Does Meclizine 25mg make you drowsey?

tyd

I will be sailing CB ON 11/14 - SOUTHERN ITINERARY

Cabin is BA on caribe deck aft (even though category said mid-ship) it looks beginning aft to me.

On my last cruise I was in this area but on lower deck so I was fine. I did notice that the higher up I went and stayed aft the more motion and swaying I felt. It did make me a little sick, however, I just went back to the cabin to lay down and then I was fine.

Not sure if will experience any motion sickness, but want to prevent it just in case. I've been reading these threads and there are so many suggestions. I have always carried Dramamine, but have never had to use it.

I've been reading about cheaper version of Bonnie and Dramamine which is available in Walmart for about $6 for a bottle of 100 pills called Meclizine 25mg. Does these make you drowsey? Also are these medicines safe to take if you are currently taking HBP medicine?

I will be sailing CB ON 11/14 - SOUTHERN ITINERARY

Cabin is BA on caribe deck aft (even though category said mid-ship) it looks beginning aft to me.

On my last cruise I was in this area but on lower deck so I was fine. I did notice that the higher up I went and stayed aft the more motion and swaying I felt. It did make me a little sick, however, I just went back to the cabin to lay down and then I was fine.

Not sure if will experience any motion sickness, but want to prevent it just in case. I've been reading these threads and there are so many suggestions. I have always carried Dramamine, but have never had to use it.

I've been reading about cheaper version of Bonnie and Dramamine which is available in Walmart for about $6 for a bottle of 100 pills called Meclizine 25mg. Does these make you drowsey? Also are these medicines safe to take if you are currently taking HBP medicine?

My wife got motion sickness on a swing set as a kid but with meclizine she's gone on about 25 cruises & has spent hundreds of days at sea.

Dramamine made her drowsy, the patches did the same & gave her dry mouth but no problems with meclizine. They come in 12.5 mg or 25mg tablets & both are scored to make it easy to break the tablet in half.

She takes it before she needs it for the best effect & sometimes she takes it as a precaution if the weather is forecast to get rough.

I'd check with a doctor or pharmacist about interaction with your HBP meds. As I recall, it's similar to an antihistimine but not positive.

We've sailed in BA cabins several times & enjoy a larger, half covered balcony. We've been in the 300 series cabins just aft of suites on Caribe deck & were very happy with the the stability including my mal de mer prone wife.

Enjoy!

That's the same ingredient and strength as Bonine--which I love. I take it at bedtime the night before the cruise and continue until the end (if needed) or stop if the seas are calm. I stopped taking it after two days on our last two Caribbean cruises the seas were so calm and the ships (Golden Princess and Carnival Valor) so big!

Wow--what a deal. I think 8 Bonine are $4.49 at WalMart. Don't see why it wouldn't work as well as Bonine or non-drowsy Dramamine.

Try taking it only at bedtime to start and see if that helps. Many friends of ours have only had to take it before bed, and didn't need it again in the AM. ;)

Our traveling companions do that and it works very well. They take one tablet before bedtime, sleep well and are not drowsy the next day.

Mike:)

Meclizine is the generic form of Bonine which is for prevention of motion sickness. It is not effective for rapid relief of seasickness symptoms once they've reared their ugly heads. If you wait until you're sick you've waited too long and will have to wait probably at least twelve hours, perhaps longer, for cessation of symptoms. Therefore, it is wise to start taking meclizine/Bonine about 24 hours prior to anticipated need.

Yes, it may make you drowsy; but you'll just have to take it to find out. As mentioned by one of the prior responses, it might be better to take it just before bedtime. This is what my wife and I do, and it hasn't been a problem for either of us. If you're worried, you might try it at home and see what happens.

On the other hand, for rapid relief of seasickness symptoms, try a little candied ginger. I know it's anecdaotal evidence, but it always helps my queasiness, and I ride a LOT of roller coasters. :)

That's the same ingredient and strength as Bonine--which I love. I take it at bedtime the night before the cruise and continue until the end (if needed) or stop if the seas are calm. I stopped taking it after two days on our last two Caribbean cruises the seas were so calm and the ships (Golden Princess and Carnival Valor) so big!

Wow--what a deal. I think 8 Bonine are $4.49 at WalMart. Don't see why it wouldn't work as well as Bonine or non-drowsy Dramamine.

It's the generic of the expensive Bonine...generics are great options to consider & here's another example.

When someone tells me they take a "PM" type of Tylenol or Motrin medicine as a sleep aid, I ask if they need a pain reliever & they say no. The "sleepy" ingredient in these "PM" meds is generic Benadryl which is diphenhydramine HCI 25 mg...so why take a pain reliever if someone wants a sleep aid.

But that's a personal decision & no one should accept something they read on these posts about medical issues...just sharing our experience.

People have widely varying reactions to medication, so you really won't know whether it makes you drowsy until you take it. Since it's so cheap, get it and try it before your trip (assuming your doctor or pharmacist says it's okay to take with your other meds, of course). You can see from the responses here that it makes some people drowsy and doesn't affect others; everyone I know says dramamine knocks them out and it has no effect on me whatsoever. So you'll probably want to try it ahead of time and see how it affects you; that way, if it puts you to sleep, you can try something else.

On the other hand, for rapid relief of seasickness symptoms, try a little candied ginger. I know it's anecdaotal evidence, but it always helps my queasiness, and I ride a LOT of roller coasters. :)

Where can I find candied ginger? I don't think I've ever seen it in stores. Is it spicy or just sweet?

And, what about ginger in capsules form? Anyone have any luck with them?

Where can I find candied ginger? I don't think I've ever seen it in stores. Is it spicy or just sweet?

I've bought it in the baking section of the grocery store. You can also make your own (many recipes online). Here's what it looks like: http://www.amazon.com/Ginger-People-Crystallized-Candy-3-5/dp/B000EMAMYS

I use meclazine at night and ginger root during the day. So far, so good

We used it once, a generic form. Out of our group of 7 people and only taking it once at night we wll felt drowsy. After day 3 I threw the rest of the bottle away.

I haven't used any seasick meds since (2006, 5 cruises since that time) and have not felt seasick. If I do feel a little queasy I will drink a ginger ale. The ginger candy not only tasted gross, it gave me heartburn.

I's say to try it in advance of your cruise, don't wait until you are on the cruise.

Ginger capsules are available at Wal-Mart and I would assume at most larger pharmacies. Directions are on the bottle. No side effects for me except when I took more than the recc dose and got heartburn.

Meclazine made me drowsy, but I wonder if it was because I had a couple of drinks during the day?:rolleyes:

Better yet, find a spot in the sand under the shade of a palm tree.

Archived