lax airport to san pedro cruise port

dkrysansk

It's a short cruise and over before you settle in almost. There's the blow hole in Ensenada. The best way to get there and cheapest is to take the shuttle for $3 from the dock into town. They will try to upsell you to the blow hole for about $15 which is a bargain. If you try to get a cab in town it will run you over $55.

Hi,

Just want some good tips about 3 day LA-Esenada-LA.

Economical way to get to San Pedro cruise port

Thank you for any help given..:)

LAX to San Pedro, book one of the shuttles, Prime Time or Super Shuttle In the area of $20/pp. Takes about an hour w/o traffic and w/o stops along the way.

First the super shuttle is good...but for like $55-60 you can get a private limo for up to 3 right at the curb.....fast and smooth after LAX baggage The limos pick up ar baggage claim curb. The super shuttles require a long walk to a special pick up area and cross several lanes of traffic.

Now Ensenada.... I lived in San Diego for many years and most of us who did would never dream of going there on a bet. The reality is it is a border town at the terminus of the drug cartels shipping. There are several cartels/gangs waging active war for turf and customers. Huge crime problem and the cops are part of the deal...

The new industry between shipment's is kidnapping wealthy looking people. I had friends who touted it as safe...one was murdered and robbed in broad daylight downtown and another just disappeared. Me....I would stay on the ship because you could wake up naked or dead or both in some alley or dumpster.

If you do go stay in groups, don't get into taxies that offer yup a ride...pretend your visting Bagdad with Mexicans The only reason the ship stops there is because its a law it has too...because there is nothing there worth 10 min of your time......

Whatever you do.....be smart....real smart

Look on the Mexican Riviera board for Ensenada suggestions.

The wine tour is very nice.

The Bufadora (blowhole) is interesting. Only go during/after a storm, otherwise you'll have to wait for the spectacular blows.

First the super shuttle is good...but for like $55-60 you can get a private limo for up to 3 right at the curb.....fast and smooth after LAX baggage The limos pick up ar baggage claim curb. The super shuttles require a long walk to a special pick up area and cross several lanes of traffic.

Now Ensenada.... I lived in San Diego for many years and most of us who did would never dream of going there on a bet. The reality is it is a border town at the terminus of the drug cartels shipping. There are several cartels/gangs waging active war for turf and customers. Huge crime problem and the cops are part of the deal...

The new industry between shipment's is kidnapping wealthy looking people. I had friends who touted it as safe...one was murdered and robbed in broad daylight downtown and another just disappeared. Me....I would stay on the ship because you could wake up naked or dead or both in some alley or dumpster.

If you do go stay in groups, don't get into taxies that offer yup a ride...pretend your visting Bagdad with Mexicans The only reason the ship stops there is because its a law it has too...because there is nothing there worth 10 min of your time......

I've always found the shuttles within 20' either way of the doors :D

Cato :)

Wow, I'm a single female and every time I come to Ensenada I venture into town alone to get tacos. If you stay in the tourist area of town it's safe from kidnappers and murders. You may find a pickpocketer, but what major city doesn't have those.

I think you are overreacting just a little bit. I'm not certain of the statistics on how many cruise passengers are kidnapped and murdered every week in Ensenada, but I would guess it's not many.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Wow, we've been to Ensenada a bunch of times with zero problems. We've walked into town each time... must have missed the roving gangs and their war..:rolleyes: Oh, and this itinerary features Ensenada. It's the only port of call.

To the OP, if you like wine, try the Princess Two Winery Tour. It's inexpensive, you get a free bottle of wine and you can buy some very good wines for very good prices. They have great olive oil too! And sure, be smart when ashore, but that being said, LA is probably more dangerous than Ensenada.

Oh joy! So funny but I know you are serious. I just can't wait now for my trip in April. You won't have to remind me now to take off my jewelry and wear dirty jeans. LOL

Hopefully you won't have any problem with your flight. Personally, if I was coming in for a cruise out of SP/LA, and wasn't the hour drive from our house, I would come in at least a day ahead and stay by the port. Some of the hotels there (Doubletree and Crown Plaza) will shuttle you to the World Cruise Center for free the next day...and you won't be stressed out by the thought of flight delays (and dealing with our infamous traffic jams).

As for Ensenada, been there done that far too many times (I think now seven times off of a cruise ship) and it's not interesting to me. Most of the times (all but twice when we went walking around and went on a "city tour"), we got off the ship long enough to go to the marketplace on the pier, and the last two times (the Hawaiian RTs) we treated the last day of our cruise as a stationary day at sea (and from the look of the pools, etc., about 80 to 90 per cent of the other passengers did, too).

Do what you wish.... I am the messenger from many year experience. Take it or leave it....but it is the real fact. As dirty harry said." are you feeling lucky?" All I can go on it the real experienced I and others have had. You may not have them bur again you might

I only offer them as the reality that is have personaly experienced over a decade........ do as you wish.

I will tell you this there is no way in He*l I would ever venture back down into that sewer ....ok ! You don't have enough money to tempt me!

Have you read the Us visitors gone missing every week? The visitors arrested by the corrupt police and held for years ? The shoot outs? They don't make the press; sanitized.....it is what it is.

God bless you all the happy and holy Christmas.... but realize there is another world ....

Do what you wish.... I am the messenger from many year experience. Take it or leave it....but it is the real fact. As dirty harry said." are you feeling lucky?" All I can go on it the real experienced I and others have had. You may not have them bur again you might

I only offer them as the reality that is have personaly experienced over a decade........ do as you wish.

