reaction was bad. Fix, say sorry and move on with this shared memory in the company on what not to do again :)

Hope people on that trip can now remove the bad memories with good ones i hope they also had on that trip and enjoy the next semi-free one.

Daniel.

At Norwegian Cruise Line, the travel experience, safety and satisfaction of our guests is of the utmost importance to us. Recently Norwegian Sun underwent enhancements as part of our continuous efforts to ensure that every ship across the fleet delivers a consistently high-quality passenger experience. While we do our utmost to minimize any impact to our guests when these enhancements are being implemented, we do recognize that during a recent sailing, we did not meet the expectations of our guests, nor our own standards, for which we truly apologize. Norwegian Cruise Line is inviting the guests on the March 16th Norwegian Sun voyage to cruise again and fully experience all that Norwegian has to offer with a 100% future cruise credit of their fare paid, which can be applied towards another cruise of their choice from now through March 31, 2023. We realize that this gesture cannot replace their recent experience but do hope to have the opportunity to welcome them on board again soon.

Much better offer and more importantly better worded. Well done

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is not going away, it may go down as one of the worst PR nightmares in modern cruise history. The 100% credit could have work if done while the passengers still on the cruise.

Butmore and more media is getting hold of this. It has hit Fox News nowand like Fox or hate it one thing is 100% true with them. When theyget news stories like this, they are like a dog with a bone, they donot let go.”

Many in the United States may not know Fox News outside the United states is done mostly with no commercials, and no cutting to local Fox News Stations. So to fill the 20 plus minutes every hour of dead space

they run video human interest stories like this. It is likely this video could run many times a day for the next year plus, every time doing damage to NCL as they do not look good here.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/04/05/furious-norwegian-cruise-line-passengers-slam-ships-horrible-nonstop-construction-zone.html

We are booked on the Norwegian Jewel next month for our 40th wedding anniversary. (Ironically, the rare 9-day cruise was originally scheduled for the Sun, but switched to Jewel when the Sun was deployed to the Caribbean.) I'm not very concerned about the same thing happening. The Jewel is a newer ship, and I don't think NCL would try this on an Alaskan run.

This cruise will put me over the Latitudes threshold to silver, and for that reason we'll probably stick with NCL - but with our eyes open. Next year my mom and I are bringing my brother and his wife on their first-ever cruise and I planned to book the Pearl. The Pearl is a bit old, but not as old as the Sun and the dates we have planned are well into the Alaska season, so I'm not too worried.

But I will have my travel agent check in with NCL on a regular basis to make sure no undue amount of construction will be underway.

Sheryl

TBH Silver gets you little on NCL. Also, Pearl is a year younger than Jewel.

Well, it isn't about caring about NCL's stock or profits...those items are just factual indicators of the success of the "I'm never sailing NCL" grandstanding that seems to be gripping a lot of people.

We'll see if all those people really do cause a loss in NCL's business or if it is just a lot of hot air.

The thing I think is funny is the people who want to publicly declare that they won't sail on NCL, yet they still want to spend their time on an NCL forum. If I really wasn't going to sail on a line, I wouldn't bother hanging out on their forum either.

Agree,most of us don't spend time on boards we have no personal interest in. I know I am not on the luxury line boards for instance because I will never sail on one. I have noticed a few on her who haven't even sailed on NCL, but they have time to wander over here and put their 2 cents in. That is about all it is worth.

For those who keep saying they should have offered a refund, think about what you are saying. of course that would have been great for the cruisers but the offer of a credit on their next cruise is what almost any company would have offered. The idea is to bring the guest back. With the disaster the Sun cruise must have been, offering a refund would have sealed a loss of a lot of customers. Offering a credit on another cruise gives the cruise line a second chance. It is like going to a restaurant and having a bad meal. How often do you get your money back? Almost never, but a free meal on your return that is often offered. Think about it? the cruiser is getting a good deal on another cruise and the cruise line might save some of the clients that were so unhappy. It is a fair offer and a win/win for everyone.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Yesterday I saw the story of the construction on the Sun... Now I wonder what will happen in 9 day when I board the Breakaway for a TA that brings it to the shipyard for updates & repairs.

I would WORRY a lot.. Should try to cancel. Not take a chance. :(:(

I work in the construction industry shore side. Have been in safety , including 12 years with OSHA.

from seeing the pictures, this was not appropriate on NCLs part.

Whether they violated any laws is difficult to tell. I would have be there and conduct air monitoring.

