Does Hal ever have real sales?

S.S.Oceanlover

They dropped the price for New England HAL customers on the Bermuda cruises but that's the only time I've noticed a "real sale". I've found the best bet" is to book the ship, date, and stateroom you want EARLY...on any cruise we've gone on, it's gone up from there.

And, I suppose, for those who don't mind gambling, wait for a VERY last minute special.

I need to know way out what I'm doing...that's just how my mind is wired. Too much to arrange. Flights to FFL, lining up our dog sitter well in advance, etc.

I get all the emails and snail mails saying one week only sales but the prices are never any cheaper then before the sale started.

Bill

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Actually you have to go on the one cruise listed that is on sale. What they do is put an Asteriz or a symbol on the one cruise date that is on sail. But they list several cruises. You have to read the fine print to see the cruise date for the cheaper (sale) rate.

Joanie

Well, I booked a trip for DH and Dd and DGS, a while ago. I've been watching the website and found that the price has gone down twice. Since I booked an OceanView and a Deluxe Suite, I called my agent and have had my fare reduced $1200 for both cabins. I think that is a sale.

Well, I booked a trip for DH and Dd and DGS, a while ago. I've been watching the website and found that the price has gone down twice. Since I booked an OceanView and a Deluxe Suite, I called my agent and have had my fare reduced $1200 for both cabins. I think that is a sale.

You are free to call it what you want i guess but that is not what i am referring to.

Congrats on the price reduction btw.:)

Bill

Personally I have really not seen a real sale. Have to say that Mrs. K and I almost always cruise in late winter/early spring in the Caribbean which is pretty much peak season. There certainly are better prices for fall Caribbean cruises and periodically I see supposedly sale prices but I can't say for sure they're really sales.

Since we have already had two price reductions (just called HAL when I found the lower price), I am not sure why you wouldn't call it a "sale." Usually a sale is an item being sold for less than original price as I understand it in my small mind.

I'll just keep checking prices, getting price reductions if warranted, and enjoy our upcoming May cruise even more!!!!!!!!!

Since we have already had two price reductions (just called HAL when I found the lower price)' date=' I am not sure why you wouldn't call it a "sale." Usually a sale is an item being sold for less than original price as I understand it in my small mind.

I'll just keep checking prices, getting price reductions if warranted, and enjoy our upcoming May cruise even more!!!!!!!!![/quote']

I'm talking about all the so called sales they constantly send me in the mail.

All summer I got stuff for Alaska stating 2 weeks only cruise to Alaska starting at $699.

The price was the same before I got the "sale" mail and didn't change a penny after the 2 week "sale" was over.

Getting the same stuff for the Caribbean for this winter. It's to hook the not so savvy cruiser and it's not a sale.

Kinda says to me that they think we are not very smart.

Bill

On at least two occasions we had the HAL price from the web in our hot little hands. Then the bumph arrived announcing a 'special sale'

It may have been 'special' for HAL because on one cruise the price for our cabin category (veranday) had increased-the other was exactly the same. Nothing much special about those sales.

We found that Princess does the same. Their junk mail goes right to the bin as well...no detour to the kitchen table.

We are booked on the Westerday to Alaska late May next year. When we booked a few weeks ago, it was "early booking" discount time. Now, our particular cabin choice (VA) is $150 cheaper per person than it was whe we booked it. Fortunately, our travel agent was able to get us a price significantly cheaper than the new price, so I won't bother her at this point. But the price of cour cruise certainly went down, for that category. If you were willing to take a VH or a guarantee, it is $250 cheaper (pp) than it was a couple of weeks ago. I certainly call that a sale!

Cruising is perhaps sadly no different than other consumer sectors where the goal is to attract your attention and it matters little if that special is really all that special if it gets results.

To illustrate that point a local grocery chain recently began stocking the ends of the aisles with what appear to be "sale" items but for those like me who check those displays are exactly the same as the price in the middle of the aisle and it's only the presentation that suggests to you it's somehow different and worthy of your attention.

About the only true deal HAL offers IMHO are the "Flash" promotions.

We book our cruises about a year in advance, and every time there is a flyer with a "sale price" we check with our travel agent, who calls HAL. Each time, the price for our particular cabin has gone up, not down, so we will continue to book early and we seem to get the best prices that way. This is also true on RCCL

George and Louise in Sun City Huntley

Cruising for week for only $699 is an amazing deal. You could try to see this as a sale that never ends, as opposed to never really being on sale.

How cheap do you want the cruise experience to be?

The smart consumers are the ones who go on these great cruises. The not so smart consumers are the ones who don't.

igraf

I'm talking about all the so called sales they constantly send me in the mail.

All summer I got stuff for Alaska stating 2 weeks only cruise to Alaska starting at $699.

The price was the same before I got the "sale" mail and didn't change a penny after the 2 week "sale" was over.

Getting the same stuff for the Caribbean for this winter. It's to hook the not so savvy cruiser and it's not a sale.

Kinda says to me that they think we are not very smart.

Bill

We think the Flash sales are usually the real deal.

They do depend on how well the ship is booked, so you can find a good deal or a great deal.

The past cruise we were watching the HAL website pricing and with the Flash sale we saved at least $1000 pp and the air was less than half priced. All this about 6 weeks out. You may win or lose, so this isn't for everyone!

I also book the cruise I want, and then keep my eye on any sale, as well as check prices other times. I've saved quite a bit this way before final payment. After final payment, I was given an upgrade for our holiday cruise coming up.

Agree with you regading Flash sales. These appear to be the only real ones. Celebrity is the same. These are the two that we pay any attention to.

Other than that, we book prior to final payment date and then hope to catch some price decreases or category pricing matrix changes that are to our advantage. Lately though, it has all been within the cancellation window since the pricing has been so good.

We are booked on the Westerday to Alaska late May next year. When we booked a few weeks ago, it was "early booking" discount time. Now, our particular cabin choice (VA) is $150 cheaper per person than it was whe we booked it. Fortunately, our travel agent was able to get us a price significantly cheaper than the new price, so I won't bother her at this point. But the price of cour cruise certainly went down, for that category. If you were willing to take a VH or a guarantee, it is $250 cheaper (pp) than it was a couple of weeks ago. I certainly call that a sale!

But you should call your TA! Even when mine gets me a substantially lower price than HAL's published fares (10 to 20% below), whenever there is a price reduction, she is typically able to pass on most if not all of that reduction.

But you should call your TA! Even when mine gets me a substantially lower price than HAL's published fares (10 to 20% below), whenever there is a price reduction, she is typically able to pass on most if not all of that reduction.

Oh! OK, thanks! I didn't realize that! I thought the price had to go below what I paid. Never hurts to ask, though! :)

Archived