Confirmed traditional, can we still do anytime one day?

lilacbirman

There are six of us who are booked for the 6 p.m. traditional dining. We will be in Juneau 2-10 p.m. We are planning to visit Mendenhall Glacier and (hopefully) Mt. Roberts and maybe look around town if my mom is not too pooped out by then. If we choose to do this and return to the ship say around 7 p.m., will we be allowed to do the any time dining or would we be stuck with eating at the buffet only?

It all depends. Some ships are checking your cruise card at anytime dining and if you have traditional, they direct you to the buffet, others are not. It is just hit and miss. If they don't allow it, the buffet or room service would be your only complimentary option.

Yes - you will be allowed to do so. Many people will be gone for dinner due to the times in port and there will be plenty of space for you in Anytime dining. This is expected given the time frame in Juneau.

There are lots of people who would wish for fixed seating, and are relegated to anytime ... so, when fixed seating people decide to go to the anytime venue, it creates some inconvenience for those who either were assigned or who chose anytime ... n'est pas?

There are lots of people who would wish for fixed seating, and are relegated to anytime ... so, when fixed seating people decide to go to the anytime venue, it creates some inconvenience for those who either were assigned or who chose anytime ... n'est pas?

Though - when the ship is in port like days like this, they allow it. The dining rooms are almost empty because everyone is exploring the town. We had some late evenings on my last trip and spoke to the Matride about it and they can easily accomodate them in Anytime dining as those dining rooms are empty also.

lilacbirman - just go to the Anytime dining room and explain you were in port late and let them decide if you are let in. I have no doubt they will welcome you with out any problems. Now if the port day ended at 5 pm, that is another story.

There are six of us who are booked for the 6 p.m. traditional dining. We will be in Juneau 2-10 p.m. We are planning to visit Mendenhall Glacier and (hopefully) Mt. Roberts and maybe look around town if my mom is not too pooped out by then. If we choose to do this and return to the ship say around 7 p.m., will we be allowed to do the any time dining or would we be stuck with eating at the buffet only?

Think of this way. There is only so many dinning seats. Three dinning rooms - 2any time and 1 traditional. There is enought dinning seats for all of the passengers. By taking traditional and then going to anytime you now have taken 2 seats. I go to anytime so you have taken my seat, now I must wait, because so many passengers have taken 2 seats it cause a long wait for anytime. Traditional diners have a seat. I have a seat in anytime. We take anytime dinning because we can eat when we want.

If you want to eat in anytime then cancal you reservation for traditional. You either have anytime for traditional, not both.

Think of this way. There is only so many dinning seats. Three dinning rooms - 2any time and 1 traditional. There is enought dinning seats for all of the passengers. By taking traditional and then going to anytime you now have taken 2 seats. I go to anytime so you have taken my seat, now I must wait, because so many passengers have taken 2 seats it cause a long wait for anytime. Traditional diners have a seat. I have a seat in anytime. We take anytime dinning because we can eat when we want.

If you want to eat in anytime then cancal you reservation for traditional. You either have anytime for traditional, not both.

The point is that more then half the ship will be in port. The Matrides say they allow it on days when the ship is in port late. The dining rooms will be empty. Everyone who wants a seat will get one.

OP - don't let these posters scare you.

I understand where they are coming from but they are not familiar with how dead the ship is during this time when the ship gets into port late.

Yes you can. As someone posted earlier, the dining rooms are empty when Princess docks late on the ship, unless it is pouring rain, people will be in port and not in the dining room. There will be no problems getting a seat in anytime and you will not be taking up someone's spot as the dining rooms will be very quiet. This happens all the time on these Alaska routes. If you have any questions just ask when you get on the ship. If your ship goes to Victoria you will encounter the same situation.

Some people who have never done this route think they have all the answers.

I agree that this is a special situation, with so many people off the ship at the dinner hour. But please, let's not translate this into encouraging traditional diners to "drop in" to anytime just because they feel like changing their schedule. It's just not fair to the true anytime diners who then may have to wait ---- or the many passengers who are closed out of traditional and would be thrilled to go there EVERY NIGHT.

