what is the best over the counter motion sickness medicine for cruises?

csgsu

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2010 at 8:18 PM, csgsu said:

I got a little sick on my trip to alaska and dont want to do it in the caribbean.......anyone have recommendations?

Our vote also goes to Motion-Eaze, used it many times and also shared it out to other Passengers who were suffering, worked very well in 98% of uses, no Side Effects no Drowsiness or Sleepy ness, means you can still enjoy the odd drink! or three.

Just rub it behing your ears and off you go.

There is only one kind of Meclizine HCL.  There are no separate formulas for drowsy/non-drowsy.  Dramamine II (marked as a non-drowsy formula.)is the same as Bonine but more costly.  Generic Meclizine HCL is the same and much cheaper.

I take it at night before bedtime.  If it were to make me a little sleepy, all to the good.  Only need it once a day unless the seas are very high.

• Like 1

Another vote here for Bonine - works great for me. It's non-drowsy and I haven't ever experienced being sleepy while on it (and on past cruises I've taken it twice a day). My mom gets really sea-sick and it always worked for her - she takes 1 in the morning and one before dinner on sea days and one about an hour before she gets back on the ship on port days. 

On 1/27/2010 at 5:06 PM, geegee1 said:

For times i've forgotten to take Drammamine before the sea sickness kicked in i've taken the ginger tablets and they work great. Most of the time now i wear the SeaBands

Sea Bands and Ginger pills or Ginger gum (WalMart) are my choices.  Do not take the pills as I do like to have a drink or so each night/day.  Do not care to take chance of mixing alcohol and medicine.  Also the pills will put me to sleep for hours and I choose to enjoy my cruise not to sleep all day.

I swear by green apples.  I keep a few in my room just in case.  Others also swear by this method. Here is a  report from the British newspaper the Sun on green apples and motion sickness.  https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/6471795/avoid-motion-sickness-planes-cruises-best-food-to-eat/

Edited by Tim,n,Sue
add sentence

19 hours ago, Trinam2 said:

I suffer from horrible seasickness. I used dramamine for years while cruising until I was introduced to sea bands on board once when I forgot my pill bottle. They are great and I don’t have to wear constantly either. I usually wear the first day and if the seas are calm remove until I feel the ship rocking a bit. I highly recommend them to anyone with motion sickness.

Sea bands are great.  Husband is sick with any motion.  You can buy at a travel store, online or at a dive shop.  Be sure to place them on the right area of your wrist. Sister in Law used when she was pregnant, she has terrible morning sickness, then her friend introduced the bands.  Now three babies later still uses them.  Myself I have used Bonine for years only when needed.  However if you are prone to sea sickness always start at least two days before the cruise.

CT

I get seasick on cruise ships.  I've tried bands, ginger, patches, and pills.  I now use "Less-Drowsey Dramamine" or the store brand equivalent. The active ingredient is Meclizine HCI 25mg.  I take them at bedtime starting two nights before sail-away..   

I used the scopolamine patches the first few years, but they don't stick to my neck very well and I started developing double vision. I found the bands helpful. The ginger pills are OK but I had to keep tasting them.  Good luck.

Sea sickness
Ginger - pills, candy, gum, pickled, tea
Ginger ale, 7up
Gin
Peppermints
Green apples
Saltines
Bonine
Dramamine
Benadryl 
Scope patch
Gravol 
Meclizine
Sea band - pressure points 
Horizon- eye concentration

(List from a friend)

Edited by neverbeenhere

As others have stated above, take Bonine or generic.  On advice of a pharmacist friend, I took one right before bed every night and never felt sick on a our Hawaiii cruise.   Do not wait until you feel sick.

My daughter suffered badly from sea sickness. She tried the remedies previously recommended with no success. On the advice of a colleague who previously worked as a nurse on a cruise ship she tried an antihistamine called Cetirizine 10mg once daily (in Canada the trade name is Reactine). This is usually used for allergy symptoms. 

Using this over the counter medication was a turn around moment for her. She has used it on 4 cruises since then with tremendous success. She is now able to enjoy cruising and especially the sea days.

Hope this helps.

D.