Would you take an infant on Mediterranean Cruise ?

I may be getting old .. but the logistics of taking a little one on such an adventure seems like asking for a great deal of stress to me.

Babe has yet to be born ( parents really don't know the rules yet LOL) But would like our friends (grandparents) to accompany them on the cruise.

Little one would be about 7months old....the thoughts of long TA flight with tiny ears, stroller, diapers,perhaps formula, not to mention potential teething and Noro :eek::eek: .. yep I am getting old :D

Wishing them a wonderful holiday...but too much stress for me.

p.s. I adore children.:)

Colleen----having been to the Med and loved it I would say that parents would not enjoy taking an infant along if they plan on touring. The Med is hot and crowded, making for a cranky baby. Also think about pushing a stroller through cobblestone streets. Hard enough with no crowd.

Washroom facilities often border on the primitive. They are not family friendly like the kind we are used to.

The Med is quite expensive and people should really get their money's worth out of the experience and that would be difficult with a baby.

My vote is "no" and I love babies too.

Hey Sapper ..hope all is well.

Good input I will pass it along...totally forgot about terrain, heat and crowds...but you are so right. Grandmother has her doubts about the trip...she thinks once the babe is born ..reality will sink in :)

My first cruise was a med cruise and I LOVED it. But I loved it because of the wonderful places I visited, and all the history that I got to experience first-hand by walking and touring. I don't think the parents would get much out of the trip if they have a 7 month old along.

If they want to take a family cruise together, somewhere warm, perhaps a Caribbean cruise, where the aim is relaxation more than cultural exploration, is a better bet.

Happy travels to all!

Sure the parents want grandparents along......

:rolleyes: Wonder Why.

Grandparents likely are thrilled to bits and eagerly await baby being born but how much are they going to love if they are expected to be built in nannies and deal with hot, unhappy, cranky baby being lugged along in the heat for tiring days. Parents will likely learn baby rules their world for a while and they cannot live the life they did prior to baby. I think it silly to plan such a trip with an infant but that is JMO and I KNOW others disagree.

It does not sound like any trip I'd be interested in. :D

I agree with everyone. We have been to the Med 3 times and I can't imagine bringing a baby along. Sapper had excellent points about the cobblestone streets, heat and the sometimes primitive washrooms. Another vote for no, not a good idea. :)

and there are at least two infants in strollers that I've seen. I won't comment on whether or not it's a good idea to do it; just stating that it is being done.

Actually, there are quite a few children on this segment of the cruise. Last segment there were hardly any. I think it may be a European school holiday as there are many from the Netherlands here. It is also Greek Orthodox Easter so that may also have something to do with it.

At any rate, other than some running up and down the hallways, while we're trying to sleep, the kids have been pretty good (so far). Did have an infant crying on the flight over which impacted us a wee bit.

Alberta Quilter thanks for on the spot reporting.:) How did the parents look. LOL.

Gal at work (returning from Florida )had a set of twins...who cried non stop the whole flight back to Canada... she spoke with Mom at luggage carousel.( little ones still crying ).Mom said " the last few hours of their holiday had totally negated any relaxation they enjoyed in the days previous "...TA flight would seem extra long with a distressed baby:eek:

Edited by COLLEYBERRY

We took our kids to Europe and South America when the were 10 and 11 months old and had a great time. I don't know if my wife would have taken them any younger than that.

On the other hand, the parents possibly could arrange a baby sitter from among the crew if they wanted to go ashore on their own (for a short time?). I think I saw something about the availability of that - but maybe it was just for dinner on board, etc.

I may be getting old .. but the logistics of taking a little one on such an adventure seems like asking for a great deal of stress to me.

Babe has yet to be born ( parents really don't know the rules yet LOL) But would like our friends (grandparents) to accompany them on the cruise.

Little one would be about 7months old....the thoughts of long TA flight with tiny ears, stroller, diapers,perhaps formula, not to mention potential teething and Noro :eek::eek: .. yep I am getting old :D

Wishing them a wonderful holiday...but too much stress for me.

p.s. I adore children.:)

Even if it was a "FREE" cruise I would not do it. :eek: IMHO it does not sound like it would be any kind of vacation for anyone.

On one cruise we had a baby across the hall from us, and that child SHRIEKED for nearly 24 hrs/day, for the entire 7 day cruise. YMMV, but I would not want to be any part of that party, y'know? :D

Colleyberry,

I think I am too old to consider that as well. Frankly, unless you bring your own sitter (which it sounds like this couple is trying to do) I don't know why anyone would want to cruise with an infant. All the baby paraphernalia alone for a 7 month old would be overwhelming. I love little babies but not on a cruise ship. If I were the grandparents I would prefer to let the parents go on the cruise and I would keep the baby at my house while they were gone.

If I were the grandparents I would prefer to let the parents go on the cruise and I would keep the baby at my house while they were gone.

Absolutely the best suggestion - after all, the baby isn't going to benefit from much of anything, and if Grandma's babysitting, what does she get to see? Of course, if the baby is still nursing, that might make a difference (it would make me wait to cruise).

I agree ...baby at home with Grandparents would be less stressfull...my problem would be leaving my baby for at least two weeks (I wouldn't have been able to do it).:o

Just curious ..what would be the cost of over seas travel insurance for an infant.

Even if it was a "FREE" cruise I would not do it. :eek: IMHO it does not sound like it would be any kind of vacation for anyone.

On one cruise we had a baby across the hall from us, and that child SHRIEKED for nearly 24 hrs/day, for the entire 7 day cruise. YMMV, but I would not want to be any part of that party, y'know? :D

I've had the same experience. I just wish parents would consider staying closer to home with the youngsters. How much are these children getting from the experience?

Edited by lorekauf

We did our first, and hopefully not our last, Med cruise last year and it was wonderful but it was intense. It was fun and exciting but I wouldn't go as far as to say it was laid back and relaxing. Wouldn't trade the experience for any other cruise or vacation we've ever been on but it was almost like we had to come home to get some rest. :D We had some 10 ports in 14 days and actually two of those were overnights so we only had two sea days. I can't imagine having too young a child, much less an infant, on a Med cruise.

I am in the minority here but we traveled internationally with our children when they were 6 months old. It is not the same experience as just traveling with adults, but...I don't want to end up in an adult only community without seeing people of all ages. Will the infant remember? No. But from our experience everyone will have such a great time. At that age they are much easier than a couple years later, and the crew loves them. I say go for it if the cruise line does not have an age restriction to prevent it. We took 11 family members on a Caribbean cruise when our great niece turned 1 year. We did a lot of things to make the trip enjoyable for everyone, and we purchased a life vest at a marine store that was suitable for her size. I think it would be a great trip for everyone. There is a family board on CC that also discusses this. If I were the grandparents I'd much rather be having fun with my grandchild on a cruise than staying at home. JMO Cherie

We've taken our kids to Europe the last three summers--since they were 6 and 9--and are on a Med cruise this June.

But, wow, when my son was 7 months old, I could barely get out of the house to get to McDonalds.

And we adopted my daughter from China when she was two but flying home from Hong Kong with a non-English speaking toddler quelled my desire for international travel for several years. (To everyone who was on that flight--again, my apologies. I'm sure you remember us.)