Cruising with Drones

crusing_with_drones

Hi guys,

Thinking of taking my DJI Mavic on board on Princess Cruises to take some shots of the Carribbean islands. Per the Princess Cruise website, the following bullet point under "Prohibited Items" refers to drones:

Drones (Unmanned Areal Vehicles - UAVs, Remote Piloted Areal vehciles - RPAs, or any other remote controlled areal devices/toys)

Does anyone have experience taking drones on board? I intend to only use them off the ship (glad to hand it over to security to safeguard and give it back to me while leaving the ship to get on the islands)

Let me know what you guys think

Don't even think about it. What do you not understand about prohibited? If you bring it, it will be confiscated.

Yes, I think they mean prohibited means no. I don't think they mean they will hold it for you until you ask for it. Aren't there laws in the various countries you would also have to consider?

During our last cruise around South America on the Ocean Princess, Steve Noble, a professional photographer and ship's lecturer, had one on board. He used it all around South America without problems. He also used it from the ship but being a lecturer, he had an "in" with the Captain and had permission.

Almost lost it at a glacier stop when the ship started moving and the "return to base" didn't work because "base" was somewhere else!

IMHO you would be OK if you first get permission in writing given that the drone stays in its case while on the ship.

A google search for Steve Noble and Photography should put you in touch with Steve directly if you want tips to make sure Princess will be OK with your request. Steve's a great guy (and an excellent ping-pong player) and he'll be happy to help you out.

Edited by beg3yrs

Hi guys,

Thinking of taking my DJI Mavic on board on Princess Cruises to take some shots of the Carribbean islands. Per the Princess Cruise website, the following bullet point under "Prohibited Items" refers to drones:

Drones (Unmanned Areal Vehicles - UAVs, Remote Piloted Areal vehciles - RPAs, or any other remote controlled areal devices/toys)

Does anyone have experience taking drones on board? I intend to only use them off the ship (glad to hand it over to security to safeguard and give it back to me while leaving the ship to get on the islands)

Anything listed in the "Prohibited Items" clause of the cruise contract is usually not permitted to even be held on the ship. If found in your luggage before sailaway you may be able to convince them to hold it for you at the terminal if you are on a closed loop cruise. If you are on an open-jaw cruise and have no one on shore to leave it with it will be discarded. Go right ahead and take that chance if you want--but I would not bet on one iota of a possibility of your being granted permission simply because a professional photographer engaged by the cruise line as an enrichment lecturer was.

Edited by fishywood

A number of things may happen if you attempt to bring a drone:

*May be confiscated and not returned

*May be confiscated and returned at the end of the cruise

*Not known, but expect it would be difficult to arrange to have the drone provided to you each time you exit the ship.

*May not be found in your luggage

*May be against local laws to use on shore. Caribbean Island's are their own countries, each with their own laws. Have you researched drone laws for each country you are visiting?

And then there are laws and regulations in other countries that must be considered. Who would really want the hassle and possible legal consequences in a foriegn country if they violate them. Sorry but leave it at home.

It is too bad that personal drones are getting so much bad press. The bad drone pilots are spoiling it for those who are responsible.

If one is into great photography, the use of a drone really expands one's capabilities. Of course responsibility is absolutely required.

A simple google search for "drone etiquette" will reveal the good apples are making an effort to teach others how to fly their aircraft responsibly.

While I pointed OP toward someone who successfully took a drone on board a Princess ship, that doesn't mean I condone flight operations from the vessel (wind is a big problem as well as complicated superstructure) or around crowded tourist areas. Steve Noble's operations from the vessel kept kept the craft away from the ship (except for take-off and landing) and got some fabulous shots of the glacier. On land he only used it where it would not be a nuisance. For him, it was a tool, not a toy.

BTW, these drone systems, when packed for travel take up a large suitcase size Pelican Case. Not easy to travel with. Steve's was on wheels.

Hi guys,

The OP clearly understands he not allowed to fly it on or around the ship. Off the ship it between him and the local cops.

I'd just write Princess explain what you intend to do requesting you be allow to bring it aboard under the condition it stays in it's case when on the ship.

Personally I don't like the things but understand their usefulness to a videographer.

FAA does not want people shooting them from the sky because they might hurt someone on the ground.

framer

Keep in mind that drone controls use radio frequencies. The laws concerning those frequencies are different in the Caribbean countries than in the US. Most radio items purchased in the US cannot be legally used in those countries.