That being said, it is obvious the work involved hazardous chemicals, noise, fumes and dust. All of which are regulated. People have different sensitivity to fumes and dust, There is a risk to some even if levels are less than regulations allow. I did investigations where people had allergic type reactions to substances at levels below OSHA limits .

Why risk this on a passenger vessel.

My concern would also be the increased fire hazard from the proxucts and activities such as grinding and welding. Plus increased trash and debris on board with 2,000 guests on board.

Why risk this increased hazard.

I love NCL, but i am very sad to see they allowed this to happen.

Agree,most of us don't spend time on boards we have no personal interest in. I know I am not on the luxury line boards for instance because I will never sail on one. I have noticed a few on her who haven't even sailed on NCL, but they have time to wander over here and put their 2 cents in. That is about all it is worth.

For those who keep saying they should have offered a refund, think about what you are saying. of course that would have been great for the cruisers but the offer of a credit on their next cruise is what almost any company would have offered. The idea is to bring the guest back. With the disaster the Sun cruise must have been, offering a refund would have sealed a loss of a lot of customers. Offering a credit on another cruise gives the cruise line a second chance. It is like going to a restaurant and having a bad meal. How often do you get your money back? Almost never, but a free meal on your return that is often offered. Think about it? the cruiser is getting a good deal on another cruise and the cruise line might save some of the clients that were so unhappy. It is a fair offer and a win/win for everyone.

If you don't get paid to champion NCL, then you should.:rolleyes:

Sorry, but the idea is to treat the guest the way they would want to treated and the way they advertise their cruises! NCL did not deliver the "exceptional" experience that they proclaim they do, not even close to it.

As a stockholder you should be irate and ashamed!

I work in the construction industry shore side. Have been in safety , including 12 years with OSHA.

from seeing the pictures, this was not appropriate on NCLs part.

Whether they violated any laws is difficult to tell. I would have be there and conduct air monitoring.

That being said, it is obvious the work involved hazardous chemicals, noise, fumes and dust. All of which are regulated. People have different sensitivity to fumes and dust, There is a risk to some even if levels are less than regulations allow. I did investigations where people had allergic type reactions to substances at levels below OSHA limits .

Why risk this on a passenger vessel.

My concern would also be the increased fire hazard from the proxucts and activities such as grinding and welding. Plus increased trash and debris on board with 2,000 guests on board.

Why risk this increased hazard.

I love NCL, but i am very sad to see they allowed this to happen.

Thank You for your insight.

It's my understanding that one day they had a barbecue on the pool deck, which of course is right under the construction area.

There appears to be a huge problem with observing safety on that cruise.

If you don't get paid to champion NCL, then you should.:rolleyes:

Sorry, but the idea is to treat the guest the way they would want to treated and the way they advertise their cruises! NCL did not deliver the "exceptional" experience that they proclaim they do, not even close to it.

As a stockholder you should be irate and ashamed!

well first of all; as a stock holder, at this point I can't be too upset. They are doing better this year than the other mass marketed lines, but that is not the point.

Did I say, anywhere it was right or the passengers were treated right? of course I didn't, I think you need to go back and read what I said. I simply said, business wise I understand exactly why NCL did what they did. If you have any experience in the travel or hospitality industry you too would understand. :rolleyes: I think I have said about all I am going to on this topic, plus, if you had read everything I have said in the past, you would know I do not always agree with what NCL or any other line does, but I am also a realist.

Thank You for your insight ... There appears to be a huge problem with observing safety on that cruise.

NCL got away with doing that stuff on high seas, pretty sure of that. What's not clear is whether from a life safety standpoint, could anything be done at all at the embarkation and disembarkation ports, as they would be loading and unloading those crates off the trailers ... oh, well. Too late and I doubt that calling the US Coast Guard would do anything, even if the MSDS labels & warnings are on those barrels & drums, etc.

There has to be something in SOLAS about it ... the mariner-engineer familiar with the regulations, would, probably not comment on this.

Uh oh MKing ...
LOL, I hate them too when we get inspected at our sites. Don't tell her. I don't usually pack N95 masks & PPE, etc. going on a cruise, but this was just plain ridiculous.

Just me speaking, but...

To me, this apology along with the 100% future cruise credit is a just response to the recent incident on the Sun.

It doesn’t change the experience that the cruisers had on the Sun, and hopefully lessons were learned, but I do feel that a full future cruise is justified. Well done.

Dan