I will tell you this there is no way in He*l I would ever venture back down into that sewer ....ok ! You don't have enough money to tempt me!

Have you read the Us visitors gone missing every week? The visitors arrested by the corrupt police and held for years ? The shoot outs? They don't make the press; sanitized.....it is what it is.

God bless you all the happy and holy Christmas.... but realize there is another world ....

You sound so unhappy. :( Do you know where we could find the official statistics about tourists killed and tortured in Ensenada? I always like facts more than hearsay.

Having lived in San Diego for 20 years. I have concerns about Mexico and would not drive from San Diego to Ensenada (mostly because of traffic issues, insurance, and corrupt police), but I have absolutely no concerns about taking the cruise there, walking from the cruise ship to the tourist area or taking a ships tour.

Cruise lines have not hesitated at all in dropping Mexican ports when they felt that they were not safe.

Edited by RDC1

You forgot "Punk".

Have you actually done this trip recently?

First, the Supershuttle pickup is not far from the door out of the baggage claim - certainly not 'cross several lanes of traffic'.

And second, I have been asking for price quotes from a number of car services since I will be doing this trip shortly and they are all coming in at around $90 or more. The online quote from Supershuttle is less than $20.

And second, I have been asking for price quotes from a number of car services since I will be doing this trip shortly and they are all coming in at around $90 or more. The online quote from Supershuttle is less than $20.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just as an FYI - current up to 4 people/luggage private car one-way LAX/San Pedro transfer prices show as $55, $59 & $83 plus tip with reliable LAX limo lines. Check it out.

Wow, I'm a single female and every time I come to Ensenada I venture into town alone to get tacos. If you stay in the tourist area of town it's safe from kidnappers and murders. You may find a pickpocketer, but what major city doesn't have those.

I wandered fairly extensively in Ensenada before taking a taxi to the blowhole (I recommend it, the shopping street on the way down is worth looking around in. The churros are great!). I never felt unsafe.

Well, I think Hawaiidan has legitimate concerns though I don't think there is need for panic but need for awareness.

These exerpts are from the US State Department:

Additionally, according to a widely publicized study by the agency responsible for national statistics (INEGI, the National Institute of Statistics and Geography), Mexico suffered an estimated 105,682 kidnappings in 2012; only 1,317 were reported to the police. Police have been implicated in some of these incidents. Both local and expatriate communities have been victimized. Nearly 70 kidnappings of U.S. citizens were reported to the U.S. Embassy and consulates in Mexico between January and June of 2014.

......The number of U.S. citizens reported to the Department of State as murdered in Mexico was 71 in 2012 and 81 in 2013.

Baja California: Tijuana, Rosarito, Ensenada and Mexicali are major cities/travel destinations in the state of Baja California - Exercise caution in the northern state of Baja California, particularly at night. Criminal activity along highways and at beaches is a continuing security concern. In 2013, homicide rates in Tijuana and Rosarito increased 48 percent and 67 percent compared to the previous year, according to the Baja State Secretariat for Public Security, and both cities experienced further increases in homicide rates during the first half of 2014. While most of these homicides appeared to be targeted criminal organization assassinations, turf battles between criminal groups have resulted in violent crime in areas frequented by U.S. citizens. Shooting incidents, in which innocent bystanders have been injured, have occurred during daylight hours.

For the full eyeopening read and precautions follow the link

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/alertswarnings/mexico-travel-warning.html

Edited by lolane1
addition

Well, I think Hawaiidan has legitimate concerns though I don't think there is need for panic but need for awareness.

These exerpts are from the US State Department:

Additionally, according to a widely publicized study by the agency responsible for national statistics (INEGI, the National Institute of Statistics and Geography), Mexico suffered an estimated 105,682 kidnappings in 2012; only 1,317 were reported to the police. Police have been implicated in some of these incidents. Both local and expatriate communities have been victimized. Nearly 70 kidnappings of U.S. citizens were reported to the U.S. Embassy and consulates in Mexico between January and June of 2014.

Baja California: Tijuana, Rosarito, Ensenada and Mexicali are major cities/travel destinations in the state of Baja California - Exercise caution in the northern state of Baja California, particularly at night. Criminal activity along highways and at beaches is a continuing security concern. In 2013, homicide rates in Tijuana and Rosarito increased 48 percent and 67 percent compared to the previous year, according to the Baja State Secretariat for Public Security, and both cities experienced further increases in homicide rates during the first half of 2014. While most of these homicides appeared to be targeted criminal organization assassinations, turf battles between criminal groups have resulted in violent crime in areas frequented by U.S. citizens. Shooting incidents, in which innocent bystanders have been injured, have occurred during daylight hours.

For the full eyeopening read and precautions follow the link

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/alertswarnings/mexico-travel-warning.html

Basicly this really covers all of Mexico.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Basicly this really covers all of Mexico.

Yes, the LINK covers ALL of Mexico. The warning for the area specific to Ensenada is quoted. I suggest you read the entire article if you want info on ALL of Mexico. The statistics quoted cover all of Mexico.

Yes, the LINK covers ALL of Mexico. The warning for the area specific to Ensenada is quoted. I suggest you read the entire article if you want info on ALL of Mexico. The statistics quoted cover all of Mexico.

Don't need info on all of Mexico.....

I am saying the wording basicly covers all of Mexico anyway. That stuff is occuring all over. ;)