My answer is a big NO!!! go to the buffet or order room service or go to a specialy restaurant. Do not infringe on the people who booked anytime. I don't know how I can make it any clearer!! Sorry these threads gripe me. You have many options.

The best approach might be to explain the situation to the Maitre'D prior. It's possible that due to the timing they may already have a solution in place for just those inquiries or he/she could make arrangements in advance.

I think it's the perfect opportunity to make late reservations at one of the specialty restaurants.

This would be my take as well - splurge and take advantage of one of the specialty spots - that way you still have a confirmed time and table just like traditional. If not sure of the time then Id just have to hit the buffet whenever you get back.

Last year on the Island in Alaska, my DH and I saw many people who missed their traditional dining time turned away from the anytime dining room. As with all anytime dining policies on Princess, it appears that the Matre'd makes the rules. You probably should check with him early in the cruise, and if he says "no", it will give you a chance to book specialty dining if you prefer that to the buffet. Don't assume anything. The "rules" seem to be in constant flux.

Ordinarily, it would be considered completely inappropriate to do this since some have been assigned anytime when they would have preferred traditional. However, the special case is when the ship is in port through the normal dining time. The maitre d' will usually have no qualms allowing you into anytime dining in this specific case (but check with him/her in advance and get their answer) since half the dining room will be completely empty. Any other situation and I'd recommend the specialty restaurants or the buffet, but in this case you'll likely be welcomed into anytime dining without hesitation since there'll be plenty of space. It still doesn't help the people that wanted traditional and didn't get it, but it won't cause additional wait times for the others in anytime since the rooms will be half-empty.

I agree that this is a special situation, with so many people off the ship at the dinner hour. But please, let's not translate this into encouraging traditional diners to "drop in" to anytime just because they feel like changing their schedule. It's just not fair to the true anytime diners who then may have to wait ---- or the many passengers who are closed out of traditional and would be thrilled to go there EVERY NIGHT.

Agree. And wouldn't it make sense that if a ship will be in a port late, that the dining rooms be considered open seating anyway (I seem to remember being on a cruise or two where port day dining was handled that way) or at least something be posted in the Patters giving the options for dinner that night (that if you are returning to the ship after your seating, you can...)?

We were on the Star June 11th to June 21st. The evening before our Germany port, we were told my our traditional servers that the entire traditional dining room would be open seating/anytime for our night in Germany, it was also posed in the patter.. We went to Berlin and did not get back to the ship until 9:00PM, we went to our normal dining room and were seated as if we were anytime diners. We even had a different table number.

They do make exceptions for late port nights.

Agree. And wouldn't it make sense that if a ship will be in a port late' date=' that the dining rooms be considered open seating anyway (I seem to remember being on a cruise or two where port day dining was handled that way) or at least something be posted in the Patters giving the options for dinner that night (that if you are returning to the ship after your seating, you can...)?[/quote']

It does seem like Princess should have this information made available to their guests in advance (that mornings' Patter). It's not like it's a surprise to the crew that they'll be in port late that night and people may be off the ship during the scheduled dinner time. We usually schedule the second traditional dining, so even on the late port days we're usually back on the ship in time.

Can you go to anytime, yes. Should you go to anytime, no. You shouldn't have it both ways. You already know you are going to have a problem with traditional, so switch to anytime. Or go to a specialty restaurant or to the buffet or order room service. I say this as a person who likes traditional and when situations arise that I am late in port, I use that day(s) to go to a specialty restaurant.

We have twice noted that the traditional dining room was open seating on late port calls. Both times it was in Europe.

I haven't seen that on Princess during my cruises with them, but that is how they should handle it when they're in port late into the evening and the dining rooms are mostly empty.

Last year on the Golden, we stayed in Honolulu until 11PM and I dont recall anything changing for our traditional seating time. I do remember the dining room being somewhat empty due to most folks being on shore but thats about it.

Archived