Magnetic Walls on HAL?

YAC

When we were on the Princess cruises, the walls in the staterooms were magnetic so we could hang our maps on the wall. Does anyone know if the walls on the HAL ships are magnetic or should I bring some thumbtacks!!!:D

Definitely not on the R and S class ships. Definitely are on the Prinsendam (except possibly for the new cabins). IIRC, they were on Queen Victoria, so they could well be on the Vista and Signature class ships.

Roy

the walls in the staterooms were magnetic :D

Some wildly improbable images flashed through my mind.....well dressed ladies on formal night adhered to the walls of their cabins by their bling........the braces-pierced ears/nose/navel teens with face and body mashed against the powerful magnetic walls.......Delicious!! Off to bed with a smile on my face. Thanks for my giggle of the day!

We always bring magnets to post reservations, programs, etc. and have used them on the Eurodam, Noordam, Amsterdam, Statendam and maybe the Ryndam.
We always like to do that too, but found that we could not use magnets on our cabin walls on the Amsterdam. The walls of your cabin on the Amsterdam were probably made of different material than ours.

We had a balcony cabin on deck 6. I don't remember what the letter category was called but it was in the group that HAL classifies and sells as verandah suites, although they are really just nice, regular balcony cabins, not suites.

I've never checked to see if the walls are magnetic...but I doubt very much they are. Pretty sure that HAL would prefer you use sticky tack to put things on the wall rather than push pins or thumb tacks!

On the years we've sailed over Valentine's Day, our grandkids have made cards in advance for us and I've used sticky tack to put them on the mirror.

I've never checked to see if the walls are magnetic...but I doubt very much they are.
They are on the Prinsendam, at least in our cabin. As there wasn't a nightstand on DH's side of the bed and the back of his travel alarm was magnetic, I gave it a try. Sure enough his travel clock stuck to the wall. Very convenient. Since there hasn't been a reason, I've not tried on other ships.

The doors are magnetic. I have put holiday decorations photos on the outside of the door I think you could use the inside of the door but it's not a very broad surface. Blue tack would be better than tacks.

I have found that you'd need very strong magnets on the doors. Tried to put a postcard on the door with a refrigerator magnet and it kept falling off. Double sided tape worked fine as did 3M removable tacks.

When we were on the Princess cruises, the walls in the staterooms were magnetic so we could hang our maps on the wall. Does anyone know if the walls on the HAL ships are magnetic or should I bring some thumbtacks!!!:D

Almost all ship's interior walls are made of steel sandwich (i,e. steel, a filler like rockwool, and steel again). The material is highly fireproof, which is a condition of "class" (the safety rules).

Some ships have aluminum superstructure above a certain level, i.e. the higher decks have partly aluminum sandwich walls. This is lighter, but magnets won't stick to aluminum.

I usually bring magnets, as this saves me frantically searching for the day's program again and again. To be really prepared, you might want to bring a few bluetacks as well, but I think that a few inches of masking tape would be better (easy to remove and leaves no stain). YMMV.

• 3 years later...

Does anyone know if magnets will work specifically on the Nieuw Amsterdam stateroom walls? We've sailed her before , but it was years ago before I'd ever heard about the ability to use magnets on the walls. We'd love to be able to hang a few magnetic hooks for bathing suits & towels. Thanks!

Does anyone know if magnets will work specifically on the Nieuw Amsterdam stateroom walls? We've sailed her before , but it was years ago before I'd ever heard about the ability to use magnets on the walls. We'd love to be able to hang a few magnetic hooks for bathing suits & towels. Thanks!

There is a pull-out clothesline in the bathroom for use to hang laundry/bathing suits.

I can only speak for our cabins on the Nieuw Amsterdam (aft wraps) but the only place a magnet would stick is on the metal front-door frame which is very narrow.

We use blue tack to attach our doorbell to the stateroom door and Post-It Notes for the walls.

Edited by Crew News

We use that removable sticky tack stuff - 3M, I think. We always hang a large map of where we are going on the wall so it holds that up easily. Or as someone suggested, using part of the mirror space works best to take the stuff off. But we have never had problems taking it off the walls, no matter what ship, when it was time to take the maps down.

Edited by OlsSalt

ac227c1db6697d906eb906106546f4a9.jpg

As you can see I could put up magnets on the wall of my cabin on Westerdam. The clip magnet at the bottom was the Westerdam magnet I purchased onboard.

My cabin door was not magnetized. Somebody actually asked that here on Cruise Critic as I was sitting in my cabin, so I tried it. Everything just fell right down (I even tried the clip magnet with nothing in the clip).

hmm - have never had luck with magnets on the Amsterdam, even really strong ones - must be a room thing as do have a favorite cabin. Now use removable tape on the inside of the closet doors for itinerary, etc. and 3M removable clips/hooks on the walls. Always bring a shower 'fuffy' and use a removable hook in the shower.