Norwegian Sun

bbryan5

The thing I think is funny is the people who want to publicly declare that they won't sail on NCL, yet they still want to spend their time on an NCL forum. If I really wasn't going to sail on a line, I wouldn't bother hanging out on their forum either.

People like me? I’ll tell you how that went down. I read the article about the Sun on the news, and came here to see how people were reacting to the news. This is a discussion forum isn’t it? I have been seriously interested in sailing Norwegian in the past asking quite a few questions in this part of the cruise critic forum. However, this latest incident is solidifying my reason for not cruising NCL.

Dan

I was seeing the most outrageous thing on youtube. Passengers on the Sun reported that one bar on ship was closed down to public and became a "Construction supervisor/safety office."

WTH

This ship was a floating construction site and the saddest part is NCL still wont admit that.

It was reported the captain was hired only days before the cruise. If true, its a very sad fact. Wonder if the previous captain quit or refused to cruise with the construction site thus NCL was forced to hire an outside captain.

If true, just WOW

It was not reported or said the Captain was inexperienced. You agree the captain was brought specifically to Miami to sail the ship? No? It was speculation as to why the Sun captain did not sail this cruise. I think many are curious. Before you yell WRONG, read the words first.

NO Normal rotations for Norwegian Captains are: 10 weeks on board a ship followed by a 10 week vacation. This was a NORMAL rotation. Norwegian works a little like the military. Any staff is assigned to Ship A for several contracts then assigned Ship B. Captain Grbic had been Captain on The Dawn- then assigned to The Sun now. Captain Rony Borg who had been Captain on The Sun is currently Captain on The Dawn. The two Captains just traded places. Nothing usual about that.

At Norwegian Cruise Line, the travel experience, safety and satisfaction of our guests is of the utmost importance to us. Recently Norwegian Sun underwent enhancements as part of our continuous efforts to ensure that every ship across the fleet delivers a consistently high-quality passenger experience. While we do our utmost to minimize any impact to our guests when these enhancements are being implemented, we do recognize that during a recent sailing, we did not meet the expectations of our guests, nor our own standards, for which we truly apologize. Norwegian Cruise Line is inviting the guests on the March 16th Norwegian Sun voyage to cruise again and fully experience all that Norwegian has to offer with a 100% future cruise credit of their fare paid, which can be applied towards another cruise of their choice from now through March 31, 2023. We realize that this gesture cannot replace their recent experience but do hope to have the opportunity to welcome them on board again soon.

At Norwegian Cruise Line, the travel experience, safety and satisfaction of our guests is of the utmost importance to us. Recently Norwegian Sun underwent enhancements as part of our continuous efforts to ensure that every ship across the fleet delivers a consistently high-quality passenger experience. While we do our utmost to minimize any impact to our guests when these enhancements are being implemented, we do recognize that during a recent sailing, we did not meet the expectations of our guests, nor our own standards, for which we truly apologize. Norwegian Cruise Line is inviting the guests on the March 16th Norwegian Sun voyage to cruise again and fully experience all that Norwegian has to offer with a 100% future cruise credit of their fare paid, which can be applied towards another cruise of their choice from now through March 31, 2023. We realize that this gesture cannot replace their recent experience but do hope to have the opportunity to welcome them on board again soon.

WOWSA!!! Good for you NCL....Very Very Nice!!!

Good job NCL...way to step up. It's not a refund but it's something.

Nice gesture. I hope lessons are learned. However the double speak still is troubling. "We do our best to minimize any impact to guests when enhancements are implemented." That is a false statement. Clearly the evidence of the Sun sailing proved that. It would have been better with a more direct apology and state this WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN. Many guests may not take your offer and want nothing to do with NCL again. However its an acceptable offer in my book.

* Apologize

* Offer refund or acceptable compensation

* Promise to make changes

Good customer service should not be so difficult.

Nice gesture. I hope lessons are learned.

* Apologize

* Offer refund or acceptable compensation

* Promise to make changes

Good customer service should not be so difficult.

It really is about time NCL, love ya but gotta say.... you took your time on this one... maybe too much time. Hope you haven't lost too many customers due to your poor managerial choices and final decisions.

Good luck NCL

We'll be watching.

This is a very nice gesture and I understand you want guest to give you guys a second chance. However, this no longer may be fixable this way. It's a little too late the damage has been done. Guest are ready to file lawsuits. Sorry :(

Edited by Georgie562

Wow, I'm impressed. Not only did they go from 25% to 100%, but they have 5 years to use it.

Wow, I'm impressed. Not only did they go from 25% to 100%, but they have 5 years to use it.

I agree, pretty impressive; however, for those who actually endured the cruise, it may not be enough... sad that it took so long... I'm an NCL lover but wow... even 2 days ago would have been better and more likely accepted.

I'll just add that in Oct. 2015, the Star had to limp past Miami (no scheduled stop) to Tampa due to Azipod issues, those of us in suites received full refund of our 1 day shortened cruise, plus the 25% discount on our next cruise. Now there really wasn't much inconvenience, sure some had missed an excursion but really, everything was working well and the ship was just fine. Those of us who chose to stay the extra day in Tampa (NCL offered help arranging flights for those who wanted to leave on arrival in Tampa) were given a free night at the wonderful Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel & Marina plus $100 credit to be used for meals.

