Radio

"LIVE" From Carnival Glory / June 14, 2010

Hello everyone. . . .

Welcome to my “LIVE” Cruise Report from Carnival Glory. . . I am in Newark International Airport area for a Pre Cruise stay at the Country Inn and Suites.

This is a very nice hotel, with great service (and comfortable beds) I stay here often before I cruise from Cape Liberty or Manhattan.

I will be boarding Carnival Glory tomorrow morning, for a 5 Night itinerary to Canada. We will be visiting the ports of Saint John, New Brunswick and Halifax, Nova Scotia.

I went on the same cruise in the Summer of 2008 on Carnival Victory. I never thought that a Cruise to Canada would be something that I would like to do, but I am here to tell you that I loved the cruise to Canada. My "LIVE" from Carnival Victory report can be viewed on Cruise Critic HERE. I loved it so much that I made a Video that can be seen HERE.

I can’t wait to board Carnival Glory tomorrow.

Carnival Glory was recently dry docked in the Bahamas, and was received a multimillion dollar upgrade that included the New Carnival Seaside Theatre, 18 new Balconies, new Adults only (Serenity) area, new Circle C Facility, and new Dining enhancements.

It will be fun to try to see all of the areas that have been upgraded, and I will be taking photos of as many of them as I can.

Those who have “sailed” with me before know that my reports are a little different from other reports you may have viewed on Cruise Critic. My goal is to bring as much of the experience as I can to all Cruise Critic members. . . I will be posting daily comments about the ship, activities, public area, and ports. . .along with daily photos (usually about 12-15 per day) as long as my wireless connection can hold out. I was happy to hear that Bow to Stern Wi-FI was added during the recent dry dock.

This will be my 10th Cruise with CCL, and it seems that I am now a Platinum Member, and will be looking forward see what the differences are from my previous CCL Cruises.

Mrs Radio was unable to cruise with me this time, but my Brother was nice enough to join me for this Cruise, and this will be his first time to Canada. . .

His wife insisted that he brings back some authentic Canadian Maple Syrup! :)

I will be boarding Carnival Glory tomorrow morning at about 11AM at the Manhattan Cruise Pier (12th Ave and W 55th St.)

The traffic should not be too bad, as I will have missed the rush hour traffic. I hope to be posting once I arrive in my cabin (hopefully) between 1 and 2PM.

Sit back and relax. . . I am hoping for an enjoyable, relaxing, and fun cruise!

Thanks for tuning in!

Radio

;);)

Carnival Glory

G2.jpg

Image Courtesy of Carnival Corporation

Edited by Radio

We'll be driving down from MA tomorrow morning and arriving about the same time as you. This is our 3rd Canadian cruise and we also love the itinerary. So relaxing and we can really enjoy the ship. Love the bagpipe welcome in Canada. We were on the very rough CTN in November on the Dream from NYC and wish to erase that memory! Won't have access to your updates while we are at sea with you, but can't wait to compare notes with our impressions. Cheers!

Hi Radio - I've been sooo waiting for this. Have a wonderful time and I look forward to your reports and photos. You do a super job. Have fun :D

Our neighbors will be on this cruise tomorrow and we will be taking the same one on July 17. Can't wait for details. We're trying to decide on excursions now.

We'll be leaving from Astoria about 10AM and taking the R train to Queens Plaza and transferring to the E to 50th Street, From there, either a bus ride or walk to the pier.

We'll be the two sweaty ones arriving a little after 11AM.

Have fun and thanks for the review. We are hoping to do this cruise Oct./2011. We are from Can. but have not been to the east coast. Have a blast!

Hi Radio,

I am looking forward to your review. I will be going on the Glory to Canada this Saturday June 19th. I am really interested in the MDR dinner menus so I can plan what night to go to the specialty restaurant.

Hi Radio,

'll keep my eyes tuned in for your reports. Everyone Else, This is a great man both as a travelloing companion and a reviewer. If you've never read a "Live" report by Radio you are in for a treat.

P.S. Deb and Pete say HI.

Radio - really looking forward to your review. Glory has a few more bells and whistles than does Victory.

And yogimax - Get a cab! From speaking with my son on LI earlier today, I gather it's pretty humid downstate, just like it is here - I'd get a ride from 50th Street to the port.:)

Edited by nybumpkin

As we have also done the Victory trip (3x) I look forward to your reports....we are going in August!!

:cool:

Hi Radio,

'll keep my eyes tuned in for your reports. Everyone Else, This is a great man both as a travelloing companion and a reviewer. If you've never read a "Live" report by Radio you are in for a treat.

P.S. Deb and Pete say HI.

Wow, Ken. . . Your check is in the mail ! :o

You can make t from Pittsburgh to NYC is about 6 hrs. . .right?

Radio

;);)

Radio--I have read your other "live from..." reviews & have visited your website. Thanks again for another live report!! Enjoy your cruise! :)

We've sailed on Glory twice so I'll be looking forward to seeing what's new and improved. Hope you have a great cruise. And yes, Canadian maple syrup is yummy.:)

Heather

Radio,

I have read and loved your other "LIVE" reports. I can't wait to enjoy reading your daily report for this cruise!

