Best itinerary and ship?

PTKeil

I know this is subjective, but I would like opinions and thoughts. Really considering 3 trips...

1. Eastern Caribbean

2. Alaska

3. Panama Canal

What are your thoughts on ships and itineraries that are the best?

Considering fall break next year.

I know this is subjective, but I would like opinions and thoughts. Really considering 3 trips...

1. Eastern Caribbean

2. Alaska

3. Panama Canal

Impossible to answer without knowing your travel preferences and limitations.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is just my opinion but I think Alaska is the best area to cruise out of those 3.....that is, if this is a one-time deal.

As for the cruise line, like FbF said, that depends very much on your preferences. There is no one answer on what line is best. What are you looking for in a cruise? Casual? Formal? Is entertainment important? Things like that.

When is fall break in your area? If its October, then cross Alaska off the list- it's too late in the year. It's also the height of Hurricane season in the Caribbean. So scratch that one. That leaves the Panama Canal cruise. Should be fairly easy to find out which ships are sailing that route in October.

Is the Panama Canal option for a full transit, starting or ending on the west coast and the opposite being Florida or were you thinking of a partial transit with that cruise starting and ending in Fla? The first would most likely include some west coast Mexico ports and the latter a lot more Caribbean ports. Are particular ports of significant importance to you?

Is the Panama Canal option for a full transit, starting or ending on the west coast and the opposite being Florida or were you thinking of a partial transit with that cruise starting and ending in Fla? The first would most likely include some west coast Mexico ports and the latter a lot more Caribbean ports. Are particular ports of significant importance to you?

If value is important, and you have east/west coast friends/relatives, Panama Canal would be a good choice.

We did SF to NY on Oceania. Caught a ride from home to the SF port (which we can see across the Bay from our south windows) then stayed in NYC post cruise to visit friends and the "old haunts." Only problem was that the ship disembarked during the middle of the September startup of the UN General Assembly AND Fashion Week. Traffic and hotels were a definite challenge.

How long has it been since you had school aged children?

The other issue is the "moving target" that is the "college break." Firstly, there are academic terms split as quarters, trimesters or semesters. Even then, semesters may be true semesters with a Christmas to New Year's "week" off OR a 4-1-4 arrangement with most of January added on to that holiday break.

In the spring, the "break" can be the "traditional" pre/post Easter or dead center in that "spring" term.

Bottom line is that there are tons of education related "breaks."

Unless "fall break" means September, there won't be Alaska cruises. And though there are still cruises in Alaska in September, the weather is more variable and the cruise season is winding down so some excursions/activities aren't available.

How long is this break? Because if it's a week, that's probably not long enough for Panama Canal coming from the US. Looking at a couple of mainstream lines, the shortest was 10 days for a partial transit, more for a full transit. There are 7 or 8 day Panama Canal/Costa Rica cruises on small ship lines (Windstar and UnCruise). Fall would be too early for the ones on Windstar. UnCruise has some in November. That would be more money (though Windstar did have some good specials on the ones for this season so perhaps that will happen next year).

So for a one week break in Fall, it may be that Alaska and Panama Canal aren't an option. There are some New England cruises in the fall.

You don't mention anything about yourself...your age? Who you would be traveling with? interest in activities or nightlife? Have you cruised before?

A cruise ship is both a destination in itself and transportation to different ports. Both are important to consider.

If you are younger than 40 and a new to cruising...go with a Caribbean cruise. Its a good introduction to cruising and offers something for everyone. Caribbean cruises usually attract passengers of a variety of ages and offer a variety of activities. .

I just got off a full transit Panama Canal cruise and it was great...but it was a 15 day cruise and most of the fellow passengers were older (65+) and although there were many nighttime activities offered, there were not many passengers out and about after about 8:30. Very few passengers under the age of 60.

I've done 3 Alaskan cruises and loved each one. If you decide not to go on the Caribbean this would be my second choice, but not past mid September so I don't know if that will fit into your schedule.

Thank you, everyone! You brought up some great points I had no considered. We are in our 40s and love travel.

Entertainment, quality ports, dining and pools are all important to us so we want a ship with lots of amenities.

I will have to look into the lengths of Panama Canal. That sounds very intriguing, but with my husband's job we really only have 7 to 10 days.

You didn't mention budget and whether you w ant a ship with lots of organized activivites, more casual dining than white table cloth or vice versa, enjoy sitting a t pool or beach and getinng sun, from where are you traveling to meet the ship? Is travel to one itinerary easierr or harder/ more costly?

I will have to look into the lengths of Panama Canal. That sounds very intriguing, but with my husband's job we really only have 7 to 10 days.

I agree with all of the previous posters...all of your options have great possibilities.

Panama Canal seems to have risen to the surface, and it is a fabulous trip.

I would comment that the fall is still well within the rainy season for the Canal. It is Hurricane Season in the Caribbean and you will sail thru that area on a Canal Itinerary. Also, for the last several years there have been Hurricanes in the Eastern Pacific along the coast of Mexico. Does your definition of "Fall" include November?

IMO, that would be the month to choose a Canal itinerary.

1. Eastern Caribbean

2. Alaska

3. Panama Canal

My thoughts are considering how much you have told us about yourself and the sort of wide range of options that you have asked about - you need to do more research and come back w some more specific questions. Based on your post, any answers that we can give you are useless.

DON

You don't mention anything about yourself...your age? Who you would be traveling with? interest in activities or nightlife? Have you cruised before?

A cruise ship is both a destination in itself and transportation to different ports. Both are important to consider.

If you are younger than 40 and a new to cruising...go with a Caribbean cruise. Its a good introduction to cruising and offers something for everyone. Caribbean cruises usually attract passengers of a variety of ages and offer a variety of activities. .

I just got off a full transit Panama Canal cruise and it was great...but it was a 15 day cruise and most of the fellow passengers were older (65+) and although there were many nighttime activities offered, there were not many passengers out and about after about 8:30. Very few passengers under the age of 60.

I've done 3 Alaskan cruises and loved each one. If you decide not to go on the Caribbean this would be my second choice, but not past mid September so I don't know if that will fit into your schedule.

I too am looking for a Panama Canal cruise. I want full transit, We are in our 60's and love cruise entertainment. Which ships and cruise lines would you recommend and what time of year? I guess the fall might be hurricane season. In the spring what months do you feel would be great and not too hot? Thank you

1. Eastern Caribbean

2. Alaska

3. Panama Canal

Caribbean cruising is something I try to avoid. I'm not a beach person and don't like hot/humid weather.

Alaska was fun and more about nature. In addition to cruising I've spent time in Alaska for work. It is a very beautiful place if you enjoy the outdoors. If I were returning on a cruise to SE Alaska, I would try to time it to coincide with the salmon runs.

The Panama Canal is a marvel and of the three is the best in my opinion. We took a Princess cruise out of either MIA or FLL (I can't remember which). Ours was a partial transit. We got off the cruise ship in Gatun lake and took a small ferry boat from the lake to the pacific side. It was kind of neat because we were up close to the locks and tucked in among other vessels. If memory serves the new locks were just starting construction when we were there. If you do a Panama Canal cruise I would recommend a balcony.

All just my opinion of course.