The reason I mention this is just to compare it with the Sun experience and show how it really has deminished... sorry NCL... still love ya but.... am I missing anything here? Things changing maybe?

Edited by All-ready2cruise

This is a very nice gesture and I understand you want guest to give you guys a second chance. However, this is no longer fixable this way. It's a little too late the damage has been done. Guest are ready to file lawsuits. Sorry :(

It just got fixed. Law suits are going nowhere. About two people will bother to file a law suit after this news, if even that. People who watched a story on local news already forgot about it.

American consumers have the attention span of a gnat. All you have to do is look at the recent FaceBook scandal and see if it affects anyone using that social media venue. Nope. Facebookers gonna Facebook, NCL'ers gonna cruise again. NCL stock will continue to rise and pay for my cruises with the profits.

It just got fixed. Law suits are going nowhere. About two people will bother to file a law suit after this news, if even that. People who watched a story on local news already forgot about it.
Not to mention that those who saw the report, as to what they are giving the passengers, are going to think that NCL gave them a lot. And if they take the legal route, they could get a lot less, after legal fees.

This is a very nice gesture and I understand you want guest to give you guys a second chance. However, this is no longer may be fixable this way. It's a little too late the damage has been done. Guest are ready to file lawsuits. Sorry :(

I doubt that very much. And I think the NCL brand will survive. It’s not like the stock plummeted. Stock today closed 5/8 pt down from a month ago on 3/5.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not to mention that those who saw the report, as to what they are giving the passengers, are going to think that NCL gave them a lot. And if they take the legal route, they could get a lot less, after legal fees.

Very true.

As a person that cruises 2 to 3 times a year I would of probably forgiven NCL, take the 100% credit and run towards my PC and book my next cruise. I'm glad NCL turned this around but as usual not everyone will be satisfied.

Oh my goodness....give it some space and time. There is nothng like a cruise. Refuse a free cruise??? I dont think so. :cool:

I'd love to see the Mods post the offer to the Boards and Highlight it so its not lost in all this negativity as this is a very postive event by NCL as compared to so much doom and gloom that has been for days. Maybe that's only occuring in the FB world though where it is isolated and can stand out.

This offer and decision should have its own star power.

Edited by MizDemeanor

A few points...have you seen the first hand accounts of passengers onboard? I would encourage you to review them and reconsider whether you would use words such as embellish or fake when describing this.

I too have sailed on repositioning cruises and have experienced some renovations. By way of example, RCCL closed the windjammer for the duration of our transatlantic cruise. An inconvenience? Yeah. A safety and health issue? Nah. They just served the windjammer buffets in a portion of the dining room.

Candidly, I have thankfully never experienced unsafe and unhealthy conditions that significantly sldisrupted my vacation such as severe chemical fumes and odors, paint chips, inch thick dust on surfaces and lounge chairs, welding being done in passenger views, insulation blowing in drinks and food, and loud sanding and grinding noises that disturb passengers. Also, if 1% of passengers experienced these unsafer and unhealthy conditions, isn't that too many?

Sent from my PH-1 using Forums mobile app

I just saw news coverage of the "cruise" and I don't blame the passengers one bit. This, in my opinion, was reprehensible treatment of their passengers. But hey! NCL DID offer them a 25% off their next cruise!!! :D

Geezzzz.......

Randall Flagg ---You missed it!!!!

Very true.

As a person that cruises 2 to 3 times a year I would of probably forgiven NCL, take the 100% credit and run towards my PC and book my next cruise. I'm glad NCL turned this around but as usual not everyone will be satisfied.

You are correct, not everyone is happy. On their FB page on poster not only wants this, but their port charges and taxes paid, their airfare refunded, their hotel before and after the cruise (because they had no choice but to stay in a hotel, because the cruise was 4 hours delayed) refunded, UBP and SDP gratuities refunded, refunded DSC, etc. and that is what they want. Some posting that they are happy and those that aren't, might as well spin that wheel of fate and see where it lands. Edited by NLH Arizona

If this is true NCL should post this information on their home page at NCL.com.

I think Cruise Critc should post it on this board as true, as a public service. There have been so many threads but none that makes this message stand out, and I do not do FB for my cruise fix.

Glad to see damage control was initiated. Hopefully they’ll analyze their future actions so they don’t need a reaction. When they do require a reaction they’ll fare much better if they get it right first time around.

The team that makes decisions to cut costs and maximize profits should meet with the team that protects the brand. A proper pr team along with a little more research on what makes the customers happy. Ncl has a great product. Not everyone is interested in a bargain rate vacation or an occasional upsell score to the Haven. Some of us are willing to pay extra for fantastic; vacations, service and quality. Would be great to see a little higher quality choices on offer even if they charge extra ie bumping up speciality dining quality and pricing. Sure they’ll complain. Those kinds of fee increases and related grumblings are expected but a vacation like what the Sun passengers got was not.

pre and post dry dock sailings are always less desired. The Sun pre dry dock was the epitome of this but not typically the case with Ncl or any other line. I think ncl’s revised offer shows they really are trying to make it right.