Edited by Ms. Fun Bunch

Oh boy!

This should be good! We're on the July 12th voyage. [Doesn't seem like anyone else is! No Roll call or anything that I can find] School isn't out in NY for another week or so...I wonder how many kids will be on board your sailing compared to July 12th?

Will be interested to hear if there is any ballroom/big band dancing and how afternoon tea is. I wonder if the band on deck will know the song "red, red wine"? Hmmm....

HLR

Hi Radio,

I hate to repeat what everyone else is saying, but you really are famous on Cruise Critic for your great Live reviews! My daughters, granddaughter and I are going on the 5-day Canada on Glory in August and so your review is perfect timing!

Have a wonderful time!

Christina

Also looking forward to your review as i live on the left coast and i'm saling the right one in September! Thank you for taking the time out of your trip to do this!

We're going on our second cruise in Sept., Same one we went on last year. I can't wait. I've been looking at the Canandian cruises for a while now . I'll be reading your daily posts and any info will be greatly appreciated.

I already have my first question. We were thinking of going up the day before the cruise by train ( right now in Baltimore we drive 30 min.). Where should we stay the night before and do they have a shuttle to the port?

Hello everyone. . . I woke up early today (of course), because I wanted to see Glory pulling into port. I was able to get some web cam images from Wired New York that can be seen below.

The weather today is cloudy, and about 65F. The sun will be coming out later today, and we should have a sunny sail away by about 5PM (hopefully). The forecast for sail away is sunny and 78F.

We will be docked at Pier 90 this week, and I have heard that there have been several upgrades to the Pier. I have sailed from all 3, but Pier 88 has always been the best “Passenger Friendly” pier in Manhattan.

I can see the Newark International Airport from my hotel, so we wont have to far to drive to get to the Pier in Manhattan. My friend, Mr. Google tells me that it should take less than 30 min.

I will be posting again from on board Carnival Glory. . . Thanks for tuning in !

Radio

;);)

Carnival Glory heading north up the Hudson River

NY1.jpg

She is about ready to dock

NY2.jpg

Come on. . . Your almost there.

NY3.jpg

Carnival Glory docked alongside Pier 90.

NY4.jpg

Edited by Radio

Can't wait to read your "live report" Radio. We just got off of her on the 10th and had a great time!

While we had no fog on the trip, it was windy and a bit cold the entire time. The pools and slide were open, but not a lot of people using them.

Have a great time!

Dear Mr. Radio,

I have never followed any of your lives. This will be my first and by everything I have read here it will be a great live. Can't wait. Your NY pics are fantastic. I appreciate your doing the live and I can't wait to read on. Have a nice day....Joanne

I can't wait to virtually join you on your trip. Thank you for taking time out of your vacation to do this. :)

Oh boy!

This should be good! We're on the July 12th voyage. [Doesn't seem like anyone else is! No Roll call or anything that I can find] School isn't out in NY for another week or so...I wonder how many kids will be on board your sailing compared to July 12th?

Will be interested to hear if there is any ballroom/big band dancing and how afternoon tea is. I wonder if the band on deck will know the song "red, red wine"? Hmmm....

HLR

There IS a roll call for our cruise on July 12th! It's a bit "sleepy" more than we're used to seeing....please go and comment and let's liven it up a little!

We're anxious and have cruise fever already! Less than 30 days now!!!!!

If we sign up for a wifi plan (it's like $24 for 60 mins) we will also provide some sort of a "live" report from the ship....can't wait!!!!!!!

Edited by johnjen

I have read your live reports in the past and am looking forward to this one.

We are sailing in Sept and I am excited and anticipating a fun time as always with CCL.

Our roll call is not very active so I have been reading all the roll calls for the Glory Canada/New England sailings.:o This will be a great "fix" for me. Thanks:D

Radio - We will be on the 10/9 cruise and are staying at the Country Inns. Glad to hear it's a great place. How will you get to the port? We were going to go back to the airport to catch the Carnival transfers, but have been looking into a car service called Carmel Car Service. Are you familiar with them? Do you have any suggestions? Thanks, we look forward to your reports too.

I wish CCl would have a 7 day cruise to New England, Canada:(

They do! and I'm on one October 9th! The Glory is doing 7-day NE/Canada beginning September 11th.

Radio...While you were on the webcam this morning watching her, I was seeing the Glory from the other side of the Hudson...as my bus went around the helix into the Lincoln tunnel. And tonight, going home, I'll see her pull out!

Always have loved your reviews & am anxious for your take on this ship.

Edited by cv322

HEY THERE!

I just got off the GLORY on the 6/6/10 cruise and just loved this ship. I loved the decor, layout and the crew. If you get a chance swing past the BURGUNDY BAR in the back of the ship by the piano bar and say HELLO to PERO the bartender from TOM, PETER, JIM and PATRICK!

He was awsome and definitely made our cruise a BLAST! :D

TOM

Edited by wiskt

Have an awesome time in my neck of the wood.

If you see Laura (AKA: Divetrash) tell her that I can't wait to see her on Thursday.

Joanne