There is also a variety of laws in different countries concerning drones.

http://www.antillean.org/caribbean-drone-uav-regulations-219321/

Edited by RDC1

The Caribbean situation with drones seems to be uncertain and is set out here. http://www.caribbean-council.org/drones-tourism-caribbean/ I would think that if there is any possibility of an item being prohibited or restricted by any country the ship might visit, Princess would refuse to allow it on board as they might not be able to enter territorial waters even if is secured under their care.

Even if you could skate by Princess and get it on and off the ship serreptitiously, I'd be more concerned about the govt. on some of the islands and their reaction to drones. Some of them don't like tourists wearing camouflage shorts! They might be highly suspicious of a UAV!

The Caribbean situation with drones seems to be uncertain and is set out here. http://www.caribbean-council.org/drones-tourism-caribbean/ I would think that if there is any possibility of an item being prohibited or restricted by any country the ship might visit, Princess would refuse to allow it on board as they might not be able to enter territorial waters even if is secured under their care.

Not true.

Some examples:

o The wearing of any form of camouflage clothing is illegal in Barbados and several other Caribbean countries. Princess does not forbid bringing that type clothing on board.

o Walkie-Talkies are not allowed in some Caribbean countries. Princess does not forbid bringing them on board.

Hi guys,

This is just my suggestion to you FUGHEDDABOUDIT!!!

Tony

I think you have a snowball's chance on the equator of getting a drone on board. First and foremost, it is a major security issue. People could put anything in or on a drone that would cause a major international incident. Second, I am presuming a drone is run by a battery? That provides another set of problems, whether battery or gas powered. And finally, I don't think that any country would take kindly to someone getting off of a ship and launching a drone over their cities, or rural areas. Way too sketchy. And, if they take it from you, either at the pier or when boarding a plane, they will not give it back. They will keep it. Not a chance I'd want to take.

Leave the drone home would be my opinion.

Maureen

I am bringing my Hubsan 502E with GPS on my next cruise. I am just planning to use it on shore. It cost $70 so if I lose it, so be it. If not, I will have some aerial pictures.

As far as frequencies go, it operates on the 2.4ghz band. If you use wi fi at an internet spot, you are also on the 2.4ghz band.

I totally understand that Princess doesn't allow these items, so definitely don't bring a drone on a cruise, but the comments on here are a bit surprising. Comparing it to rocket launchers and guns? A drone is basically a flying camera. I don't understand the comparisons? I have not kept up with the latest news on drones, so maybe I am just ignorant of latest developments.

I don't own a drone, but a friend of mine was demonstrating the exact same model that the OP is asking about. I thought it was a fascinating device and awesome for photography. I think drone footage from a cruise ship would be the ultimate, but in this day and age, the caution and security is way high obviously. What I saw demonstrated was a very controlled, flying camera. Not a gun or rocket launcher as some of you have compared it to in this thread.

All these dramatic responses to a simple question. :rolleyes:

The OP asked if anyone has had any experience taking a drone aboard! Yes, he did acknowledge it was on the prohibited items list...

So FWIW here is my recent experience....

Just got off the Diamond Princess a couple of weeks ago where an acquaintance of our tablemates bought a drone in Hong Kong. The drone was taken by security and then returned back to him at disembarkation. No problem, but it's clear he wouldn't have access to it beforehand.

In Nagasaki I bought a replica samurai sword (18 inches) at a vender at the pier before boarding. A gentleman behind me asked "you don't plan on trying to get that on the ship do you?" No I don't was my reply. I planned the sword was going to be held until we disembark in which security gave us a claim receipt....

Sword was waiting for us at the gangway among other confiscated items including a large package in a bag which I assumed to be the drone.

Edited by hel0013

All these dramatic responses to a simple question. :rolleyes:

The OP asked if anyone has had any experience taking a drone aboard! Yes, he did acknowledge it was on the prohibited items list...

So FWIW here is my recent experience....

Just got off the Diamond Princess a couple of weeks ago where an acquaintance of our tablemates bought a drone in Hong Kong. The drone was taken by security and then returned back to him at disembarkation. No problem, but it's clear he wouldn't have access to it beforehand.

In Nagasaki I bought a replica samurai sword (18 inches) at a vender at the pier before boarding. A gentleman behind me asked "you don't plan on trying to get that on the ship do you?" No I don't was my reply. I planned the sword was going to be held until we disembark in which security gave us a claim receipt....

Sword was waiting for us at the gangway among other confiscated items including a large package in a bag which I assumed to be the drone.

LIKE!

Very nice report. First-hand, factual and objective. No speculation or opinion. Perfect.